Any news on Ken Hamlin or Porter?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
IMO these guys are the best two free agents left and either one would be a big upgrade. I know Porter hasn't signed yet, but what about Hamlin does he have a visit scheduled with us?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
There are I think 3 teams that have called Porter for a visit and we are not one of them. Its in a Pitt article somewhere. I think one of the teams is Miami. Wiz also did not speak highly of Porter when asked about him at the combine. All signs point to Porter not being on our radar.

As for Hamlin, Seattle is looking at other FS's so he may not be on their list of priorities. As for other teams he is only reported to have a visit with the Saints today, after that we do not know what he has planned.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Maybe Porter is too much a PITA to sign? Good player.

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
There are I think 3 teams that have called Porter for a visit and we are not one of them. Its in a Pitt article somewhere. I think one of the teams is Miami. Wiz also did not speak highly of Porter when asked about him at the combine. All signs point to Porter not being on our radar.

As for Hamlin, Seattle is looking at other FS's so he may not be on their list of priorities. As for other teams he is only reported to have a visit with the Saints today, after that we do not know what he has planned.

I think I heard Porter connected with the Bengals, that would make sense for him to go there. He gets to play against the Steelers, etc. If I remember correctly, the Saints are bringing in a couple of other safeties for visits which surpprises me since Bullocks is good and Roman Harper was having a great season before he got hurt.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This just in...

Hamlin and Porter have not been contacted but

We do have a #3 CB, mediocre FB, and career back-up S coming in as well as re-signing our #3 RB.

:titanic:

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
This just in...

Hamlin and Porter have not been contacted but

We do have a #3 CB, mediocre FB, and career back-up S coming in as well as re-signing our #3 RB.

Now the "career back up safety" you're speaking of wouldn't be the starting safety from the Bengals that had 7 picks and 4 sacks last season would it?

Because if it is, I just wanted to make sure I'm dealing with one of the doom and gloom pissed off because the Cards didn't sign every big name on the first day, kind of poster we get every year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Now the "career back up safety" you're speaking of wouldn't be the starting safety from the Bengals that had 7 picks and 4 sacks last season would it?

Because if it is, I just wanted to make sure I'm dealing with one of the doom and gloom pissed off because the Cards didn't sign every big name on the first day, kind of poster we get every year.

Yep...the one that is going to be 31 and only started last year due to the injury of Dexter Jackson.

Oh...and for the record. I was the biggest kool aid drinker last offseason when we didn't fix the oline and justified "the plan". I won't do it again this year. I am not made at all that they didn't sign Adalius or Clements but I am sure pissed off that they have overestimated our oline again this year. You should be as well.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Yep...the one that is going to be 31 and only started last year due to the injury of Dexter Jackson.

Oh...and for the record. I was the biggest kool aid drinker last offseason when we didn't fix the oline and justified "the plan". I won't do it again this year. I am not made at all that they didn't sign Adalius or Clements but I am sure pissed off that they have overestimated our oline again this year. You should be as well.

He started because of injury and then had 7 picks and 4 sacks as a FS. Sounds like he's good enough to start to me.

I can't be pissed about the oline yet because it's only the second day of FA and the draft is still 8 weeks away.

The line played very well down the stretch last season. I don't understand why a lot of people want to blow it up and start over. The Cards need better backups and a LT. The rest of the oline is fine.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My doom and gloom is due to the fact we have had one winning season in 20 years. Have won one playoff game since I went to my first game in 1967.

You are obviously happy with all of this and remain optimistic. Good for you....

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He started because of injury and then had 7 picks and 4 sacks as a FS. Sounds like he's good enough to start to me.

I can't be pissed about the oline yet because it's only the second day of FA and the draft is still 8 weeks away.

The line played very well down the stretch last season. I don't understand why a lot of people want to blow it up and start over. The Cards need better backups and a LT. The rest of the oline is fine.

Believe it was 6 picks but whatever. Didn't Cinncy give up more passing yards per game than any team in the league?

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
KK is not that good in coverage, several of his picks were off of tips. The Cincy defense also commonly blitzes the other Safety (aside from Madieu Williams), in the games Dexter Jackson played he blitzed quite a bit, so his sack count may be a bit inflated. Don't get me wrong, KK would be an upgrade but he isn't that good.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Believe it was 6 picks but whatever. Didn't Cinncy give up more passing yards per game than any team in the league?

Its like when Chavous got his 9 picks for Minny. 9 picks yes but he gave up even more TD's to help lead minny to one of the worst pass D's in the league. then didnt a darn thing before or after that.

But I do have to say I do like KK as some good competition, big nickel package, depth, spot starter, stop gap.

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Its like when Chavous got his 9 picks for Minny. 9 picks yes but he gave up even more TD's to help lead minny to one of the worst pass D's in the league. then didnt a darn thing before or after that.

But I do have to say I do like KK as some good competition, big nickel package, depth, spot starter, stop gap.

It's funny you should mention Chavous because I was going to compare KK to Brian Russell, who was the other Safety with Chavous that year and he had 9 interceptions, almost all of which were off of tips.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
My doom and gloom is due to the fact we have had one winning season in 20 years. Have won one playoff game since I went to my first game in 1967.

You are obviously happy with all of this and remain optimistic. Good for you....

Oh yes I'm quite happy. In fact if the Cards started winning I would get very upset and stop rooting for the team. :sarcasm:

Or it could be that it's only the second day of FA and people freaking out and whining is a bit premature.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yes I'm quite happy. In fact if the Cards started winning I would get very upset and stop rooting for the team. :sarcasm:

Or it could be that it's only the second day of FA and people freaking out and whining is a bit premature.

And being confident they are doing and will do the right thing is being pretty foolish in my opinion. They have already lost more to free agency(LD) and unless they sign him(won't happen) will head into the draft being forced to pick for need.