2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree, in theory.
The first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this licensing deal was, that's something Larry Fitz would never do. However, these kids nowadays are a different breed.
I just hope he doesn't turn into one of these unlikable diva WR's (i.e. TO or Chad Johnson)
I’m sure MHJ’s father is advising him taking into account his professional experience.

I would expect him to take advantage of that knowledge in his business dealings.

Being smart up front is a good thing:)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, in theory.
The first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this licensing deal was, that's something Larry Fitz would never do. However, these kids nowadays are a different breed.
I just hope he doesn't turn into one of these unlikable diva WR's (i.e. TO or Chad Johnson)
NIL wasn't around in Fitz's time. Besides, he wouldn't have signed the deal either IMO. He wasn't exactly hurting for money like most college athletes and he KNEW he would be a high draft pick.

This is analogous of a music star signing a 4 album deal at the beginning of their career and then they are stuck in a terrible contract that they can't get out of.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I agree, in theory.
Are we talking about the same Larry Fitzgerald who allowed the Cardinals to way overpay for his services the last 5 years of his career? C'mon...money is money for all of these guys. Larry never offered a hometown discount and the Cards FO was never going to let the golden boy leave, like Boldin did.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Joe Montana wore a different number everywhere he played - HS, Notre Dame, 49ers, Chefs. If I'm MHjr, I pick a new one, one with no Cards legacy, and make it mine.
LOL.... 18 is a pretty good place to start. Besides BJ, Cliff Stoudt and AJ Green is all I got for you.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same Larry Fitzgerald who allowed the Cardinals to way overpay for his services the last 5 years of his career? C'mon...money is money for all of these guys. Larry never offered a hometown discount and the Cards FO was never going to let the golden boy leave, like Boldin did.
Once they have actually accomplished something in the NFL, I have no problem with them be paid (or overpaid for that matter).
All these first rounders haven't accomplished anything in the NFL. In fact, probably half of them will be busts. Sign your deals and get to work. Just cause you have a HOF dad pulling the strings, doesn't mean you are different then the other picks.
It's the trend that I see. First the combine, then the pro day. Now the licensing deal. He seems to have the attitude that he doesn't have to do what the other guys are doing because of his name/pedigree. Now, if that translates to him being a perennial pro bowler and future HOF'er than so be it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once they have actually accomplished something in the NFL, I have no problem with them be paid (or overpaid for that matter).
All these first rounders haven't accomplished anything in the NFL. In fact, probably half of them will be busts. Sign your deals and get to work. Just cause you have a HOF dad pulling the strings, doesn't mean you are different then the other picks.
It's the trend that I see. First the combine, then the pro day. Now the licensing deal. He seems to have the attitude that he doesn't have to do what the other guys are doing because of his name/pedigree. Now, if that translates to him being a perennial pro bowler and future HOF'er than so be it.
You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Let's go back to Larry. His 1st contract paid him $11.5 his rookie year. Did he earn that before he was drafted? lol

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these first rounders haven't accomplished anything in the NFL. In fact, probably half of them will be busts. Sign your deals and get to work. Just cause you have a HOF dad pulling the strings, doesn't mean you are different than the other picks.
It's the trend that I see. First the combine, then the pro day. Now the licensing deal. He seems to have the attitude that he doesn't have to do what the other guys are doing because of his name/pedigree. Now, if that translates to him being a perennial pro bowler and future HOF'er then so be it.
He would overcome the history of nearly 300 pairs of fathers and sons that have played in the NFL. There are no father and son tandems in the Hall of Fame. Hopefully MHJ is the first to do it or is at least a decent pro WR for a few years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't say anything about the contract. The picks are all slotted anyways. lol
Except that they weren't back in 2004 when he was drafted. Nice try. Phillip Rivers sat out the entire preseason in the year Fitz was drafted.

Slotted contracts like we see them now were a part of the 2011 CBA. Before 2011, nobody wanted to be the first person to sign a deal.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that they weren't back in 2004 when he was drafted. Nice try. Phillip Rivers sat out the entire preseason in the year Fitz was drafted.

Slotted contracts like we see them now were a part of the 2011 CBA. Before 2011, nobody wanted to be the first person to sign a deal.
Fitz got more than Eli who was drafted number one overall. He had the best career earnings of any WR ever.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with players trying to get as much as they can. Their careers aren't as long as the ownerships. They should be able to cash in when they can. No problem with him not a signing a licensing deal if it is a bad deal for him. It will get done eventually.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a review after 2022 that is still relevant:

Oof... that is a devastating video that my optimism had pushed out of my mind!

Hopefully, as Alex Rollins hinted, Murray did use his injury as a "career reset" and to work on overcoming his flaws. He showed signs of progress last year. This year with MHJ will be very telling.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oof... that is a devastating video that my optimism had pushed out of my mind!

Hopefully, as Alex Rollins hinted, Murray did use his injury as a "career reset" and to work on overcoming his flaws. He showed signs of progress last year. This year with MHJ will be very telling.
I think Marquise Brown was a big part of the issue. Dude is awful tracking the ball downfield and his ability to fight for the ball is extremely subpar.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz got more than Eli who was drafted number one overall. He had the best career earnings of any WR ever.

Exactly my point. They weren't slotted when Fitz was around and he maximized his deal. Let's not call him a saint in this regard.

(even though he is my favorite Card of all time)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Exactly my point. They weren't slotted when Fitz was around and he maximized his deal. Let's not call him a saint in this regard.

(even though he is my favorite Card of all time)
eh,...Larrys Godfather was the coach and defacto GM...there was never any doubt we were gonna pick him and Denny was gonna make sure he got paid

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree that we need to see progress in KM's game to make him a complete QB. MHJ is a very accomplished WR coming out of college and certainly appears to be a 'generational' talent at that position. Now, it is up to KM and our coaching staff to maximize what MHJ brings to the team. What is maddening is we are going into Year 5 with the same expectations on KM's improvement.

KM can no longer just stare down his primary target. That's how guys get destroyed by D's. He needs to go through his progression and not leave yards on the table because he is force-feeding a favorite receiver (and that will soon include MHJ). Even if MHJ is wearing a forum-approved Project Runway jersey, MHJ is going to draw double coverage---teams don't want to get destroyed by a rookie WR. KM must get better at going through his progression and getting the ball to the open guy.

Here's an older video recap of KK's final season that describes the good, the bad, and the ugly of KM and KK's offensive (pun) play. (Look at how many times Ertz is wide open and the yards are left on the field as KM goes to his predetermined receiver regardless of coverage). Warning: There is a brief shot of SK at the start. LOL. Move to 2:18 when the commercial comes on.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This post is outta touch with:
Capitalism
Licensing
Any year after 1984

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree that we need to see progress in KM's game to make him a complete QB. MHJ is a very accomplished WR coming out of college and certainly appears to be a 'generational' talent at that position. Now, it is up to KM and our coaching staff to maximize what MHJ brings to the team. What is maddening is we are going into Year 5 with the same expectations on KM's improvement.

KM can no longer just stare down his primary target. That's how guys get destroyed by D's. He needs to go through his progression and not leave yards on the table because he is force-feeding a favorite receiver (and that will soon include MHJ). Even if MHJ is wearing a forum-approved Project Runway jersey, MHJ is going to draw double coverage---teams don't want to get destroyed by a rookie WR. KM must get better at going through his progression and getting the ball to the open guy.

Here's an older video recap of KK's final season that describes the good, the bad, and the ugly of KM and KK's offensive (pun) play. (Look at how many times Ertz is wide open and the yards are left on the field as KM goes to his predetermined receiver regardless of coverage). Warning: There is a brief shot of SK at the start. LOL. Move to 2:18 when the commercial comes on.

Can you stop derailing the thread

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can you stop derailing the thread
What's your pleasure on this meandering thread?

(1) More pages of 'Yay, we drafted MHJ."
(2) More pages of "Why are you posting here if you hate the Cards?"
(3) More pages of "What number will MHJ wear?"
(4) More pages of "Where can I get a red/white jersey?"
(5) More pages of how much Fitz made?
(6) Single-line comments that add nothing (Your comments DVontel---why not offer some content?)

We just drafted a fantastic prospect in MHJ. We are expecting him to succeed with KM. It is indeed relevant to MHJ as to how KM will improve his game to maximize our prized WR prospect. That is not derailing the thread. That should be the thread. Don't you think that's at least as important as what number MHJ has on his jersey?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen