2024 1st round pick #27 is Darius Robinson Edge

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cards need to get three solid starting quality (can start for half the teams in the NFL) out of the first three rounds in the 2024 draft to show a minimum level of competence.

This team doesn't have many meaningful free agents over the next two years. They have to be building, because there's no one great in front that would block a young prospect. If you're swinging for doubles, your average has to be high.

I have no problem with this assessment. If your plan is to build through the draft then I think you need to hit on several of your draft picks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the Cards need to get three solid starting quality (can start for half the teams in the NFL) out of the first three rounds in the 2024 draft to show a minimum level of competence.

This team doesn't have many meaningful free agents over the next two years. They have to be building, because there's no one great in front that would block a young prospect. If you're swinging for doubles, your average has to be high.
High by NFL draft standards is 50% so I agree with your overall assessment.

If they somehow hit on 75%, Monti is going to look pretty smart

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Trying to compare what other teams selected to what the Cardinals selected is a Fool's Errand. How do you compare a 4-3 DE to an Offensive Tackle? How do you grade a single Offensive Lineman when it is more of a team/unit based position? How do you project a player who played in a 4-3 defense to a team that runs a completely different defensive scheme? How do you grade a player who is surrounded by elite talent to a player who plays on a team with a limited roster? There are just too many variables.

This is why I believe it should all be about the players who the Cardinals selected. IMO the Cardinals need quality starters out of this group of 6 and that is all that matters at this point. At a minimum the Cardinals need at least two sure fire starters out of this group of 6. Everything else would be gravy after that.
Except your analysis doesn't take into account what we lost in the trade fully. You can't say "look, we got all these players" without admitting we gave up other picks that turned into other players. It would unevenly weight the trade.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trying to compare what other teams selected to what the Cardinals selected is a Fool's Errand. How do you compare a 4-3 DE to an Offensive Tackle? How do you grade a single Offensive Lineman when it is more of a team/unit based position? How do you project a player who played in a 4-3 defense to a team that runs a completely different defensive scheme? How do you grade a player who is surrounded by elite talent to a player who plays on a team with a limited roster? There are just too many variables.

This is why I believe it should all be about the players who the Cardinals selected. IMO the Cardinals need quality starters out of this group of 6 and that is all that matters at this point. At a minimum the Cardinals need at least two sure fire starters out of this group of 6. Everything else would be gravy after that.
The same way I can tell you who the better player is between:
Levi Brown and Adrian Peterson
or Terrell Suggs and Bryant Johnson/Calvin Pace

Just like this year. At the end of the day, you just take the best player. Don't get cute with trade down. We can only hope that last years trade down doesn't end up the same, with Will Anderson being that perennial probowler/HOF'er and us with a few average/serviceable guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't 'write' him off, nor do I see him as the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

Peterson's name does crop up because he's a future Hall of Famer.

Are you adding that to your predictions regarding Anderson?
Peterson wasn’t a HOFer when we all complained at the time of the draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This pick still massively concerns me.

There is nothing in Robinsons tape or stats that say he's in inside guy. He was a ghost in the draft world until he moved to full time Edge this past year. All his senior bowl success was at Edge. If Robinson played inside this past year he's going 4th or 5th round.

It's very concerning if they drafted him to play him predominantly inside as high as they did. I only hope they intend him to play more at Edge.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

There is nothing in Robinsons tape or stats that say he's in inside guy. He was a ghost in the draft world until he moved to full time Edge this past year. All his senior bowl success was at Edge. If Robinson played inside this past year he's going 4th or 5th round.

It's very concerning if they drafted him to play him predominantly inside as high as they did. I only hope they intend him to play more at Edge.
It is possible that the scouts and coaches saw something about him that made them think that he could be effective, playing inside. And if not then playing him at the Edge. I'm just a fan.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Rallis has already explained that he'll line up outside or inside, depending on down and distance.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In terms of physical size he and Stills are practically clones and Stills played on the inside the majority of last season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In terms of physical size he and Stills are practically clones and Stills played on the inside the majority of last season.

It's not his size that concerns me. It's his ability. Nothing he has done inside says he is worth a 1st round pick to play that position. I've gone back and watched his 21 and 22 film when he played much more inside and it's extremely meh.

If he's going to line up on the Edge 70% of the time he plays and 30% inside depending on the down and distance then ok. I still think he should be a full time edge because everything that made him a 1st round pick came from the Edge, but I can live with 70/30.

If he's going to be 70% inside and 30% Edge then it's a huge waste of a pick from what I have seen. As a DT / 3-4DE you could have gone all the way back to pick 54 and Michael Hall and got a better interior lineman.

Before last season started, when he'd played predominantly inside, he was a projected day 3 pick. Literally everything that made him a day 1 pick came from him playing Edge.

I've heard the poor man's JJ Watt comparisons with the ability to move in and out. JJ only played 12% of his career snaps at 3 tech. He played most 44.4% at 6 to 9 tech, wide Edge. And 42.9% at 4/5 tech. So over 87% no further inside than head on with the tackle. If that's how me use Robinson it should be ok.

At the Eagles Gannon liked to play Okie fronts with someone inside at 4 tech directly over the tackle and someone with speed on a wide alignment they would be forced to block with a TE. That would be ok in true passing scenarios.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@BritCard Maybe you just aren’t very good at scouting the DLine ;):p

I get what you mean though. I would have felt better if we had got him at 35, but then again I am loving what I see from Melton. Maybe we should have been the ones to trade down into the 2nd with this pick and still picked him up. Hope he balls out though

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@BritCard Maybe you just aren’t very good at scouting the DLine ;):p

I get what you mean though. I would have felt better if we had got him at 35, but then again I am loving what I see from Melton. Maybe we should have been the ones to trade down into the 2nd with this pick and still picked him up. Hope he balls out though
This is the correct line of thinking. Maybe they liked him but for all intents and purposes, we probably could have got him in the second. In general, I don't like the idea of trading down but I hate reaching even more. This reminds me of a Deone Bucannon type move. Reaching for a guy in round 1 that more than likely would have been there in round 2 in a trade back if we really wanted him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the correct line of thinking. Maybe they liked him but for all intents and purposes, we probably could have got him in the second. In general, I don't like the idea of trading down but I hate reaching even more. This reminds me of a Deone Bucannon type move. Reaching for a guy in round 1 that more than likely would have been there in round 2 in a trade back if we really wanted him.
There were rumors out there that teams were trying to trade back into the 1st round to draft Darius. I'm not so sure he would have been there, so you take the guy you value.

Plus, Monti already stated that they thought Darius would be gone by 27.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There were rumors out there that teams were trying to trade back into the 1st round to draft Darius. I'm not so sure he would have been there, so you take the guy you value.

Haha, I always believe what the GM says to justify his pick. Just like Keim had Byron Murphy ranked in his top 10, right?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, I always believe what the GM says to justify his pick. Just like Keim had Byron Murphy ranked in his top 10, right?
Of course not, but they definitely have less reason to lie after the draft than before...

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Saw a rumor that the Lions were planning on taking him until Arnold fell.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Who says he'd have been available in a trade-back?

If MONTI, a little more in the know than anyone here thought so, he likely would have taken advantage.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hate the Mel Kipers saying "You could have gotten this guy in round two," nonsense.

All the time we see guys go WAY earlier than the draft pundits projected or way later!

I ran hundreds of mock draft simulations and I tried the "get Darius Robinson at pick #35" and he was gone over 50% of the time. Darius had some serious buzz when teams were able to see him up close and personal at the Senior Bowl.

I probably stated 4 or 5 times that I thought Darius would be the pick and I had a few drafts where the Cardinals selected Harrison, Robinson, Melton, and Elijah Jones. Those were four guys I definitely wanted and the Cardinals got them