Draft Thoughts

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We still have time to round out the WR group. We lost Moore, Brown, and Ertz from the 2022 roster. Together the trio had 206 Targets, 118 Receptions, and 1118 yards. Not much production for the number of targets and the number of receptions. MHJ should put up more yards on far fewer targets.

Even with his injury history, Wilson outperformed both Moore and Brown with 58 targets, 38 receptions, and 565 yards. Bump up his targets to 100 and he may approach a 1,000 yd. season. McBride should be able to duplicate his 2022 numbers of 106 Targets, 81 Receptions, and 825 yards.

We should be close to 3,000 plus yards from MHJ, Wilson, and McBride.

Waiting in the wings is TE Higgins. Cards converted him from WR to TE. He had 19 Targets, 14 Receptions, and 163 yds. KM likes the big-body TE types so he may get more stats by working as a middle-of-the-field 'TE.' One more big body on the field for the run game.

Our new GM and HC appear to prefer big boys on both the OL and the receivers. No more smurf receivers.

I anticipate Dortch and Weaver to be back for kick-offs with both filling in as WRs. Their slight build/height will not be a hindrance when the goal is to zip past the D toward the endzone.

As a team, we had 540 Targets, 355 Receptions, and 3430 Yds.

Here's the total stats for Rushing/Receiving 2022:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that the Cardinals had a good draft.
Daniel Jeremiah's staff does a composite score based on where they slotted a guy and where they were selected. Cardinals easily topped his list of team that got the most value.

They obviously should have based on the number of premium picks, but you can screw that up.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If we were having a track meet these numbers would be more persuasive. I’m looking at catch radius, route running and contested catches. I guess we’ll see who has the better career.
I'd argue one receiver played with a QB that was considered generational while the other guy played with someone who won't get a look in the Canadian football league.

Rice disappeared big time this year for long stretches of the season.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that the Cardinals had a good draft.

That seems to be the consensus even nationally.
A lot of positive mentions surrounding the Cards draft. Yet, it doesn't seem to have moved the needle much on the Cards place in pre-draft power rankings (at least for some)

Eric Edholm at NFL.com has us at #26

Gary Davenport at BleacherReport has us at #28

Sanjesh Singh of NBC has the Cards at #25:

Steve Serby of the NY Post has us at #18:

Dallas Robinson of Pro Football Nework has us at #27:

Plenty more with similar projections. While I did not expect the Cards to be in the top 10 after the draft, I did expect us to at least be in the middle of the pack with all the draft pick additions. I have my fingers crossed that the Cards are following in the footsteps of the Lions and the way they progressed in the first three years with Campbell as HC: 3 wins, 9 wins, 12 wins. It is our turn to have a 9-8 season should we follow the Lion's blueprint.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of positive mentions surrounding the Cards draft. Yet, it doesn't seem to have moved the needle much on the Cards place in pre-draft power rankings (at least for some)

Plenty more with similar projections. While I did not expect the Cards to be in the top 10 after the draft, I did expect us to at least be in the middle of the pack with all the draft pick additions. I have my fingers crossed that the Cards are following in the footsteps of the Lions and the way they progressed in the first three years with Campbell as HC: 3 wins, 9 wins, 12 wins. It is our turn to have a 9-8 season should we follow the Lion's blueprint.
I wouldn't expect it to move the needle much on power rankings because all these picks are still unproven.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Feel pretty confident that our first three picks will live up to our expectations, almost ensuring a successful draft. But it will be the next five (four third's and a fourth) that might take this draft to a higher level. Of the five, Benson should be okay, but the twp Illinois players, while fulfilling needs are question marks for me. But, I have to admit I'm very happy to read a lot of good things about our OG and TE. Expected an OG but didn't expect a TE in Round Three, and had not heard of either. Of course, that's on me. And, there is no doubt in my mind that we needed another CB and depth at Safety. And, I love the nick name, Rabbit.

In summary these five will determine, not only this draft but serve as an indication of how close we are to the Playoffs.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect it to move the needle much on power rankings because all these picks are still unproven.
If that is the case, why even do post-draft power rankings? Isn't the expectation that after a team has a good draft, it is going to change for the positive and move the needle on the power ranking as compared to other teams? Of course, the new players are unproven---that doesn't mean they have not added/subtracted value to the team's roster relative to the rest of the league.

Case in point is the move upward by the Bears after their draft of QB and top-rated WR. The Bears have been bumped from the very bottom of the power ranking to mid-range. That's based on performance expectations of the unproven players brought in.

Did the Cards draft move the needle on their talent? I think it did. We are anticipating 4-5 starters and a couple of quality backups to the 53-man roster. The infusion of new talent should indeed move the needle upwards---in the case of the Cards, some writers have the Cards and their 'A' draft going in the opposite direction.

What will be the line to cross for the new roster to no longer be 'unproven' and subject to a new power ranking? One game? Five games? Ten games? How about right after the draft? They proved themselves in college and earned their high draft position and can be viewed now as part of the talent equation for the team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, why even do post-draft power rankings? Isn't the expectation that after a team has a good draft, it is going to change for the positive and move the needle on the power ranking as compared to other teams? Of course, the new players are unproven---that doesn't mean they have not added/subtracted value to the team's roster relative to the rest of the league.

Case in point is the move upward by the Bears after their draft of QB and top-rated WR. The Bears have been bumped from the very bottom of the power ranking to mid-range. That's based on performance expectations of the unproven players brought in.

Did the Cards draft move the needle on their talent? I think it did. We are anticipating 4-5 starters and a couple of quality backups to the 53-man roster. The infusion of new talent should indeed move the needle upwards---in the case of the Cards, some writers have the Cards and their 'A' draft going in the opposite direction.

What will be the line to cross for the new roster to no longer be 'unproven' and subject to a new power ranking? One game? Five games? Ten games? How about right after the draft? They proved themselves in college and earned their high draft position and can be viewed now as part of the talent equation for the team.
Because it generates clicks. That’s all power rankings are.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because it generates clicks. That’s all power rankings are.
Same could be said for every single topic posted to the Internet. Of course the power rankings are click bait. Every single topic on this forum is click bait. Fans interested in the NFL and their team are going to 'click' on the article. We're curious about the grades we got in the draft, curious about where our team ranks compared to the rest of the league, etc. etc.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Really not sure why you would feel that way. This team won 4 games last year, rookies don't usually contribute a ton.

While I think this could be a middle of the pack team if things go our way they have to prove it, nobody is going to give them credit till they earn it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why do it? Because people like you are looking for it after the draft apparently.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do it? Because people like you are looking for it after the draft apparently.
Yep. I know I like looking at them to get a sense of how the team did but I also know they could mean very little in the grand scheme of how the team will do.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Discourse tries to make it seem otherwise, but the NFL Draft is not a zero sum game. Every team got better in the draft; every team is excited about the prospects they selected; every team is shocked their guy was still on the board when their number came up.

Thats why the power rankings won’t move. Also, power rankings are dumb.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remaining Holes
The one that stands out is Edge. With a much improved CB corp, this will not be as big a disaster as last season. I expect the Cards to pick up a veteran rusher, but they will still be thin. Ojulari will benefit tremendously from having a healthy camp. Robinson (likely moves inside on passing downs) & a more experienced Stills will improve the inside rush game. This won’t be a great pass rush, but it won’t be terrible either.

I don't think they sign anyone to start. The feeling I get from the coaching staff is they believe in their guys.

They will believe that Ojulari and Collins can step up in year 2, but also the best available Edge is Carl Lawson...

There are a surprising number of decent players still available in FA though compared to normal.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thats why the power rankings won’t move. Also, power rankings are dumb.
The Las Vegas bookies and gamblers are waiting for you to show up. Power rankings move all the time and are not considered dumb in the world of sports betting. Here's some click-bait on how power rankings are used to bet on the NFL (most for a fee, of course);

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We still have time to round out the WR group. We lost Moore, Brown, and Ertz from the 2022 roster. Together the trio had 206 Targets, 118 Receptions, and 1118 yards. Not much production for the number of targets and the number of receptions. MHJ should put up more yards on far fewer targets.

Even with his injury history, Wilson outperformed both Moore and Brown with 58 targets, 38 receptions, and 565 yards. Bump up his targets to 100 and he may approach a 1,000 yd. season. McBride should be able to duplicate his 2022 numbers of 106 Targets, 81 Receptions, and 825 yards.

We should be close to 3,000 plus yards from MHJ, Wilson, and McBride.

Waiting in the wings is TE Higgins. Cards converted him from WR to TE. He had 19 Targets, 14 Receptions, and 163 yds. KM likes the big-body TE types so he may get more stats by working as a middle-of-the-field 'TE.' One more big body on the field for the run game.

Our new GM and HC appear to prefer big boys on both the OL and the receivers. No more smurf receivers.

I anticipate Dortch and Weaver to be back for kick-offs with both filling in as WRs. Their slight build/height will not be a hindrance when the goal is to zip past the D toward the endzone.

As a team, we had 540 Targets, 355 Receptions, and 3430 Yds.

Here's the total stats for Rushing/Receiving 2022:

Deejay Dallas was signed to handle kick returns, which was done in anticipation of rule changes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Las Vegas bookies and gamblers are waiting for you to show up. Power rankings move all the time and are not considered dumb in the world of sports betting. Here's some click-bait on how power rankings are used to bet on the NFL (most for a fee, of course);

Looks like you are answering your own question.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Coverage of round 1 of the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit was seen by an average audience of 12.1 million viewers (TV+Digital) across ESPN, NFL Network, ABC, ESPN Deportes, and digital channels. The ratings were up +6% versus Round 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft (11.4 million) and the highest Round 1 viewership since 2021."

Wonder how many of the 12.1 million viewers checked out post-draft commentary on grades for their team and how the draft changed their power ranking? Wouldn't you guess there were at least a few?

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe om just a weirdo (highly likely) but I view power rankings before the season even started basically useless. Never no what kind of variables happen to make a team better or worse than what they should be.

Same goes for college football. I HATE that they do rankings before the season even starts.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm certain all those guys doing power ratings have more than just a passing knowledge of the Cardinals. Details like not having our starting QB most of the year...or that we were a top ten offense the last four weeks of the season when kyler adapted to the new system...and how we did that with only one wr over 6 foot.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Feel pretty confident that our first three picks will live up to our expectations, almost ensuring a successful draft. But it will be the next five (four third's and a fourth) that might take this draft to a higher level. Of the five, Benson should be okay, but the twp Illinois players, while fulfilling needs are question marks for me. But, I have to admit I'm very happy to read a lot of good things about our OG and TE. Expected an OG but didn't expect a TE in Round Three, and had not heard of either. Of course, that's on me. And, there is no doubt in my mind that we needed another CB and depth at Safety. And, I love the nick name, Rabbit.

In summary these five will determine, not only this draft but serve as an indication of how close we are to the Playoffs.
I predict Benson is going to be a star. He's so fast. He is going to bust a lot of long highlight reel runs, especially if he's RB2 to start the year and Conner is wearing down the defense.

I'll go on record right now. I say 750 rushing yards and 6 TDs rookie year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort