Anyone here read enough for a forum on books?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I try to read as much as possible. Recently I found an amazing fifty cent used book store in my town that is organized exceptionally well, and has tons of books. Plus the guy is donating books to our troops in the gulf. Anyway, I read tons, but I always have questions regarding books or authors I haven't read yet. Recently I am on a Clive Cussler kick, and have read Sahara, Valhalla Rising, Flood Tide, Pacific Vortex, and am reading Raise The Titanic. So far Sahara is my favorite. I read a lot of Dean Koontz, Steven King, Eric Von Lustbader, and various other authors, as well as a lot of the Hardy Boys to my son. I know you guys watch a lot of movies, just wondering if you read books as well.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Koontz, reading By the Light of the Moon, or something like that, right now.

Mike

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals fans? Reading? :eek:

j/k...I used to read a lot...now I spend too much time on the net (duh).

I like most popular fiction - grisham, clancy, older stephen king...etc...

One book that most have never heard of is "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. That's probably my fav, I opened it and read it straight thru.

I haven't read much Koontz, but I did read "Watchers". Einstein the Golden Retriever was one of the most memorable characters in a book I have ever read.

I am currently almost finished w/"Atlas Shrugged" which has been on my to-read list for about a decade. Agree w/her views or not, it is amazing how applicable some of her thoughts are today (Microsoft antitrust case comes to mind)

I'm interested in good book recommendations as well!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
One book that most have never heard of is "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. That's probably my fav, I opened it and read it straight thru.

Read it, loved it.

I just finished reading The Testament by Grisham, and am now reading The Remnant, Book 10 of the Left Behind Series (Christian Fiction).

I've read just about everything by Stephen King, Stephen Hunter, John Sandford, John Grisham.

Just picked up the Screwtape Letters by CSLewis, so that'll be next up.

Then there's always the Tolkien books, which I own but have never tackled yet. I will not see the movies until I read the books.

I prefer to read a story before I see it on the screen. They usually change the story or the characters TOO MUCH. I am thankful that I read The Firm, Needful Things, Left Behind, A Simple Plan, etc BEFORE seeing them.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Read it, loved it.

Wow, you're probably the only person I've heard of that read that book. It was awesome.

I was a huge S.King fan about 10 yrs ago. His older stuff is great, but lately trying to read his books has been like fingernails down a chalkboard.

Not familiar w/Hunter, Sandford, what kind of books do they write?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
Wow, you're probably the only person I've heard of that read that book. It was awesome.

I was a huge S.King fan about 10 yrs ago. His older stuff is great, but lately trying to read his books has been like fingernails down a chalkboard.

Not familiar w/Hunter, Sandford, what kind of books do they write?

My uncle told me to read Replay, so there's at least 3 of us who've read it...

I agree that Stephen King's best work was his earlier "body" of work...

Stephen Hunter writes action thrillers...really good books. If you want to try and get into his books, definitely start with Point of Impact about a Vietnam sniper named Bob Lee Swagger, I'd reccomend it to anyone. There are a handful of books that continue on that storyline (Dirty White Boys, Black Light, Time to Hunt, etc) and so far I've liked them all. Point of Impact is definitely worth reading. I read it around the same time as Scott Smith's A Simple Plan (great book).

John Sandford writes a series of books all containing the word Prey in them...beginning with Rules of Prey. There's Winter Prey, Sudden Prey, Eyes of Prey, Mind Prey, etc. They all focus on Detective Lucas Davenport and take place in Minnesota. I've read them all and liked them.

I've also been stockpiling books by Michael Connelly, since everyone and their brother is telling me to read them. He wrote Blood Work that was just a movie with Clint Eastwood, but is most known for his books involving Detective Harry Bosch (Black Ice, Black Echo, Concrete Blonde, etc).

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Replay was great. Definitely one of the more interesting takes on the whole "changing the future" genre out there.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
Replay was great. Definitely one of the more interesting takes on the whole "changing the future" genre out there.

I'm curious, how did you hear about it?

I think it was written in the early 80s. I only heard about it on the 'net as a good book to read. Found it in the UT library and blew off the dust.

I think it would make a great movie, surprised noone has bought the rights. :)

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A friend I used to work with it loaned it to me. We used to swap books back and forth all of the time.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
I'm curious, how did you hear about it?

I think it was written in the early 80s. I only heard about it on the 'net as a good book to read. Found it in the UT library and blew off the dust.

I think it would make a great movie, surprised noone has bought the rights. :)

jw - use the link in my signature to join HSX. Then you'd have seen this movie recap by now...

http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityDetail?symbol=RPLAY

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am currently reading:

"Linux Unleashed"
"The Principles, Protocols and Architechture of TCP/IP"
and "Introducting Windows.Net"

sorry I am too boring for fiction

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now I am reading "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. It is a very interesting nonfiction book about time he spends with his family living in Alaska (he is from Tennessee).

Clancy is quite good although I found his last 3 books have slipped some in it's writing. Also will read anything by John Feinstein who writes about sports (although since I hate the NBA I won't read his latest "The Punch"). Agree with all that Stephen Kings old stuff is very good, new stuff is just an ugly read.

Next up for me is likely "The Summons" by Grisham or "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Right now I am reading "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. It is a very interesting nonfiction book about time he spends with his family living in Alaska (he is from Tennessee).

I remember reading his "Walk across America" and "Walk across America 2" years ago - very good books that reflected the US in the 70's quite well.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
I remember reading his "Walk across America" and "Walk across America 2" years ago - very good books that reflected the US in the 70's quite well.

I am thinking about reading those sometime. He has a nice style of writing and this Alaska book is quite interesting. The premise for the book is something I bet alot of people would love to do. Pick up and move somewhere for a year(ish).

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jw - use the link in my signature to join HSX. Then you'd have seen this movie recap by now...

http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityDetail?symbol=RPLAY

Interesting. I'll have to read more about it.

I've noticed the HSX links - I'm not really a movie buff tho. I checked out the site and looks pretty confusing. Do you guys get something if people sign up under your link? I'll help out if thats the case. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm reading "Glitz" by Elmore Leonard right now. May have to track down "Out of Sight" and "Get Shorty". He has a very easy writing style--but I'm having trouble getting into the story.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
Interesting. I'll have to read more about it.

I've noticed the HSX links - I'm not really a movie buff tho. I checked out the site and looks pretty confusing. Do you guys get something if people sign up under your link? I'll help out if thats the case. :D

Yes, we get credit for up to twenty referrals. H$100,000 bonus.

It looks completely confusing, and is, to begin with, but can become addictive in a short matter of time.

I love it as a resource for possible films, as well as a competetive game.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge Koontz fan. I hope to someday follow in his footsteps.

If you like Koontz and haven't already read, read the Christopher Snow books. They are awesome! The first one is Fear Nothing and the second one is Seize the Night. False Memory is another great one.

I would love to talk some Chris Snow.

Phantoms is the only book that actually 'hooked' me on the very first page.

Anyone read the Dune books? I haven't, but I'm intrigued by the SciFi Channel's mini-series on them.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, we get credit for up to twenty referrals. H$100,000 bonus.

It looks completely confusing, and is, to begin with, but can become addictive in a short matter of time.

I love it as a resource for possible films, as well as a competetive game.

LOL, OK I signed up under your referral! Don't know how much time I'll have for it, but I'll have to check it out.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hardly even go to HSX any more. I don't have the time to give it the day-to-day anymore.

I suppose I should go and see where I am.

It is fun though, and quite addicting.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by WaywardFan
I am a huge Koontz fan. I hope to someday follow in his footsteps.

If you like Koontz and haven't already read, read the Christopher Snow books. They are awesome! The first one is Fear Nothing and the second one is Seize the Night. False Memory is another great one.

I would love to talk some Chris Snow.

Phantoms is the only book that actually 'hooked' me on the very first page.

Anyone read the Dune books? I haven't, but I'm intrigued by the SciFi Channel's mini-series on them.

I am also intrigued by the Dune thing on SciFi. I read the books and for some reason they were a very hard read. I will watch it and read them again.

Never got into Koontz but my sister is a big fan of his.

Chris Snow?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no interest in reading the original Dune. I think after watching not only the SciFi Channel's version but David Lynch's 180 hour version (which is, coincidentally the short version) I am well enough versed in the story.

However, I wonder about the other two from which this newest mini-series is based on. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a hard read, but I might have to give it a go.

Chris Snow is a character in two of his books. I think it is the only time Koontz has written a sequel to a book. They are told in first person and are so imaginative in my opinion. The character has a rare genetic disorder called xeroderma pigmentosum where the enzymes that repair damaged skin and parts of the body aren't there. For example, he can never go out in the daytime. A 10 minute direct exposure to the sun would cause almost immediate and incurable skin cancer.

This sets up a great part of his character. He grew up in the nighttime. It gives great perspective, and it gives him unique knowledge about the sleepy little town he lives in. The town, importantly, which is located close to a military base. The military base carried on far reaching science experiments.

He has an awesome dog, a specialty of Koontz in my opinion, and a great group of friends and supporters. The surf lingo and respect for the ocean is a major theme of the book.

I doubt I have piqued your interest by this description. However, if you like books like King or Koontz and haven't checked them out, I encourage in the strongest terms to read them. The first is Fear Nothing, the second is Seize the Night. The second one is awesome. He is supposedly going to come out with a third, and I can't wait.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1