Flagstaff Lava Tubes

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently not many know about this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...eviews-Lava_River_Cave-Flagstaff_Arizona.html

After doing this a few times, I did the thurston lava tube in hawaii and was severely dissapointed. They have lights in the thurston tube so you cant really see the tube, the lights are too blinding. This tube in flagstaff is pitch dark and an amazing hike. Wear sleeves as it is very cold inside but you will be hiking so all you need is sleeves IMO. Also, wear good shoes as the ground is very jagged. LAstly, watch your head!

PS: Flashlights are mandatory. its dark.

Entrance:
You must be registered for see images attach

Inside (with a light on):
You must be registered for see images attach

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking one of the kids there during fall break which is why I was asking in the other thread.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was always fun to go to when I lived in Flagstaff

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking one of the kids there during spring break which is why I was asking in the other thread.
Highly recommend! Lots of lava hikes in flagstaff I havent done too where the trails are lava rock and etc.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of this. Then I saw the entrance and thought 'nope'....then scrolled down and saw the inside. That looks amazing. Is it worth the 3 hour just for that or should it be combined with other stuff?

You are in there for an hour or two typically, I would usually combine with other stuff but even visiting downtown flagstaff and eating some food and etc is always fun. Or, combine it with the red mountain hike that Jon posted or montezuma, etc.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gonna have to go again. I went up there last year to take pictures and couldn't even park. There was an actual line to go in. :( Was a busy day tho. Cool pics!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR & I hiked some lava tubes in Oregon a few years back; they were pretty cool. There were quite a few of them with varying degrees of difficulty & length. If these are anything like those, I recommend. (Now that I'm thinking about it, they may have been just over the border in California. Can't remember for sure).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are in there for an hour or two typically, I would usually combine with other stuff but even visiting downtown flagstaff and eating some food and etc is always fun. Or, combine it with the red mountain hike that Jon posted or montezuma, etc.
Red Mountain isn't that far beyond the tubes - 15-20 miles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen