2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know... strong chance we draft for someone else, but lets assume we're drafting for ourselves until we're not.

This draft is supposed to be total trash at the top, maybe the worst draft ever when it comes to projected star power, but it is also supposed to be rather deep in solid prospects.

Who you guys like?

Obviously, we don't have time to develop a 19 year old, so those 5 star kids who sucked as a freshmen but made the jump anyway are out of the question.

With a mid/late round pick, I am a big fan of looking at dudes who played 3+ years and saw major growth each year.

Devin Carter is a point guard in that mold, guy can score, he's a bull dog and projects as a plus defender. Might be off the board though.

Terrence Shannon is a big time athlete and a really good scorer... also he's been accused of sexual assault, which is why he might still be on the board. I'd assume we'd pass too but supposedly we made a run at Miles Bridges so I am not sure where this front office stands on off court issues.

Tristan Da Silver, a stretch 4, low ceiling, high floor kinda guy.

Kevin McCullar Jr, a 3 and D wing who made a big jump this year, does a bit of everything. If he was a couple years younger I think he'd go really high.

Tyler Kolek, he's a headsy point guard, good shooter, good passer. He might be a solid NBA backup guard... he also might be Ty Jerome. If we took him I hope it would involve trading back.

And...

The guy I am talking myself into...

Zach Edey!

I rant a lot about positionless basketball and the uselessness of traditional bigs and guys who cannot defend outside. But man... I just don't see how a guy as dominant as him, with his obvious skills in the post on both ends and a huge work ethic, will be a bust. We desperately need a pick and roll threat and rim protector, he's by far the best that could be on the board when we pick. I think he's got a high floor, worst case he's a situational backup 5 who can go against other similar, not rangey bigs and likely do very well. Not a bad option for pick 22.

He also just seems like he'd be fun to root for. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and has some really nice moves in the post.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I know... strong chance we draft for someone else, but lets assume we're drafting for ourselves until we're not.

This draft is supposed to be total trash at the top, maybe the worst draft ever when it comes to projected star power, but it is also supposed to be rather deep in solid prospects.

Who you guys like?

Obviously, we don't have time to develop a 19 year old, so those 5 star kids who sucked as a freshmen but made the jump anyway are out of the question.

With a mid/late round pick, I am a big fan of looking at dudes who played 3+ years and saw major growth each year.

Devin Carter is a point guard in that mold, guy can score, he's a bull dog and projects as a plus defender. Might be off the board though.

Terrence Shannon is a big time athlete and a really good scorer... also he's been accused of sexual assault, which is why he might still be on the board. I'd assume we'd pass too but supposedly we made a run at Miles Bridges so I am not sure where this front office stands on off court issues.

Kevin McCullar Jr, a 3 and D wing who made a big jump this year, does a bit of everything. If he was a couple years younger I think he'd go really high.

Tyler Kolek, he's a headsy point guard, good shooter, good passer. He might be a solid NBA backup guard... he also might be Ty Jerome. If we took him I hope it would involve trading back.

And...

Zach Edey!

I rant a lot about positionless basketball and the uselessness of traditional bigs and guys who cannot defend outside. But man... I just don't see how a guy as dominant as him, with his obvious skills in the post on both ends and a huge work ethic, will be a bust. We desperately need a pick and roll threat and rim protector, he's by far the best that could be on the board when we pick. I think he's got a high floor, worst case he's a situational backup 5 who can go against other similar, not rangey bigs and likely do very well. Not a bad option for pick 22.

He also just seems like he'd be fun to root for. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and has some really nice moves in the post.
Yeah, Edey is the guy I want if he's there. Good depth behind Nurkic, who I'm skeptical will have a second consecutive injury free year. And Edey is definitely a guy you can plug in against the big body centers who typically give us fits.

Otherwise, I would be okay with any decent PG prospect, or even a legit PF type. Just no more shooting guards or tweener wings who are pushing 24 years old...

... which I already know is exactly who Jones will take, if he doesn't trade away the pick for someone like Wesley Matthews, PJ Tucker, Joe Ingles, Torrey Craig, etc.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't studied the draft and it is usually a waste of time to do so under the current GM.

My initial thought is the Suns will try to do a trade using their draft pick and a player.

Under the new CBA, it might be easier said than done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Mat Ishbia talking about the Suns draft picks.

I wouldn't count on the Suns using them to draft a player to keep.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like throwing your chips on the floor.
Right? Throw your chips on the ground while showing your cards to the table to boot.

Even from a bargaining position it’s kinda assinine to say this out loud as it shows how little we value draft picks, which could be used as leverage against us in trying to get a worthwhile player in return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Goodbye #22 and 2031 unprotected 1st lol.
I kinda expected this if we were dead set on running it back. And I’ve been saying so for a long time. It’s how they will seek to add talent. Truth be told, you can continue to do just this forever if you want. The upside is that you’re usually trading for a known commodity rather than a roll of the dice draft pick. The obvious downside is that when you finally reach the point that all these guys age out you’re only left with cap space to build the team.

But a 2024 and 2031 combo of picks likely nets them a playable bench player. So we should be one player deeper than last season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I kinda expected this if we were dead set on running it back. And I’ve been saying so for a long time. It’s how they will seek to add talent. Truth be told, you can continue to do just this forever if you want. The upside is that you’re usually trading for a known commodity rather than a roll of the dice draft pick. The obvious downside is that when you finally reach the point that all these guys age out you’re only left with cap space to build the team.

But a 2024 and 2031 combo of picks likely nets them a playable bench player. So we should be one player deeper than last season.
Ideally you get two players, with using a pick each. But yes, we will probably "waste" them all on one guy. :)

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Depends on what salary we send out.

If it's Nurk we're creating a big hole in the middle. If it's Little... who are we getting that is an impact player that only makes 6 million a year?

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
if the starting five are coming back as stated that eliminates Nurk.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Depends on what salary we send out.

If it's Nurk we're creating a big hole in the middle. If it's Little... who are we getting that is an impact player that only makes 6 million a year?
All I know is we didn’t think landing beal was possible. And landing Royce wasn’t impossible. Who knows?

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I know is we didn’t think landing beal was possible. And landing Royce wasn’t impossible. Who knows?

Under the 2nd apron rules that we're now living with, neither of those trades would be allowed.

If they're serious about landing a major impact player, my guess is that Nurk gets shopped with the picks.

If it's only Little they're attaching them to then I think we're going to get a toothless veteran.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Under the 2nd apron rules that we're now living with, neither of those trades would be allowed.

If they're serious about landing a major impact player, my guess is that Nurk gets shopped with the picks.

If it's only Little they're attaching them to then I think we're going to get a toothless veteran.
Or not even a toothless veteran. I can easily see using #22 for some future 2nd rounders and dumping Little.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who you guys like?

And...

Zach Edey!

Edey would be my preference too but despite where he's being mocked, I just can't see him lasting until 22

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Here is Mat Ishbia talking about the Suns draft picks.

I wouldn't count on the Suns using them to draft a player to keep.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's so asinine. Championship teams and other contenders have found legit contributors in non-lottery picks. Christian Braun is a perfect example. Is he ever going to be an all star or even a starter? Probably not, but he was a valuable part of that championship.

Is it likely? Maybe not, but certainly not going to happen if you don't try.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Little doesn't have a big salary but it's about the taxpayer MLE. So it could be a veteran who has signed for that in the last year or two. In addition to that it could be a player on a rookie deal that isn't a lottery pick.

Nurkic isn't being dealt.