Cardinals Sign Linebacker Markus Bailey

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’d much rather sign off-ball linebackers in free agency than draft them top 15. The age of Brian Urlacher, Luke Kuechly, and Patrick Willis is over. Teams just don’t run the ball like they used to and the big Mike LB of the past isn’t as needed anymore.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d much rather sign off-ball linebackers in free agency than draft them top 15. The age of Brian Urlacher, Luke Kuechly, and Patrick Willis is over. Teams just don’t run the ball like they used to and the big Mike LB of the past isn’t as needed anymore.

He's an OLB. The headline is a bit misleading.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's an OLB. The headline is a bit misleading.

Wait, scrap that. Lots of the media around this has him as OLB but he is indeed an ILB.

I remember him now from the 2020 draft. He was the guy everyone liked as a High IQ, team captain, loves football guy but had 2 season ending knee injuries that were a major concern.

He was considered a 4th/5th round pick but fell to the 7th. We took Evan Weaver over this guy.

Still think camp bod. Linebacker room looks pretty set.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't write these signings off as just 'Camp Bods.' I see the Cards evaluating what is now needed on Special Teams to deal with the new kick-off rules. NFL ST coaches don't yet have a handle on what is required since the NFL rules are different from those used by the 'minor' league football.

We lost our ST ace Zeke Turner who signed with the Whiners.

"Turner played six seasons (2018-23) on the Cardinals across 80 games (three starts) and grabbed 83 tackles. He forced a fumble in the 2022 season.

During his rookie year, Turner finished third in the NFL in total special teams tackles (16). Because of his efforts on special teams, the Maryland native made the Pro Football Writers of America‘s All-Rookie Team."

Turner got some starts last year with the regular D---and jumped ship to get a chance to play more with the Whiners.

Marcus Bailey looks like a Zeke Turner replacement.

Broadcasters need to give more attention to the guys on ST. They seldom get any recognition---mostly because the guys doing the network broadcasts don't even know the guys on the D and O let alone those lining up on ST. There are plenty of Card fans who don't know our ST stars---like Zeke Turner. Before/After a kick-off---give the lineup on both sides of the ball and point out good plays. I'd rather hear that than Troy Aikman tell one more story about how he tied his shoelaces with the Cowboys a few decades ago.

Look for some early TDs with the kickoffs until ST coaches catch up with what is needed. Do you line up CBs and S to get after the returner? Do you need some 'lighter' LBer to blow up those CB and S blockers. Going to be cool to watch how the kick-offs evolve. Is 'the Wedge' still outlawed?

Darren Urban article on the new kickoff rules:

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
After the draft, it's very common for teams to fill their depth chart at positions that weren't filled during the draft.

Linebacker was a position I thought they might fill in the mid rounds, but the value wasn't really there this year.

Current depth chart'
Kyzir White
Mack Wilson
Khrys Barnes
Owen Pappoe
Markus Bailey

The Cardinals kept five ILB to start the season, so there is a solid chance Bailey sticks.

Depth looks bleh. I was hoping they could add a young guy who could challenge to start in a year or two.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After the draft, it's very common for teams to fill their depth chart at positions that weren't filled during the draft.

Linebacker was a position I thought they might fill in the mid rounds, but the value wasn't really there this year.

Current depth chart'
Kyzir White
Mack Wilson
Khrys Barnes
Owen Pappoe
Markus Bailey

The Cardinals kept five ILB to start the season, so there is a solid chance Bailey sticks.

Depth looks bleh. I was hoping they could add a young guy who could challenge to start in a year or two.

Maybe that's Pappoe?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Markus Bailey...damn, now Monti is cooking with natural gas ....

Holy poo, y'all wanted a big splash signing and here ya go....
Dude gonna get 8 sacks, 3 picks, and at least 120 tackles for us this season
Wow!! Just WOW!!