Biggest Draft Disappointments

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like Jones as well but mostly prefer a WR who can play outside unless the Cardinals are good with Dortch outside. I would just like to see MHJ able to be moved around and not stuck outside because him and Wilson are the only outside WRs on the roster.
Okay but then you're narrowing your options to ODB, DJ Chark, maybe Mecole Hardman if you just want a speed option out there when you go 3WR.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Okay but then you're narrowing your options to ODB, DJ Chark, maybe Mecole Hardman if you just want a speed option out there when you go 3WR.
I was thinking MVS. Tall and some vertical game.

If we weren't committed to Dortch, I think Renfrow could work but they are too similar of players IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ran 3 WR sets 65.5% of the time last season. 4 WR sets 1.9%. So basically usage, and depending on your other two WRs, ability to play outside or the slot.

Why some people were disappointed with the Cardinals not taking a WR higher is that AZ is one injury away from having Zach Pascal playing 60% of snaps. That is in addition to counting on Wilson to be able to play at least 81% of snaps again, and Dortch going from 38% to 60%. And of course MHJ being able to start from day 1 and play a high % of snaps.
I think that 65.5% of the time will go down to the 50s this year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wanna know what's so inconceivable about Dortch improving enough to earn the job as the number three? This league has been trying to get rid of him since the day he walked in the door and he's done nothing but prove he can contribute efficiently to a WR room when asked to do so. All the dreck even we've tried to throw at him in supposed #3's and he's still here and part of the conversation in 2024. Andy Isabella....gone, Rondale Moore...gone, Antoine Wesley....gone. He won the eagles game for us. That's damn near a reason for me to go purchase a white 83. I'm a fan personally and think he's gonna step up even more this year with a beast like MHJ on the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wanna know what's so inconceivable about Dortch improving enough to earn the job as the number three?
I think people are asking him to earn the job? He was a mid sub on a pretty bad passing offense last year.

I want someone better than Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think people are asking him to earn the job? He was a mid sub on a pretty bad passing offense last year.

I want someone better than Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch.
Fair enough K. I just believe in the guy enough to think he'll make this a non-issue come game 1. That's just me.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wanna know what's so inconceivable about Dortch improving enough to earn the job as the number three? This league has been trying to get rid of him since the day he walked in the door and he's done nothing but prove he can contribute efficiently to a WR room when asked to do so. All the dreck even we've tried to throw at him in supposed #3's and he's still here and part of the conversation in 2024. Andy Isabella....gone, Rondale Moore...gone, Antoine Wesley....gone. He won the eagles game for us. That's damn near a reason for me to go purchase a white 83. I'm a fan personally and think he's gonna step up even more this year with a beast like MHJ on the team.
I have no issue with Dortch as the #3. It's the #2 spot that I'm worried about and want a proven vet FA. We're good at #1 and #3 spot as far as I'm concerned.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because you can't fix every problem in one off-season.

Dortch is better at his position than Starling Thomas is at his. Dortch is better at his position than <unsigned blocking TE>. Dortch is a decent NFL player. Not good, but not an embarrassment either.
My counter to this argument is we took two defensive backs last draft and signed a priority free agent defensive back this offseason. We drafted one receiver last draft and signed a low-end free agent receiver whilst cutting loose two receivers this offseason.

We may have been better suited drafting two receivers in top 3 rounds than drafting three defensive backs in first 104 picks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A couple of critiques here...

1 - This thread is titled draft disappointments. The title implies it is a thread where people can voice where they were disappointed with the draft (even if most liked it as a whole). To come into this thread and mock the concerns and areas of disappointment voiced by posters is borderline trolling IMO.

2 - Equating the impact to the Cardinals losing any player to the impact of the Chiefs losing Mahomes is next level, disingenuous snark.

Be better.
I hate when people on the board do the latter. It just ends any semblance of a reasonable discussion.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that 65.5% of the time will go down to the 50s this year.
Why do you think this? If the Cardinals used more 12 and 13, a 6% increase is higher usage than any competent offense used in 2023. The misconception is that we will use more multi TE sets, but the reality is that we already use a lot of them so the amount we can relatively increase is not as much as people think. The Cardinals have a worse WR room this year in terms of depth so I don't believe you see AZ using more 10 personnel. We didn't run any 21 personnel so I don't believe that changes. Maybe 1% or 2%.

I think it is easy to say AZ will just run other personnel packages more but when looking at the personnel and what AZ did last year, I don't see realistic options for a significant change. 65% to 60% is a big change.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort