Durant to Suns

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Keep in mind, my comment about Bridges was how I felt prior to the trade. I'd love to have Mikal on this team and with him, I'd really like our chances. But I never expected us to be able to add another star to the roster (Beal) once we shipped off much of our assets.
Good point.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People still want to cling to their original takes that the KD deal was the biggest abomination of all time. That’s all that’s really going on.

“Potentially” one of the worst trades of all time.

What has happened that should make me think that has changed?

The future projection is very bleak and the present isn’t near as rosy as hoped.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Beal trade is completely dependent on KD being here. We had become an also ran that was sliding down with CP3 being cooked and Ayton being a giant douche.

KD kept us in the championship ship convo and that’s why Beal forced his way here and Gordon signed for the minimum. None of that happens if we just stayed the course with the mediocrity on the team last season.

How you guys don’t get this yet is beyond me.
Yup.

We weren't winning a title with the Twins and a years past prime CP3

We MIGHT win a title with KD and Beal

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's better/worse, mediocrity of last year, or mediocrity of this year?
This year, since when the big 3 are playing, we are a very good team.

Heck, give back the two SA games, and just two of the Lakers games when were down a star, that puts us 1 game from the top spot in the West.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, my comment about Bridges was how I felt prior to the trade. I'd love to have Mikal on this team and with him, I'd really like our chances. But I never expected us to be able to add another star to the roster (Beal) once we shipped off much of our assets.

I don't think anyone else did either. That's why I called the Beal trade "fortuitous."

1. The timing of the Wizards decision to rebuild;
2. Beal having the veto power over any trade;
3. And him choosing to come to Phoenix.

All three things had to line up this past summer for the Suns to add another star player.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
This year, since when the big 3 are playing, we are a very good team.

Heck, give back the two SA games, and just two of the Lakers games when were down a star, that puts us 1 game from the top spot in the West.
They eye test has not been good. I think Bol Bol is a sleeper of the bench. If the big 3 can stay helathy and Nurkic quit making stupid passes like he is playing in an exhibition with the globe trotters they might have a chance

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They eye test has not been good. I think Bol Bol is a sleeper of the bench. If the big 3 can stay helathy and Nurkic quit making stupid passes like he is playing in an exhibition with the globe trotters they might have a chance
I don't think Nurkic's passes haver been that bad. His turn over numbers bear that out. It's the KD passes into double teams, etc, that are killing us! KD thinks he can thread everything through a tight window. When it works it's spectacular. Which is why I think he keeps trying it. However, he gets picked off, and tons of passes off the opposing players legs. I have never seen so many passes hit other guys legs from one player. You take the turn overs because of the high forties average on threes, and his ability to play bigger guys on D, and his super efficient numbers most night scoring. I guess every player has a weakness.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know KD would be such a coach especially with our bigs - he really gets into their asses too - live during the games infront of the cameras - fans and other teams too - something nobody (including Mikal Monty Book CP3) could do with Ayton because he'd just shut down but Nurk and Eubanks benefit from it

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I didn't know KD would be such a coach especially with our bigs - he really gets into their asses too - live during the games infront of the cameras - fans and other teams too - something nobody (including Mikal Monty Book CP3) could do with Ayton because he'd just shut down but Nurk and Eubanks benefit from it
He has been taking Bol Bol on and helping him. Must be working. Bol Bol is playing some of his best basketball right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ring of Honor? No shot of that happening even if he finished his career here unless there is a title no?

P.S. I like the "studied history" part of the interview. Evidently he really does study the history of the game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ring of Honor? No shot of that happening even if he finished his career here unless there is a title no?

P.S. I like the "studied history" part of the interview. Evidently he really does study the history of the game.
Barkley was here for 4 years and didn't win a title, but he's in the Ring. Could conceivably happen with Durant as well.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Barkley was here for 4 years and didn't win a title, but he's in the Ring. Could conceivably happen with Durant as well.
Think CP3 has a shot? Only 3 years but also a Finals appearance...
Barkley was also MVP and was clearly the best player on the team though.

I personally don't think CP3 should get in, but that kinda makes KD's case more difficult, even if he had multiple good years. A title would change the calculus obviously.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I personally don't think CP3 should get in, but that kinda makes KD's case more difficult, even if he had multiple good years. A title would change the calculus obviously.
He's guaranteed if he wins a title here. Hell, if we win a title, there's an outside shot Beal would be Ring eligible as well.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly if he was playing like he is this year for most of that time I guess I could see it too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's guaranteed if he wins a title here. Hell, if we win a title, there's an outside shot Beal would be Ring eligible as well.

I know it seems weird but I think Beal may have a better chance than KD given their ages. Beal has like 4 years left under contract with a no trade clause so he the chances of him being dealt are slim. He'll need to be healthier going forward but there's a good chance he finishes his career as a Sun after another contract. If he can play until he's KD's age then that gives him 6 more seasons and there's no way KD plays here for that long.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

No. As great as CP3 and KD are their tenure as a Sun doesn’t touch what Barkley was here even though it ended badly on the tail end.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. As great as CP3 and KD are their tenure as a Sun doesn’t touch what Barkley was here even though it ended badly on the tail end.

I also think the goalpost has moved somewhat. Barkley came here and did what no one else had done up to that point, now we want more. Nash was pretty spectacular as so close, and should have made it if there weren't certain injuries or suspensions. After the 92-93 season, Barkley's teams failed somewhat in the same manner as the Nash teams.

CP3 made it, but failed pretty good as they managed to lose 4 in a row. On top of that some pretty bad loses in the playoffs that should never have happened. I don't think CP3 ever makes it due to his short tenure with us and wasn't the second best player in the league as Chuck was second to MJ.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant talks about his future with Malika Andrews of ESPN.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen