WR Anquan Boldin Donates $10,000 To Independence High School

Jim O

Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, November 14, 2005

Tempe, AZ – Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin is making a surprise visit to Independence High School (7650 N. 43rd Avenue, Glendale) on Tuesday, November 15 at 2:30 p.m. to donate $10,000 to help benefit the school’s football program with new uniforms and equipment.

Boldin is donating $5,000 out of his own pocket and that figure is being matched with a grant from the NFL’s Youth Football Fund.

The NFL Youth Football Fund (YFF) is a nonprofit organization founded by the National Football League and the NFL Players Association. The YFF seeks to use football as a catalyst to promote positive youth development and also insure the health of grassroots football in future generations.

Through the Player Matching Youth & High School Football Grant Program, current NFL players who make financial contributions to youth and/or high school football programs may apply to the YFF for matching funds of up to $5,000 for those respective programs.

Boldin will present the check in the school’s courtyard when the students get out of class for the day. He will also be signing autographs for the students following the check presentation. The students know Boldin is visiting the school, but they don’t know his reason for appearing.

- www.azcardinals.com -

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Boldin Donates $10,000 To Independence High School

You must be registered for see images

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin made a surprise visit to Independence High School in Glendale on Tuesday, November 15 to donate $10,000 to help benefit the school’s football program with new uniforms and equipment.

“This is a school that I just fell in love with,” commented Boldin. “I actually held a camp here over the summer and Coach Moore was so helpful. He got his whole team to come out and help with my camp and ever since then I’ve been in contact with the football team and the basketball team.”

“He has come out to lift with the guys and he has really taken a special interest in our kids,” shared Independence Head Football Coach Kelley Moore. “He’s been on the sidelines for a couple of games and it has really been a morale booster for our program.”

Boldin donated $5,000 out of his own pocket and that figure was matched with a grant from the NFL’s Youth Football Fund.

The NFL Youth Football Fund (YFF) is a nonprofit organization founded by the National Football League and the NFL Players Association. The YFF seeks to use football as a catalyst to promote positive youth development and also insure the health of grassroots football in future generations.

Through the Player Matching Youth & High School Football Grant Program, current NFL players who make financial contributions to youth and/or high school football programs may apply to the YFF for matching funds of up to $5,000 for those respective programs.

Boldin presented the check in the school’s courtyard when the students got out of class for the day. He then signed autographs for the students following the check presentation and also took time to visit the boys varsity basketball practice and speak to the athletes.

"This is why I have my foundation,” said Boldin. “It is built around giving younger people better opportunities and trying to even out the playing field.”

Boldin has also made it to a few of the high school's football games this season and has brought out teammates Bryant Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to support the Patriots.

“I think it is important to get out and support them,” added Boldin. “You never know how much of a difference it can make just by showing someone you care.”

In addition to Independence High School Boldin also donated the same amount of money to his high school in Pahokee, Florida.

“It all starts at home,” added the former Florida State standout. “It is something that I have always wanted to do and now that I’m in this position I like to find different ways to give back to the community, especially back home.”

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of players donate to their hometown. It was really cool of Quan to give to a local school.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
jw7 said:
A lot of players donate to their hometown. It was really cool of Quan to give to a local school.

I remember Stump Mitchell (Former Cardinal RB and Current Seahawks RB Coach) would come to some of my high school games and stand on the sideline. He would even go to some of the road games. Back then, we were 2A so there were some serious road trips. I remember he was standing on the sidelines at Quenn Creek High School and thier PA Announcer made an announcement that he was signing autographs. Of course, he didn't agree to that, but he signed about 500 autographs anyway. Great guy and it meant a lot to have him there.

Good for Anquan! :thumbup:

seesred

Reaction score
One of the many reasons I root for this team regardless of it's shortcomings is all the good things that come with the team players and owners to our comunitty. Yes I wish they would win more, but the truth is it doesn't really matter. What matters are the people of need in our city, state and country.Guys like Fritz and Q and Johnson going out to the school is very great stuff. Read the list of charities that the Bidwill family gives money to every year.

If you root for another team that's okay. Just remember they give nothing to us here in Arizona and could care less, heck they even try to hurt our players, and beat them up(just funnning).

GBR

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Jim O said:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, November 14, 2005

Tempe, AZ – Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin is making a surprise visit to Independence High School (7650 N. 43rd Avenue, Glendale) on Tuesday, November 15 at 2:30 p.m. to donate $10,000 to help benefit the school’s football program with new uniforms and equipment.

- www.azcardinals.com -

Umm....it really isnt a suprise visit if there is a press release about it :shrug:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Metcalf Rules said:
What's up with the Red Sox hat?
Because Randy Johnson is standing next to him?? :shrug:

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Metcalf Rules said:
What's up with the Red Sox hat?

Anquan has a ton of hats. He may be wearing a Red Sox hat in the picture, but I have also seen him with Yankees hats on. He even has a Green Pinstriped Yankees hat. :D

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Umm....it really isnt a suprise visit if there is a press release about it :shrug:

Yeah, that was kind of odd.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim O said:
Anquan has a ton of hats. He may be wearing a Red Sox hat in the picture, but I have also seen him with Yankees hats on. He even has a Green Pinstriped Yankees hat. :D

Anquan Boldin invented hats.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
independence isn't at 43rd ave ... i think it is around 75th or 83rd just south of glendale ave

either way, pretty cool thing to do

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jw7 said:
Stop wasting bandwidth in stating the obvious.

We have some people (see above post) who are blind to the truth.