You want a coach? Jeff Hornacek...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Jeff Hornacek is ideal coaching material.

He's been out of the game a couple years, been around the coaching ranks his entire life (Dad is a long-time high school coach), and just recnetly moved back to Phoenix.

Plus, JC owes him one since he traded him to Philly.
:D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
been around the coaching ranks his entire life (Dad is a long-time high school coach)

This is a joke, right? His father coaches high school, so therefore he's qualified to walk into an NBA head coaching job with no experience?

I loved Hornacek as a player, but he is definitely not the answer as a coach. Not now, at least.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I'm ignorant.

I wasn't a Bball fan in the early 90's as I lived in Buffalo.

What happened to Paul Whestpaul?

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
been around the coaching ranks his entire life (Dad is a long-time high school coach)

This is a joke, right? His father coaches high school, so therefore he's qualified to walk into an NBA head coaching job with no experience?

More qualified than Terry Porter.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
And, don't forget. He's been around Jerry Sloan for a few years.

That didn't hurt.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I think he would be great as an assistant. MAybe a shooting coach. We need a veteran coach from outside the organization

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Jeff Hornacek is ideal coaching material.
A former Guard with no experience as NBA Head Coach.

There's a new idea . . . . except for Paul Westphal, Danny Ainge, Scott Skiles, and Frank Johnson.

Did Jerry put you up to that suggestion, sly fly? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Better than some other crap I've been hearing.

Everybody wants a new coach. It's just no one can provide a better replacement.

Who cares if a guy has coaching experience the NBA? He better have better people skills, because reaching today's players is comical.

Ask Larry Brown, who didn't want to deal with AI's BS anymore.

Oh, BTW... Nate McMillan seems to be doing fine.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He better have better people skills, because reaching today's players is comical.

That is true in many cases. However, by all reports, Frank Johnson gets along with his players well. And yet he is still ineffective.

"Real" coaches can still be effective, although I grant you that the circumstances are becoming increasingly rare. The Suns have all of their key players under contract for at least two more years, so now is the perfect time to bring in someone with real authority. If the players don't like it right away, tough -- let them adjust for a change.

And no, I'm not advocating a return to someone like Scott Skiles. Skiles's problem was that he was a hardass without having the experience behind him to back it up. Just being a jerk isn't enough: the new coach would have to really know what he's talking about, with the track record to prove it.

fordronken

Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Everybody wants a new coach. It's just no one can provide a better replacement.

Just because nobody on a Phoenix Suns message board knows who would be a good replacement, it doesn't mean that Bryan and Jerry Colangelo can't actually field interviews and put a little effort into finding someone.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Hornacek wouldn't be a bad choice (gamble) at all. Like stated prior he's been around basketball his whole life with his dad being a highschool coach then Jeff having a long successful NBA career. He played under a lot of coaches including being coached by Sloan which is a big plus IMO. Also Jeff has ties to the Valley and was a fairly popular player when he was here.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If you were forced to pick a guy with no experience then Hornacek would be a reasonable candidate... he seemed to be a saavy player. But there are a lot of assistant coaches around the league so why not do some research and find one who's got several years of experience and strong recommendations from the coaches he's worked for and with... and some players as well. Put Jeff into the competition if you want and see how he compares. Such a method won't guaranttee an ace coach but the chances are lot better than going on a hunch and a smattering of information. Or picking the nearest ex-guard that's somewhere in the Sun's organization.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I just read the strongest indictment of FJ yet on another board. The guy said his mom asked him why the Suns don't run plays like the other teams do!

The second best is Frank himself on the sidelines... if he had any faith in what he taught the guys in practice would he be standing on the sidelines constantly trying to direct them? And this after he said he wanted to institute a motion offense so he wouldn't have to be calling in plays from the sideline. (In fact, he also said at the time that BC didn't want him calling plays from the sideline either. I guess BC knows more than we give him credit for... though it's a puzzlement why he didn't hire a coach who he would like calling the plays.)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you were forced to pick a guy with no experience then Hornacek would be a reasonable candidate

If the Suns were going to take someone with no experience, my vote would be for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He has been trying to get into coaching for a while now and he fits the other qualifications I would be looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05