Wood wants to put Cards on the run

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 15, 2004 12:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/0115cards0115.html

Alex Wood's watch was still set to Eastern time Wednesday, so it was a little unfair to ask the Cardinals' new offensive coordinator to give a detailed evaluation of the players he has inherited.

But Wood, Cincinnati's receivers coach this past season, thinks he has some tools with which to work.

"We know this is a talented football team," he said just after the team confirmed his hiring. "We have a big offensive line, and those guys can create some creases and some seams. I think we've got a talented corps of receivers, and we have an outstanding tight end (Freddie Jones). We've got some talented guys at the quarterback position, as well."

Wood said he has long been "enamored" of quarterback Jeff Blake, and that he was impressed with Josh McCown two years ago at the scouting combine.

"I think the game has always been about being able to run the football," Wood said. "If we can run the football successfully, all those other things will fall into place."

Three other members of Dennis Green's coaching staff were officially announced Wednesday: Kirby Wilson, running backs coach; Richard Solomon, defensive backs; and Steve Wetzel, strength and conditioning coach.

Solomon and Wetzel worked under Green during his tenure with the Vikings. Wilson spent the past two seasons as Tampa Bay's running backs coach. Before that, he worked at the University of Southern California, the Washington Redskins and the New England Patriots.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, former Bears offensive line coach Bob Wylie has been hired to coach the offensive linemen, but the Cardinals did not confirm that.

Wood, 48, spent the past five seasons in the NFL, four with Minnesota and one with Cincinnati. Before that, he was a college coach for 21 years, most notably as an assistant at Miami under Dennis Erickson and as head coach at James Madison.

He compiled a 23-22 record there before joining Green's Vikings staff in 1999 as quarterbacks coach, working with Daunte Culpepper.

In Cincinnati last year, he coached starting receivers Chad Johnson and Peter Warrick, who enjoyed the best seasons of their careers.

This is Wood's first experience as an NFL coordinator. He's taking over an offense that finished 27th in total yards per game and was last in scoring.

"Alex Wood has been destined to be one of the top coaches in the NFL for a long time," Green said in a statement. "He has touched every base throughout his career. . . . He's ready for the next step."

spanky1

Reaction score
............been a admirer of Blake's......liked McCown from his Senior Bowl............is this a smoke screen or has Wood tipped his hand as to our draft strategy (ie no Manning or Ben R.)

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Hmmm?

Thanks Art.....good stuff.

As far as comments made by Wood.....smoke if ya got em.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
gotta go with 473

on this to a degree. He's not going to come in his first interview and badmouth anyone. He's also not going to tip anyone off as to how we're leaning in the draft, if, they even know yet. Doing that could have us at someone's ransom demand.

ATLCardsFan

Reaction score
Woods and previous coaching experience

I was at the 1AA football powerhouse of James Madison University when Woods was there, and from what I remember, he loved to throw the ball. We were always trying to stretch the field.

I hope he brings some of this to our team, however I don't believe we have a burner on our team for this.

Can't wait to see what the new season brings.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!

pinnacle

Reaction score
we do have some "alleged" burners (gilmore and Mcaddley) - which is why the are still on the roster. I think both ran track in college. If they could figure out how to run routes and catch - they might be ok...but so far they have been disappointing (although - for the record - gilmore was an Undrafted free agent and Mcaddley was a 5th or 6th round pick - so I suppose we should not have expected much)...They were kind of Jerry's (sullivan) boys...but they have not done much and I would guess at least one of them will not be around next year...Johnson has some speed - he did not look as fast as his workout time indicated when we drafted him (supposedly 4.4 or 4.45)...but he has the potential to get deep..