Arizona State gets probation, scholarship losses for NCAA violations under Herm

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NCAA announced penalties for Arizona State and four former employees related to recruiting violations that occurred under former head football coach Herm Edwards.

ASU gets four years of probation, an undisclosed fine, vacated games in which ineligible players competed, reduced scholarships and recruiting restrictions. The NCAA did not provide further details about any of those punishments. The school also disassociated from a booster for five years.

The NCAA acknowledged the school also imposed a one-year bowl ban on itself last season. ASU will be eligible for a bowl this season.

"Arizona State's cooperation throughout the investigation and processing of this case was exemplary, and the cooperation began with the leadership shown by the university president," said Jason Leonard, executive director of athletics compliance at Oklahoma and chief hearing officer for the NCAA committee on infractions panel. "The school's acceptance of responsibility and decision to self-impose meaningful core penalties is a model for all schools to follow and is consistent with the expectations of the NCAA's infractions program."

• Love
Reactions: TJ
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The punishment issued Friday by the NCAA does not mark the end of the line for the violations.

"Two individuals are contesting portions of their respective cases via written record hearing," the NCAA said. "After the written record hearing, the committee will release its full decision."

The NCAA and ASU said they will not comment further.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an ASU Fan, but it makes me mad that Herm walked away with a buyout, the former AD is still raking in the bucks, and Crow is still in charge of Athletics.

ASU should sue Edwards to get the money back, and to pay the fine.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any and all of these kinds of investigations only harm coaches and student athletes who were not even involved in the infractions under scrutiny. It is just stupid. It hurts the team NOW for actions of those who have abandoned ship already. Another repercussion that was not there in the past is the transfer portal. If a team was really hampered by the consequences of a previous regime it could lead to players transferring out in record numbers further hurting the current program. Just makes zero sense.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo hoo, more reason for me to not give the stupid school any money. Not that they call me for money anymore. :)
Right? You have to love the Alumni Association. They are very persistent.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than being on probation, am I reading this right that, due to the self imposed bowl ban last year, the punishment is basically done, no impact on current team?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than being on probation, am I reading this right that, due to the self imposed bowl ban last year, the punishment is basically done, no impact on current team?
reduced scholarships and recruiting restrictions

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya, interesting the way that worked out. They imposed the ban at the beginning of the year before all the injuries gutted the lines and they headed down hill. So turns out to be a smart move, since they wouldn't have gone to a bowl anyway.
That was always the intent when they self imposed. They were clearly trying to take a punishment off the board when the punishment would be handed down.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
reduced scholarships and recruiting restrictions
Meh, I guess the scholarships hurt but I’m not sure it really affects recruiting line it would have 20 years ago. ASU likely isn’t in the running for aBig12 title so I’m not sure how truly badly the lost scholarships really hurt. Maybe if there is an epidemic of injuries like last year…

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
OK, I am lazy and am not reading, lol, Any numbers or years on this?
I saw four years as being the time frame. Not sure if that applies to all the stated restrictions.

The two assistants appealing/objecting are both long departed, of course - one being Antonio Pierce who is now HC of the Raiders, as I'm sure everyone knows. So the outcome of that won't substantially impact the status of the current program's punishment.

I feel like I have ashes on my tongue every time I say Herm Edwards' and/or Ray Anderson's names. A curse on both of them, slimeballs through and through. It is endlessly disgusting that both of them suffered not a whit for all the damage they did, especially Edwards who skated off with a big buyout AND back into his former high paying gig.

Which by the way, he also never deserved. He's a complete idiot and never offers anything worthwhile as a "football analyst." The only hope for eventual justice there is that ESPN's faltering viewership eventually costs Herm the Germ his job there, too.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I am lazy and am not reading, lol, Any numbers or years on this?
The probation is four years. We don’t know how many years they are cutting scholarships…not how many.

Some quick research shows Penn State was hit with 10 scholarship restrictions for a four year period but they got them reinstated after two years. Gonna go out on a limb and say it won’t be that harsh but who knows

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys take a listen to this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Some of this I knew but a bunch of it was not only eye opening but infuriating. It really sheds a clearer light on the demise of ASU football. I rarely do this but I am going to re-listen to it again and really pay closer attention.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU is tied with SMU for most penalized athletics department in NCAA history now.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn