2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's official. MHJr will wear #18

Now we just need Fanatics to stop being cheap and pay Harrison what he deserves.
He should get what the other pros get in a standard NFLPA licensing deal. Not in college any longer. He'll make plenty in salary and endorsements already.

HE is the reason fans cannot get a jersey of his, not the NFLPA.

I would get someone else's jersey on the team just because they did things the normal way and have their merch available already.

He is just guaranteeing fewer jersey sale of his own jersey than if he had signed the deal and they were available just after he was drafted. Meh.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He should get what the other pros get in a standard NFLPA licensing deal. Not in college any longer. He'll make plenty in salary and endorsements already.

I would get someone else's jersey on the team just because they did things the normal way and have their merch available already.

He is just guaranteeing fewer jersey sale of his own jersey than if he had signed the deal and they were available just after he was drafted. Meh.
You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I saw the replica jerseys at got sports this weekend and they are garbage. Yikes.
If we are being honest the ones from fanatics are pretty garbage too...same quality we once got at target for 20 bucks...

Meanwhile, I still have my dual layer stitched Howie Long jersey I bought 30 years ago

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Fanatics usually locks college students into a horrible 4 year deal their sophomore year that lasts until they are two years into the pros. After that first deal Fanatics offers a real deal. Since MHJ comes from money, he never signed the scam deal that Fanatics offered him in college. The hold up (that I believe has been solved) is Fanatics wanted now top 4 draft pick MHJ to sign the same awful deal that he rejected in college instead of giving him a real pro deal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fanatics usually locks college students into a horrible 4 year deal their sophomore year that lasts until they are two years into the pros. After that first deal Fanatics offers a real deal. Since MHJ comes from money, he never signed scam deal that Fanatics offered him in college. The hold up (that I believe has been solved) is Fanatics wanted now top 4 draft pick MHJ to sign the same awful deal that he rejected in college instead of giving him a real pro deal.
Some people love to pop off about stuff they don’t know.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'll pull my hair out if I have to hear another podcast or read another post about a jersey number and/or comments on merchandise compensation.

This is a football forum not Paris fashion week.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'll pull my hair out if I have to hear another podcast or read another post about a jersey number and/or comments on merchandise compensation.

This is a football forum not Paris fashion week.
that means less when youre old enough for a toupe'

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But, while it was tongue in cheek above, he has shown a clear inability to throw timing routes that aren't an out route. It is, in my opinion, the weakest part of his game. Which sucks because it's kinda crucial. His ability to throw with anticipation on lateral routes has been poor also, with plenty of examples of him throwing behind receivers running digs or crossing routes.
Yes.

KM throws like a baseball player. A baseball player throws to a stationary base/plate and very seldom is looking to hit a fellow defensive player who is on the move. (Watch when guys are trying to toss to a D-player in a rundown---it is when the ball goes skipping to the sidelines.) KM prefers a 'spot on the field' such as a 10-yard out. How many DHOP catches were 10-yard sideline over-the-outside shoulder connections? Ditto the maddening number of failed behind-the-line passes to guys like Moore at a complete standstill and waiting for the ball. (When one of the fastest guys on the field is at a total stop, he becomes the slowest guy on the field.) Defenses caught on to that route and still KM persisted in the play---at least he got a Target-Catch on the route. KM wants his receivers to stop and turn toward him for the catch (like a first baseman waiting for the ball from a SS). It is one reason many of our WR going over the middle have so few YAC---they get hammered by the D either while making the catch or right at the point of the ball arriving. It is also why big TE's make the connection with KM---they are slower and are used to going to a spot and turning to make the catch and big enough to hold on after taking the hit.

Hitting a receiver in stride requires the QB to calculate where that receiver is going to be before the QB releases the ball---again, hitting a moving target instead of a stationary target. KM can make these throws when the guy is wide open and a few yards away---it is when there is some distance and/or defenders in-between that KM has difficulty. When a defender blocks KM's vision, he has trouble completing the cognitive map of where the guy will be in his route and when/where to release the ball. This is the real meaning of 'not being able to see his receivers.' We get KM dancing around trying to improve his view of the play and then either running or giving the 'heave-it in the general direction and hope for the best' plays. When a DB is in a trail position and gets behind a WR on a deep route, KM has trouble with the instant calculations to where he needs to put the ball where only the WR can get it. Witness the many misconnections to speed guys like Hollywood and Moore where a TD was there except for the overthrow.

Making connections on deep lateral passes and crossing patterns requires the QB to not only calculate the speed of the receiver, but the speed and make-up distance of the defender(s). On too many of these plays, KM has a brain fart and, to avoid an INT, will throw a toss-up ball with the expectation that the receiver will make the catch. For great receivers, it can work (see DHOP coming down with the ball on those type of plays). It is also how our receivers come down injured after going up for a toss-up or a ball-behind-the-back (see DHOP, AJ Green, going up in double coverage and coming down with a wrecked knee). Our new WR MHJ needs to know when to NOT bend and twist to make a reception on an inaccurate pass---especially since he is going to have coverage rolled over in his direction.

Of course, there are exceptions to these observations. It is the glimmer of hope that KM can change and improve his play. Let's see if he accepts going under center more---it will only stand to improve the run game and the play action passing. We are building a run game and need a QB who will adapt to that aspect of the playbook.

In Feb 18, 2024 Harry posted a 'To-Do' List on what KM needs to do to progress as a QB. His points apply to every single year that KM has played with the Cards (my conclusion). His opening paragraph:

Now that it seems the decision has been made that Murray will be the QB in 2024, it’s worth noting some of what he has to improve to fully succeed. I specified 2024 because his contract is slightly more moveable in 2025. Still if he doesn’t show potential in these areas he might not be attractive enough to move anyway at his high cost. I said during the season that I thought he’d played well enough to have earned another year. 2024 is that year. Whether he is the Cards’ longterm, franchise QB is yet to be determined. All of these areas can be seen being executed in part by other current NFL QBs. Watching film and learning technique is critical. Murray’s ability isn’t in question, just his determination. Here’s the list of possible gains.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

KM throws like a baseball player. A baseball player throws to a stationary base/plate and very seldom is looking to hit a fellow defensive player who is on the move. (Watch when guys are trying to toss to a D-player in a rundown---it is when the ball goes skipping to the sidelines.) KM prefers a 'spot on the field' such as a 10-yard out. How many DHOP catches were 10-yard sideline over-the-outside shoulder connections? Ditto the maddening number of failed behind-the-line passes to guys like Moore at a complete standstill and waiting for the ball. (When one of the fastest guys on the field is at a total stop, he becomes the slowest guy on the field.) Defenses caught on to that route and still KM persisted in the play---at least he got a Target-Catch on the route. KM wants his receivers to stop and turn toward him for the catch (like a first baseman waiting for the ball from a SS). It is one reason many of our WR going over the middle have so few YAC---they get hammered by the D either while making the catch or right at the point of the ball arriving. It is also why big TE's make the connection with KM---they are slower and are used to going to a spot and turning to make the catch and big enough to hold on after taking the hit.

Hitting a receiver in stride requires the QB to calculate where that receiver is going to be before the QB releases the ball---again, hitting a moving target instead of a stationary target. KM can make these throws when the guy is wide open and a few yards away---it is when there is some distance and/or defenders in-between that KM has difficulty. When a defender blocks KM's vision, he has trouble completing the cognitive map of where the guy will be in his route and when/where to release the ball. This is the real meaning of 'not being able to see his receivers.' We get KM dancing around trying to improve his view of the play and then either running or giving the 'heave-it in the general direction and hope for the best' plays. When a DB is in a trail position and gets behind a WR on a deep route, KM has trouble with the instant calculations to where he needs to put the ball where only the WR can get it. Witness the many misconnections to speed guys like Hollywood and Moore where a TD was there except for the overthrow.

Making connections on deep lateral passes and crossing patterns requires the QB to not only calculate the speed of the receiver, but the speed and make-up distance of the defender(s). On too many of these plays, KM has a brain fart and, to avoid an INT, will throw a toss-up ball with the expectation that the receiver will make the catch. For great receivers, it can work (see DHOP coming down with the ball on those type of plays). It is also how our receivers come down injured after going up for a toss-up or a ball-behind-the-back (see DHOP, AJ Green, going up in double coverage and coming down with a wrecked knee). Our new WR MHJ needs to know when to NOT bend and twist to make a reception on an inaccurate pass---especially since he is going to have coverage rolled over in his direction.

Of course, there are exceptions to these observations. It is the glimmer of hope that KM can change and improve his play. Let's see if he accepts going under center more---it will only stand to improve the run game and the play action passing. We are building a run game and need a QB who will adapt to that aspect of the playbook.

In Feb 18, 2024 Harry posted a 'To-Do' List on what KM needs to do to progress as a QB. His points apply to every single year that KM has played with the Cards (my conclusion). His opening paragraph:

He's shown so good touch and anticipation of routes that are going away from him. We can all think of several nice fades he's thrown to Kirk. But as you say, he's really poor at throwing things like comebacks because he waits until he sees the eyes, by which time it's too late.

Because of this there have been several routes off the table for our receiving corp making us easier to defend. This is as well as things like slants which seem to be an issue due to height.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree, in theory.
The first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this licensing deal was, that's something Larry Fitz would never do. However, these kids nowadays are a different breed.
I just hope he doesn't turn into one of these unlikable diva WR's (i.e. TO or Chad Johnson)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because of this there have been several routes off the table for our receiving corp making us easier to defend. This is as well as things like slants which seem to be an issue due to height.
Agree. And to keep this thread focused on MHJ---KM needs to make the corrections to his game to maximize what MHJ brings to the table. MHJ looks capable of playing anywhere on the field and running all the routes. KM will need to up his game to bring out the best in MHJ (and not just 10 yard over-the-shoulder sideline throws.)
Don't minimize what MHJ can do by subbing in DHOP plays for him. Here's a review after 2022 that is still relevant:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, in theory.
The first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this licensing deal was, that's something Larry Fitz would never do. However, these kids nowadays are a different breed.
I just hope he doesn't turn into one of these unlikable diva WR's (i.e. TO or Chad Johnson)
So not being bent over the barrel by signing an unfavorable jersey deal with a company is now equivalent to turning into an unlikable diva WR?