Favorite Books While You Were A Child?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What were your favorite books when you were a child?

I read anything by Shel Silverstein, of course Dr. Seuss, "Little Blue & Little Yellow" (by Leo Lionni), "Curious George"......

Then as I got slightly older.. "1984", "Animal Farm'', "Moby Dick", "Treasure Island".... Just to name a few.....

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bearenstein Bears (sp?)
Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel
Ping (i think that was the name... that yellow duck)
Shell Silverstein
Goodnight Moon
Nancy Drew

and more

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swiss Family Robinson...Treasure Island, War of the Worlds, Lord of the Rings...

I don't think I really started reading until I was in my teens...

Mike

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The Bearnstein Bears were great, my Dad always used to read them to me and my brothers and do different voices for the characters.

My favorite book as a really young kid was this little one called "I am a Puppy". It was like 6 pages long, was a green cover with a beagle on the front...I had that book until my German Shepherd ate it...kind of ironic I guess.

Charlotte's Web was a good one too! :thumbup:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was really young, I liked "Around the World With Ant and Bee." Still have a really beat up copy of it.

I loved the Bernstein Bears and all Snoopy books. Also Ramona Quimby.

In high school my favorite required reading books were A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird and I think that was it. We had suck reading at my high school.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a Seussical kinda girl! I loved One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish SOOOOO much that I memorized it at a very early age! Yes, I celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday every year (March 2). My daughters' school always does a Green Eggs and Ham day on the school day closest to March 2nd. The first words my 5 year old read were from Hop on Pop.

You must be registered for see images

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
When I was really young, I liked "Around the World With Ant and Bee." Still have a really beat up copy of it.

I loved the Bernstein Bears and all Snoopy books. Also Ramona Quimby.

In high school my favorite required reading books were A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird and I think that was it. We had suck reading at my high school.

I liked the Bernstein Bears books and also the Ramona books... Is that odd that i read the Romana books? I guess thats what happens when you live in a house with mostly women.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My mom used to read "The Pig Who Saved The Day" to me just about every night when I was very very young. My parent's still have that book, and I'll read it to my kids too. Great story for youngins. ;)

Bobcat

Reaction score
vince56 said:
My mom used to read "The Pig Who Saved The Day" to me just about every night when I was very very young. My parent's still have that book, and I'll read it to my kids too. Great story for youngins. ;)

Hell I used to read it to you also. Or have you forgot "Dadip Done!!!" HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Bobcat :wave: :thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Watership Down is a great book.

I remember Where the Wild Things Are.

My dad used to read us The Hardy Boys every night.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I read the Hobbit about 1,347 times.
I also liked On the Beach by Neville Shute. I didn't understand it all, but that didn't keep me from reading it two or three times.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
I've read Watership Down a bunch o times

one of my favs when I was a younger one

That was indeed a great book. Read it my soph year of high school. For some reason the personification of rabbits was cool?

Ever read Enders Game? That was a great book also. We did get to read an occasional cool book in all those damned gifted english classes I was in.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The Westing Game

Animalia and The Eleventh Hour

:thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Westing Game, The Enders Game, Watership Down, all bringing back fond memories.

Wasn't the animated movie "The secret of Nihm" based on a book?

In elementry school my buddies and I were big into the Conan books, too. This was about a year prior to the movie coming out and we all flipped out when we heard about it. Oddly enough, my buddy's dad took us to it. I don't think he knew what to expect. We were all a little uncomfortable watching it with him.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, and Great Brain series.

I also think I've read every Peanuts comic strip ever written.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The Westing Game, The Enders Game, Watership Down, all bringing back fond memories.

In elementry school my buddies and I were big into the Conan books, too. This was about a year prior to the movie coming out and we all flipped out when we heard about it. Oddly enough, my buddy's dad took us to it. I don't think he knew what to expect. We were all a little uncomfortable watching it with him.
Conan books were great. I wonder if they would still be good if I read them now. It might be cool to get a collection of them.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh or something? :shrug: