Austin Mock's Mock

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday The Athletic had a bit of a different mock draft in which Austin Mock ignored all media speculation and used his "consensus big board to make selections based on premier positions and positional needs based on my NFL Projection Model as if I were the general manager of every team. Yes, I can trade, and I tried to make them as realistic as possible." Here's how it shook out:
1. Chicago Bears (from CAR): Caleb Williams, QB, USC

2. Washington Commanders: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

3. New England Patriots: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
The Patriots signed Jacoby Brissett this offseason, and he’s fine to get them through this year without needing to reach for a QB. I’m skeptical of Daniels’ astronomical rise over the second half of last season, and I’m not willing to pick him here. There are too many needs on this offense for a non-elite QB prospect to succeed, so I’m comfortable with Brissett’s play and adding the top wide receiver to an offense that is severely lacking skill position talent.

4. New York Giants (from ARI): Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
Daniels is No. 8 on the consensus big board, and though trading up for him isn’t my favorite move, I am not a Daniel Jones believer. However, having Jones on the roster allows me some time to let Daniels adjust to the NFL game. I have questions about Daniels as a passer, but his elite rushing ability raises his floor. He is a high-ceiling prospect, and that is enough for me to take him here despite his being slightly older (23) than the type of QB I’d typically prefer to draft this high.

5. New York Jets (from LAC): Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

6. Arizona Cardinals (from NYG): Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
The Cardinals are no stranger to trading back (see last year’s draft), and that’s the decision I went with. I’m still getting a top-end wide receiver prospect, and I’ve added extra draft capital to continue injecting talent into my roster. Odunze isn’t ranked as high as Harrison or Nabers, but he’s right on their heels as the fifth-best player in this draft class, according to our consensus board.

27. Arizona Cardinals: Darius Robinson, edge/DT, Missouri
As I mentioned with their first pick, the Cardinals just need to keep adding talent to their roster. Robinson comes in at No. 32 on our big board and plays at a premier position, so I’m OK with reaching a little bit. I’m a big believer in targeting premier positions at the end of the first round, and that’s what the Cardinals are doing here.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score
If Harrison isn't there at #4, then Odunze is a fine consolation prize. I'd rather the Cardinals not trade up for Harrison -- which would be necessary in this scenario -- but, if he falls to them, they should sprint to the podium.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Harrison isn't there at #4, then Odunze is a fine consolation prize. I'd rather the Cardinals not trade up for Harrison -- which would be necessary in this scenario -- but, if he falls to them, they should sprint to the podium.
I really think as shown in this mock NE takes MHJ setting in motion a trade with NYG or others. With two QBs available a few teams will be anxious to snatch one of the two.

Last edited: