Devin Booker is the greatest player EVER in Suns history

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That happened on Boston.

I give Schilling slightly more credit than Randy for that World Series. Up until the Yankees, Randy had been merely okay, but Schilling was absolute nails every time out. And trust me, seeing Schilling become an absolute garbage human (and probably always was), it pains me to say he was better than Randy when it mattered most, but he was.
Ah, right. Never mind. I guess that was after his stint with the DBacks, is that right?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a seven games series, two star pitchers can win a World Series.

That's what the Diamondbacks did with Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.

I will always remember the key players that helped them accomplish that.

They were all part of the World Series win but Randy was the reason it made sense to add Schilling for a run. He helped legitimize the Diamondbacks as a legit MLB ball club. He helped get rid of that "expansion team" label. Gonzo was a part of that also but I think RJ was almost the baseball version of Barkley in that he brought people to the park and made Diamondback fans. That is important when we're talking about most important or impactful Arizona athletes.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were all part of the World Series win but Randy was the reason it made sense to add Schilling for a run. He helped legitimize the Diamondbacks as a legit MLB ball club. He helped get rid of that "expansion team" label. Gonzo was a part of that also but I think RJ was almost the baseball version of Barkley in that he brought people to the park and made Diamondback fans. That is important when we're talking about most important or impactful Arizona athletes.
Free 32 ounce Thirstbusters when a pitcher would strikeout 10. Easy win almost every time RJ or CS pitched.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not looking at the greatest player aspect. Just saying, two dominant pitchers can win a World series for a team.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not only did he own this town he transformed it. Suns went from being niche to it appearing on businesses, license plates, murals everywhere in the Valley. There was an explosion of Suns EVERYWHERE after being down for several years. That Suns team was the biggest away draw across the league. He put us on the map so to speak.

It's probably the biggest fan swell I have seen in the valley's history only comparable to when the team landed the Cardinals or we landed an expansion for the D-backs.

Barkley 100% should be on the list.
I’m including Chuck put the Suns on the international map.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Best one I ever saw in person for sure! I loved watching Nolan Ryan on TV.
The only MLB pitchers of the last 30 years that compare to Johnson when it comes to longevitry and ability are Clemens and Maddux. Ryan isn't even close. Ryan was great at striking out batters and not allowing hits but his WHIP wasn't impressive and he was literaly the worst post-1900 pitcher when it came to issuing walks, throwing wild pitches, allowing stolen bases and fielding - which is the reason he had the most losses post-1900. He did none of the little things that would have given him more than a .526 winning percentage.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Until Booker comes up big in the deciding game of a couple of playoff series, I'm not yet sold.

He's pretty much shriveled up in the big games in the playoffs in the past. He's got dismal numbers in "win or go home" games in the playoffs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time putting him ahead of Barkley too, unless he is named 1st Team All-NBA at least once or twice.
Barkley was a great player. Phenomenal stats in playoff games for us. Barkley was a celebrity aside from being a great basketball player. No doubt that helped with being named All First Team. IF Devin ever brings a Larry O Trophy to PHX, I don't care what he accomplishes after that, he WILL be the Greatest Sun ever. Already, the level of loyalty he has shown Phoenix in staying here and contributing to this city could arguably make him the greatest Sun in totality. Nash and Barkley have become part timers to PHX.

Last edited:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I guess I'm more of a quality over quantity guy. Until he wins an MVP or is 1st Team All-NBA a couple of times he hasn't surpassed Barkley. Barkley had some big performances in critical games and Booker just hasn't. Chris Paul was the engine of that team that made it to the Finals and I think we're seeing how important he was this year. Barkley was the clear choice for 2nd best player in the year in 1992-93, and was rewarded for the Suns's impovement by getting the MVP. Booker just isn't an alpha dog and he's clearly behind Jokic, Embiid, Doncic, Gilgeous-Alexander, Gianis and Tatum this year.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Most times 1st or 2nd Team All-NBA as a Sun -
Steve Nash 5x (2x MVP)
Kevin Johnson 4x
Paul Westphal 4x
Amare Stoudemire 4x
Charles Barkley 3x (1x MVP)
Jason Kidd 3x
Tom Chambers 2x
Walter Davis 2x
Devin Booker 1x
Connie Hawkins 1x
Dennis Johnson 1x
Chris Paul 1x

Most NBA All-Star Games as a Sun -
Walter Davis 6x
Steve Nash 6x
Amar'e Stoudemire 5x
Charles Barkley 4x
Devin Booker 4x
Connie Hawkins 4x
Shawn Marion 4x
Paul Westphal 4x
Tom Chambers 3x
Kevin Johnson 3x
Jason Kidd 3x
Dan Majerle 3x
Charlie Scott 3x
Dick Van Arsdale 3x
Kevin Durant 2x
Dennis Johnson 2x
Chris Paul 2x
Alvan Adams 1x
Gail Goodrich 1x
Jeff Hornacek 1x
Maurice Lucas 1x
Stephon Marbury 1x
Larry Nance 1x
Shaquille O'Neal 1x
Truck Robinson 1x
Paul Silas 1x

Most times in the top 10 in the NBA MVP vote as a Sun -
Charles Barkley 1993 (1st), 1994 (10th), 1995 (6th)
Devin Booker 2022 (4th)
Tom Chambers 1989 (9th), 1990 (8th)
Walter Davis 1978 (5th), 1979 (10th)
Connie Hawkins 1970 (5th)
Dennis Johnson 1981 (8th)
Kevin Johnson 1989 (8th), 1991 (7th)
Jason Kidd 1999 (5th), 2001 (8th)
Shawn Marion 2006 (10th)
Steve Nash 2005 (1st), 2006 (1st), 2007 (2nd), 2008 (10th), 2010 (8th), 2012 (9th)
Chris Paul 2021 (5th), 2022 (9th)
Amar'e Stoudemire 2005 (9th), 2008 (6th), 2010 (10th)
Paul Westphal 1978 (6th)

I think either way that you look at it Nash is probably the greatest Sun ever. He won ther MVP Award twice and was 2nd in the voting a third time, Barkley has his MVP Award, making them the only two to win the award. Barkley may have been slightly better in his MVP season, but Nash maintained his MVP level play longer.

To me it goes - 1. Nash, 2. Barkley, 3. Stoudemire, 4. Westphal, 5. Johnson, 6. Kidd, 7. Booker, 8. Davis, 9. Chambers, 10. Marion

I was a little suprised at how well Stoudemire fared, and KJ's injury issues limited the number of All-Star games he played and his MVP votes so I had to rank him a little lower than I would have thought going in. Kidd is the overlooked great Sun because of the circumstances when he left - he was All-NBA 1st team all 3 seasons here.

People are going to cite Booker being the Suns #2 all-time scorer, but I don;t think that's as important. #3 is Alvan Adams and I don't think anybody here is going to put him in the top 5 Suns ever. #1 in scoring is Davis, and in his best years (1977-80) he was Robin to Paul Westphal's Batman.

Booker's going to need to have some clutch playoff performances to build on his legacy before I move him up much higher. To me his scoring accomplishments are offset by his terrible performances in elimination games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most times 1st or 2nd Team All-NBA as a Sun -
Steve Nash 5x (2x MVP)
Kevin Johnson 4x
Paul Westphal 4x
Amare Stoudemire 4x
Charles Barkley 3x (1x MVP)
Jason Kidd 3x
Tom Chambers 2x
Walter Davis 2x
Devin Booker 1x
Connie Hawkins 1x
Dennis Johnson 1x
Chris Paul 1x

Most NBA All-Star Games as a Sun -
Walter Davis 6x
Steve Nash 6x
Amar'e Stoudemire 5x
Charles Barkley 4x
Devin Booker 4x
Connie Hawkins 4x
Shawn Marion 4x
Paul Westphal 4x
Tom Chambers 3x
Kevin Johnson 3x
Jason Kidd 3x
Dan Majerle 3x
Charlie Scott 3x
Dick Van Arsdale 3x
Kevin Durant 2x
Dennis Johnson 2x
Chris Paul 2x
Alvan Adams 1x
Gail Goodrich 1x
Jeff Hornacek 1x
Maurice Lucas 1x
Stephon Marbury 1x
Larry Nance 1x
Shaquille O'Neal 1x
Truck Robinson 1x
Paul Silas 1x

Most times in the top 10 in the NBA MVP vote as a Sun -
Charles Barkley 1993 (1st), 1994 (10th), 1995 (6th)
Devin Booker 2022 (4th)
Tom Chambers 1989 (9th), 1990 (8th)
Walter Davis 1978 (5th), 1979 (10th)
Connie Hawkins 1970 (5th)
Dennis Johnson 1981 (8th)
Kevin Johnson 1989 (8th), 1991 (7th)
Jason Kidd 1999 (5th), 2001 (8th)
Shawn Marion 2006 (10th)
Steve Nash 2005 (1st), 2006 (1st), 2007 (2nd), 2008 (10th), 2010 (8th), 2012 (9th)
Chris Paul 2021 (5th), 2022 (9th)
Amar'e Stoudemire 2005 (9th), 2008 (6th), 2010 (10th)
Paul Westphal 1978 (6th)

I think either way that you look at it Nash is probably the greatest Sun ever. He won ther MVP Award twice and was 2nd in the voting a third time, Barkley has his MVP Award, making them the only two to win the award. Barkley may have been slightly better in his MVP season, but Nash maintained his MVP level play longer.

To me it goes - 1. Nash, 2. Barkley, 3. Stoudemire, 4. Westphal, 5. Johnson, 6. Kidd, 7. Booker, 8. Davis, 9. Chambers, 10. Marion

I was a little suprised at how well Stoudemire fared, and KJ's injury issues limited the number of All-Star games he played and his MVP votes so I had to rank him a little lower than I would have thought going in. Kidd is the overlooked great Sun because of the circumstances when he left - he was All-NBA 1st team all 3 seasons here.

People are going to cite Booker being the Suns #2 all-time scorer, but I don;t think that's as important. #3 is Alvan Adams and I don't think anybody here is going to put him in the top 5 Suns ever. #1 in scoring is Davis, and in his best years (1977-80) he was Robin to Paul Westphal's Batman.

Booker's going to need to have some clutch playoff performances to build on his legacy before I move him up much higher. To me his scoring accomplishments are offset by his terrible performances in elimination games.
The backlash from 20 year old Devin Booker's 70 point game in Boston is that he quickly became one of the most disliked players. He was frequently mocked, ridiculed and ignored and that continued even after he developed a more rounded game and was playing like he was top 20, maybe top 10. So it's no surprise that he's garnered so few of the awards and acknowledgments that you're talking about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen