2024 Free Agency thread

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Romeo Okwara as a cheap vet Edge option?

Had a 10 sack season in 2020, then had a bad achilles injury in 2021 and missed the season, took him out of a lot of 2022 too. Stayed healthy last year but didn't start and only played 250 snaps (2 sacks).

Still only 28. Might be cooked but some vet depth and would be cheap.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Had a 10 sack season in 2020, then had a bad achilles injury in 2021 and missed the season, took him out of a lot of 2022 too. Stayed healthy last year but didn't start and only played 250 snaps (2 sacks).

1/1m... get him in camp and see what hes got

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those hot for Josh Sweat, have you seen his numbers?

I know he's a good player, but do you really want to pay $20m+ a year to a guy who's best year was 11 sacks in 2022 playing on the best D line in the league?

He had 6.5 last year and his other years are 7.5, 6 and 4.

That's a lot of money for a guy who is essentially prime Markus Golden.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So many people appear to be satisfied with two straight offseasons of not acquiring a true difference maker. 2023 we acquired basically nobody, and this year it's a bunch of questionable to mediocre starters. Where will the difference makers come from? The 2023 draft certainly doesn't scream any big difference makers? Is our entire strategy to draft 5 stars in this draft?
First off I see very few star free agents available, unless you are counting the mostly old running backs which in general are not a good investment cap wise.

This team is going to live and die by our offensive improvement that's where we have some star level talent.

I am more than fine building up the D through the draft over a few years, because that is where you get star players, and I think if the O is good enough your D doesn't have to be a world beater.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I know he's a good player, but do you really want to pay $20m+ a year to a guy who's best year was 11 sacks in 2022 playing on the best D line in the league?

yes.
simple... dude was maturing, then started progressing in Gannons system towards stardom...gannon left, his production fell off.

Logic suggests that putting him back into the system in which he was most successful should result in double digit sack seasons again.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The sack production isnt elite but totally different players, different impact as pass rusher

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
First off I see very few star free agents available, unless you are counting the mostly old running backs which in general are not a good investment cap wise.
Again - if you're painting yourself in the "star or bust" category, you're going to have a bad time. There are above average players we desperately need. Should we turn our nose up at all of them as well?
This team is going to live and die by our offensive improvement that's where we have some star level talent.
Where?
I am more than fine building up the D through the draft over a few years, because that is where you get star players, and I think if the O is good enough your D doesn't have to be a world beater.
Seems like we're adding mostly D through FA, so we'll likely target offense in the draft? I guess we'll see.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The Edge room is getting crowded if you're planning to draft an edge in the first two days. Okwara is Victor Dimukege.

I thought about this take too but it's TOO SPICY. I think his best-case scenario is Bradley Chubb. You just have to worry about making him The Dude on a defense. I think he's more like Alex Highsmith.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good on the Texans for helping their potential superstar QB.

And now good on the Panthers doing their best to save Bryce Young.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Good on the Texans for helping their potential superstar QB.

And now good on the Panthers doing their best to save Bryce Young.
lots of roster bonuses coming Friday that will force some moves

Joey Bosa has one coming and I think he gets released (the Chargers are in a bad cap place anyway)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Crazy how different the rebuilds are between the Cards and the Texans.
we were in the same position as them on draft day in 2023... high pick, had a QB coming that was supposed to make a difference. They went out, were aggressive in FA and made an immediate turnaround, got the Conference Semi-Finals and look to continue to make big moves.

we looked below mediocre once Kyler came back, did next to nothing in FA last year and this year we're building "the belly of the team".

that blows. Right now I think we've marginally improved on D from an F to hopefully a C- and on offense we're down a LT (or a RT depending what they do with PJJ), a G and have no starting WR. Looks like a team treading 3-5 water to me if this is the extent of our FA moves. Harrison will def improve the offense if we draft him and don't trade out for more quantity over quality again, but there's still major holes outside of the #1 position as well.

that's not to say this is terrible plan like I'm sure some will willfully misconstrue my point to be. it's just unbelievably underwhelming. The idea that we can't spend big money to get at least ONE difference maker just isn't reality. Everyone mocked the Rams for years for "mortgaging their future" with big signings and guess what... they got a Super Bowl Title, ONE down season and are STILL better than us while we play the belly of the beast game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
we were in the same position as them on draft day in 2023...

in fairness -- last year was the third year in a row that the Texans were a top 4 pick. They waited until last year to take the QB (built the roster before the QB)

the Cards will be in the second year of a top 4 pick. Lets hope there isn't a third

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
“The idea that we can't spend big money to get at least ONE difference maker just isn't reality“

Are you sure about that? I see these contracts with big guaranteed money and I have to wonder if Bidwill is actually able to match something like that. As has been discussed on other threads he doesn’t have the cash flow of other owners so these contracts with huge guarantees may be out of reach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler, Harrison JR, McBride, and to a degree Conner.

That's all the weapons you need to have a very good offense.

While the offense is also missing a starting Tackle and Guard? Also, that’s a lot of pressure on a rookie WR. Yes, we’ve seen some rookie WRs play well right out of the gate, but some need time before they hit their stride, even if they’re taken high in the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The idea that we can't spend big money to get at least ONE difference maker just isn't reality“

Are you sure about that? I see these contracts with big guaranteed money and I have to wonder if Bidwill is actually able to match something like that. As has been discussed on other threads he doesn’t have the cash flow of other owners so these contracts with huge guarantees may be out of reach.
Then that billionaire’s “cash poor” ass shouldn’t own a football team. And if he wouldn’t sell, which we all know he won’t, he deserves to be trashed until he actually spends enough to put a good product on the field.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Then that billionaire’s “cash poor” ass shouldn’t own a football team. And if he wouldn’t sell, which we all know he won’t, he deserves to be trashed until he actually spends enough to put a good product on the field.
Thing I’ll never understand about these terrible relative cash poor owners is they could still sell 51% of the team and still be the billionaire owner of a pro sports franchise.

Would be one thing if Bidwill’s were actually running a successful business and didn’t trust someone else to have control however that’s certainly not the case.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so send him an email...take out a billboard,..run a commercial on PBS... but the fans dont deserve to be dumped on

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Big. Time. I mean, I like the moves on the face of it, but nowhere have we gotten a difference maker. We can't just have a defense full of ho-hum to duds. We need a playmaker or two

Crazy how different the rebuilds are between the Cards and the Texans.
Besides the part where their qb is on a rookie deal

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison