#27 and #35 Trade Talk

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The conversation around pick #4 has gotten a ton of attention to this point in the off season. I’d like to start a conversation about picks 27 and 35.

I think both picks are in great spots from a trade standpoint. Teams like KC, Buffalo, Carolina etc., could look to draft WRs or Oline help.

Any thoughts as to what you all would like to see here? IMO if someone drops to either that makes way too much sense like Latu, Murphy, or Verse I stick and pick. However if for example KC wants to jump in front of Buffalo for a WR like McConkey, Mitchell or Worthy and we can pick up 95 or a future 2nd I would be intrigued.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm tossed up. Moving 35 back into the first round should probably be fairly easy.
The extra year of cost control is nice. But if I'm being honest I would rather get another 2nd, around pick 42-46 or so.

I would be more than happy to give up all our picks in the 4th,5th,6th, and 7th rounds to get that second rounder too.

That would give us 4 picks in the top fifty and seven in the top hundred or so..... I think that's plenty of young blood for one off season, and in spots where the quality should be good.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm tossed up. Moving 35 back into the first round should probably be fairly easy.
The extra year of cost control is nice. But if I'm being honest I would rather get another 2nd, around pick 42-46 or so.

I would be more than happy to give up all our picks in the 4th,5th,6th, and 7th rounds to get that second rounder too.

That would give us 4 picks in the top fifty and seven in the top hundred or so..... I think that's plenty of young blood for one off season, and in spots where the quality should be good.

I like this idea.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'm more interested at moving down from #27. Look at the cluster of players from #27-35 and you'll see a dozen players that Cardinals could use.

Unless a Latu, Murphy, or other player you didn't think would fall, starts to drop, the smarter play would be to trade down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just take MHJr and whatever falls at 27.
I’ve never seen a fan base so ravenous for bundles of less talented players when superstar talent is within its grasp.

You’d think after the Suggs/AP disasters, long time fans would be loathe to ever repeat that, much less in back to back seasons, coming off back to back 4-13 seasons. But what do I know?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I would be surprised if one of three 3rd rounders are not used to bundle with either #27 or #35 to move up for a specific player. #90 with #27 equals #21 range. #90 with #35 equals #28 range.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a fan base so ravenous for bundles of less talented players when superstar talent is within its grasp.

You’d think after the Suggs/AP disasters, long time fans would be loathe to ever repeat that, much less in back to back seasons, coming off back to back 4-13 seasons. But what do I know?
I get your point, but would challenge that.

This draft is on paper the best draft across the board in recent history.
If you listen to some of the draft podcast - PFF etc. You have the highest graded OT in 10 years, The highest graded TE ever, the 3 WRs are graded #1, #2 and #4 in the last 9 years (Only Chase splits those 3). The deepest WR class ever with 15 players that normally would be considered potential 1st rounders. The OT class is the same with 5-6 players that would normally go in top 15 in any other draft. The non-Elite but very highly rated group of players is deep at CB and DL (picks 6-15 in any other draft).

On top of that it's most likely that you have 4 QB taken in the top 5. Very likely 5 QBs are taken in the top 15.

The run on QBs and the deepness of this class means that you will get a player in the first 50 picks that normally would be drafted 10-15 places higher. If you compare it to the very bad 2022 class, then there are 8-10 players in this draft that would have gone #1 overall in 2022. Remember the 2013 and drafting Jonanthan Cooper at 7 overall? The Duke guard is rated higher than Cooper was and he is mocked in the early 20's in this draft.

So while I get your point, but if you want to do it, this is the year to do it and why it should be considered.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

You’d think after the Suggs/AP disasters
i think this is a strawman. Nobody is ready to trade down to 20 or something.

If you have a pick that has excess value attached to it because a team can take a QB there -- a good GM should capture that excess value. A great one will do it AND get a similarly rated player

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amen

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
i think this is a strawman. Nobody is ready to trade down to 20 or something.

If you have a pick that has excess value attached to it because a team can take a QB there -- a good GM should capture that excess value. A great one will do it AND get a similarly rated player
Except that's not how it works. Trading down out of the range of the absolutely top-rated players doesn't land you a top-rated player. A good GM should *sometimes* get that excess value while at other times be wise enough to stay put and take the top talent staring them right in the face.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This draft is on paper the best draft across the board in recent history.
That’s how it’s been projected. That doesn’t mean it’ll actual end up being a good draft. For all we know, this draft could end up like the 2013 draft when it’s all said & done.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm more interested at moving down from #27. Look at the cluster of players from #27-35 and you'll see a dozen players that Cardinals could use.

Unless a Latu, Murphy, or other player you didn't think would fall, starts to drop, the smarter play would be to trade down.

Sure. But, frankly, who knows? We can only guess as to the pecking order on the CARDS board.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For me, 27 is the more enticing pick to trade. I have read twitter speculation regarding Monti trying to trade 27 or 35 for young, established player. Not sure I believe it, but it is smart avenue to explore. I have said before, I don' know how much value 27 will have. Trading down from 27 would likely make sense.

@DVontel @Krangodnzr @GatorAZ @SoonerLou @Harry The Cardinals seem to be interested in Cooper DeJean...do you guys think he can play CB in the NFL? He seems too stiff to me, but I may be off.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For me, 27 is the more enticing pick to trade. I have read twitter speculation regarding Monti trying to trade 27 or 35 for young, established player. Not sure I believe it, but it is smart avenue to explore. I have said before, I don' know how much value 27 will have. Trading down from 27 would likely make sense.

@DVontel @Krangodnzr @GatorAZ @SoonerLou @Harry The Cardinals seem to be interested in Cooper DeJean...do you guys think he can play CB in the NFL? He seems too stiff to me, but I may be off.
I think he is a bit stiff, but I think his instincts make up for some of the stiffness.

You draft DeJean with the idea that if he doesn't work at outside corner, he will work at safety. Similar idea as Antrelle Rolle.

To me, that's not really an enticing idea though.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Except that's not how it works. Trading down out of the range of the absolutely top-rated players doesn't land you a top-rated player. A good GM should *sometimes* get that excess value while at other times be wise enough to stay put and take the top talent staring them right in the face.

there is no rule that says trading down = out of the range of top rated players.

this is especially true when the target of the trade up is a QB.

if the Cards traded down to #6, thats still in the range of top-rated players.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could see a team that misses out on a QB early in the first move up from the second to secure that 5th year option on a 2nd tier QB. Maybe a team like the Raiders or Falcons target a player like Michael Penix Jr.

So maybe the Raiders trade #44, #77 and a 2025 5th to move up to #27.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I could see a team that misses out on a QB early in the first move up from the second to secure that 5th year option on a 2nd tier QB. Maybe a team like the Raiders or Falcons target a player like Michael Penix Jr.

So maybe the Raiders trade #44, #77 and a 2025 5th to move up to #27.
I'd probably want more than that, and they likely toss in a future 2nd or third. That's a pretty big move down.