2024 1st round pick #27 is Darius Robinson Edge

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@BritCard Maybe you just aren’t very good at scouting the DLine ;):p

I get what you mean though. I would have felt better if we had got him at 35, but then again I am loving what I see from Melton. Maybe we should have been the ones to trade down into the 2nd with this pick and still picked him up. Hope he balls out though

Sure. I'm no scout. But I have eyes. There's nothing good in Robinsons interior film. It's extremely bland.

But as he's been given 56 which is an Edge number I'm confident they are going to use him how I thought, which is mostly 5-9 tech. If he lines up "inside" I don't think it will be much more than 4i/5.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure. I'm no scout. But I have eyes. There's nothing good in Robinsons interior film. It's extremely bland.

But as he's been given 56 which is an Edge number I'm confident they are going to use him how I thought, which is mostly 5-9 tech. If he lines up "inside" I don't think it will be much more than 4i/5.
From what I've read, they asked him to be an inside plugger to occupy blockers.

The reason they asked him to move to edge was because they knew he could do more if asked. It's not a common thing to go to a tackle and ask them to move to edge; you aren't going to do it if you think it had no chance of working.

If Robinson had multiple years of film playing the way he did last year, he wouldn't have been available at pick #27, he likely goes just outside the top ten. In some ways, he's the defense version of Xavier Legette, but at #27, you're pretty much always getting a guy with question marks.

I do agree, he will be a failure at the interior, the way he rushes he needs a bit more space than the interior provides. I do think they need to get him playing games and stunts in the middle because Robinson will be a problem for IOL when he gets some steam built up.

In some ways, Robinson kind of reminds me of Aldon Smith, another Mizzou guy.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that DRob was picked in Robert Nkemdiche territory!

So we have an established Cardinals' benchmark for success for a DT drafted in the late 20s! haha :)
Don't forget Dumpster Dan Williams! At least he played 7 seasons and we picked up his 5th year option.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I've read, they asked him to be an inside plugger to occupy blockers.

The reason they asked him to move to edge was because they knew he could do more if asked. It's not a common thing to go to a tackle and ask them to move to edge; you aren't going to do it if you think it had no chance of working.

If Robinson had multiple years of film playing the way he did last year, he wouldn't have been available at pick #27, he likely goes just outside the top ten. In some ways, he's the defense version of Xavier Legette, but at #27, you're pretty much always getting a guy with question marks.

I do agree, he will be a failure at the interior, the way he rushes he needs a bit more space than the interior provides. I do think they need to get him playing games and stunts in the middle because Robinson will be a problem for IOL when he gets some steam built up.

In some ways, Robinson kind of reminds me of Aldon Smith, another Mizzou guy.

I don't see the Aldon comp at all Krang.

My whole point in this is as you said, everything that got him even to pick #27 came from him playing Edge, in which case we should play him at Edge. Everything good he does comes from the Edge. He's not at all quick, but neither was Chandler Jones, but Robinson is 285. Having a 285lb guy come at you off the Edge with his first step is not something tackles are used to seeing.

We could play him inside where he's less of a threat but that's wasting the 1st round value.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

My whole point in this is as you said, everything that got him even to pick #27 came from him playing Edge, in which case we should play him at Edge. Everything good he does comes from the Edge. He's not at all quick, but neither was Chandler Jones, but Robinson is 285. Having a 285lb guy come at you off the Edge with his first step is not something tackles are used to seeing.

We could play him inside where he's less of a threat but that's wasting the 1st round value.
Actually really disagree. Robinson has a pretty quick first step, he's just not trying to bend the edge like a smaller guy. He gets in the OL face very quickly and has elite hands. This is why I compare him to Aldon; look up their combine numbers, very similar.

I saw one analyst say that where you see his lack of speed is when he's chasing downfield and the film kind of backs that up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually really disagree. Robinson has a pretty quick first step, he's just not trying to bend the edge like a smaller guy. He gets in the OL face very quickly and has elite hands. This is why I compare him to Aldon; look up their combine numbers, very similar.

I saw one analyst say that where you see his lack of speed is when he's chasing downfield and the film kind of backs that up.

He has a quick first step, but he runs a 4.95. He's slow in space. Lots of instances on his film where even if he keeps contain quick players run around him.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are looking for the perfect comp then IMO Robinson is a Cameron Jordan clone.

Both Jordan and Robinson were top performers at the Senior Bowl and quickly climbed draft boards afterwards.

Both Jordan and Robinson are similar in size and body makeup: 6'4"ish 290lbs ish.

Both Jordan and Robinson have long arms that they use to Lockout defenders

Both Jordan and Robinson are Explosive off the line.

Both Jordan and Robinson have the versatility to play on the Edge or inside.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are looking for the perfect comp then IMO Robinson is a Cameron Jordan clone.

Both Jordan and Robinson were top performers at the Senior Bowl and quickly climbed draft boards afterwards.

Both Jordan and Robinson are similar in size and body makeup: 6'4"ish 290lbs ish.

Both Jordan and Robinson have long arms that they use to Lockout defenders

Both Jordan and Robinson are Explosive off the line.

Both Jordan and Robinson have the versatility to play on the Edge or inside.

And that would be fine by me given that Jordan plays the vast majority of his snaps on the Edge. That's all I'm saying. He should be Edge with a little inside. Not inside with some Edge.