You want to read something frustrating - INJURIES

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1993 - KJ gets injured right before the playoffs, then Ceballos gets hurt (out for the playoffs), then Barkley hurts his elbow in the Finals.

1994 - Barkley's knee's and back give out on him after Game 2 of the second round - he has surgery right after we lose.

1995 - First Danny Manning goes down - then Barkely's knee gets screwed up in Game 6 - he limps around for Game 7 - we lose by 3.

1996 - This team didn't have much a chance anyway - but rookie sensation Michael Finley twists his ankle right before the playoffs - we lose in the first round 3-1 to a mediocre Spurs team.

1998 - Not only do we lose 6th man of the year Danny Manning right before the playoffs, but then we lose Rex Chapman for a couple game sof the playoffs as well.

2000 - About a month before the playoffs and starting to look like a contender - Randy Livingston rears his big ass ugly head into Googs knee - a couple weeks later - Kidd goes down with an ankle injury - in a battle of MASH units, we beat the Spurs, but ultimately at less than full strength, we lose again in the second round.

2003 - Marbury suffers stinger - can barley do anything for the playoffs, we lose to the Spurs 4-2

2005 - JJ

So my question is this - when was the last time we actually hada team capable of doing ANYTHING that actually maintained it's health throughout the playoffs?

It freaking PISSES ME OFF!!!!

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
1988-89 and 1989-90 we were pretty healthy throughout the playoffs. The first year we were too inexperienced to beat the Lakers, and the second year we completely collapsed in a very winnable series against Portland. I wouldn't say injuries hurt us that much in 1993 either.

I agree about one thing though: Barkley and Manning’s serious injuries in 93-94 & 94-95 probably cost us two championships. We haven't had much luck since then either.

Hopefully we can pull off this series and have a reasonably healthy JJ for the rest of the playoffs.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
1988-89 and 1989-90 we were pretty healthy throughout the playoffs.

you obviously forgot (as did I) KJ - in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals in 1990 - having scored 16 in the first half against Portland and with us up ten at the half - pulled his hammy late in the second - he didn't play in the second half and we lost a close one at the end - Horny tried to carry us with 36, but without our leader, it just wasn't enough.

But thanks for bringing up THAT memory!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But isn't that pretty normal? The Heat are without O'Neal right now, the league's second most valuable player (heh). Dallas hasn't enjoyed the services of Keith Van Suck, excuse me, Van Horn. The Sonics have lost Rashard Lewis. Duncan still doesn't look full strength. The Pacers are missing Artest, although that's a somewhat different problem; in any case, Jermaine O'Neal hasn't gotten over his shoulder problem. That leaves only the Pistons, but give McDyess another couple of weeks and chances are he'll get hurt again.

I guess once in a while a team makes it through the postseason without losing anyone important, but that's probably the exception.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I guess once in a while a team makes it through the postseason without losing anyone important, but that's probably the exception.

actually - it's probably THE CHAMPION. And for it to seemingly happen EVERY SEASON just sucks - there hasn't been ONE postseason when this team has been worth anything worth a lick that they've ever been totally healthy throughout - that's the reason we never win any titles - and it pisses me off.

jibikao

Reaction score
Well, I can live with injuries if we can get something out of our bench.

I mean JJ is basically the backup PG for Nash!

Our bench looks thinner and thinner each day...

By the way, is it me of I think JJ's face looks so bloated? lol Looks like he just gained 10lbs or something. Man.. .

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jimmy Jackson showed he can still play. :thumbup:

Realistically, the Suns would be through the second round if JJ had not been injured. The fact that they may win it anyway is a testiment to just how talented this team is. Talented but not very deep.

If the Suns do get by Dallas, they absolutely will need JJ back for the Spurs. I think the Spurs can be beaten, but not without the Suns best defender and three point shooter.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It is my fault. I am a jinx. My dad is certain he is a jinx.

Me and my brother got season tix for the birds and they sux ass.

We are jinx.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I disagree.

I think losing Ceballos was a killer and a huge factor in the finals.

The Ceballos injury hurt somewhat, but I think that's overdoing it a bit. In 93' he was the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench, behind Ainge, Chambers and Miller. Plus, Dumas turned into a monster in the postseason.

I wouldn't equate that injury with what happened in 94 & 95, or with what's happening now with Joe Johnson. I firmly believe a healthy Barkley and Manning would have brought us consecutive championships. I'm less convinced a healthy Ceballos would have done the same.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
The Ceballos injury hurt somewhat, but I think that's overdoing it a bit. In 93' he was the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench, behind Ainge, Chambers and Miller. Plus, Dumas turned into a monster in the postseason.

I wouldn't equate that injury with what happened in 94 & 95, or with what's happening now with Joe Johnson. I firmly believe a healthy Barkley and Manning would have brought us consecutive championships. I'm less convinced a healthy Ceballos would have done the same.

The injury that hurt us in 93 was KJ's. Remember, he hurt his knee when Barkley jumped on him after that amazing last second shot to win a meaningless game in Portland late in the year. KJ was never close to 100% in those playoffs. He was mostly a jump shooter in the Finals, and that was not what made him special. It made it much easier for the Bulls to defend us.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
That Marbury shoulder injury p*ssed me off. He was unstoppable before that. Dominating Parker, hitting floaters, 3s and in a zone. After that he couldn't shoot or even make a free throw.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
That Marbury shoulder injury p*ssed me off. He was unstoppable before that. Dominating Parker, hitting floaters, 3s and in a zone. After that he couldn't shoot or even make a free throw.

it was especially irritating because he got hurt on a somewhat dirty pick set by Malik Rose. I don't even think there was a foul called on the play.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

not to nitpick - but wasn't Steph actually pretty off in the first two games we played SA - besides his running abnk for thw in in Game 1? I remember thinking to myself that he wasn't dominating Parker like he had in the regular season.

Anyone got his stats for the first two games of that series?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan