HD antenna reccomendations

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Sending Dish packing and want to try the no cable/satellite route. Any reccomendations for a good indoor antenna for the Phoenix/West Valley area?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indoor antennas are really finicky. You may find a cheap one that works great or you may find the most expensive one will never work for all the channels you need. I'm assuming that since you had Dish that you will still have coax cables running to the roof. It would make sense to purchase an inexpensive outdoor antenna and just use those existing cables to connect to your TV.

This website can help you determine what type of antenna will work best from your location:

antennaweb.org

No matter which way you go, just make sure you buy from someone with a good return policy. Good luck and let us know how it went.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my bedroom I have the dinkiest antenna you have ever seen and only channel 12 doesnt come in. In one living room, I have a $40 rabbit ear antenna with amplified and in other living room I have the cheapest rabbit ears they had at best buy. The living room antennas are both solid, the bedroom one doesnt get channel 12.

Dont spend $100, you dont have to. Start with a cheap one, if its not good enough return it and buy the next one up until you get all of the local channels.

After that i recommend Rokus in rooms that you dont have gaming consoles so you can stream netflix and hulu.

I cut cable like 3 yearts ago, the only thing I miss is basketball. I have everyhting else that was on cable for the most part.

Between hulu and netflix, I am always backlogged on shows.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the real issue with cutting off cable or satellite, are the sports. Why haven't they made an app for Roku, ps3 that will allow you to watch sports, or even a Hulu type program but for all sports.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the real issue with cutting off cable or satellite, are the sports. Why haven't they made an app for Roku, ps3 that will allow you to watch sports, or even a Hulu type program but for all sports.

Fox and etc would have to do it on their own. The contract is with fox or whomever broadcasts the game.

I still get cardinal games and then some so it doesnt bother me. I wouldnt mind seeing suns games but thats their problem for killing their UPN contract. less viewers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winegard makes a pretty good antenna. I spent $45 on one a few years ago and it works pretty well although I don't use it much anymore with all of the streaming I do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sports are the last major thing keeping users to cable. ESPN has online apps on their own, but you must have some sort of subscription. We will get closer, but probably for not another 15-20 years.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sports are the last major thing keeping users to cable. ESPN has online apps on their own, but you must have some sort of subscription. We will get closer, but probably for not another 15-20 years.

espn 3 is on xbox, thats the best we get so far.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Amazon had a really good deal on Mohu about a week ago ($39.99), so I ordered one.

I installed it last night and have only tried it in two locations in the room, but it works very well so far. Many of the new channels are creepy religious ones, but some of the new ones are worth having and the reception is better on the ones I had with the old antenna setup.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APPDX86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh, I'm looking at my options for an OTA reception plus DVR solution.

Current offerings from HD Homerun and Tablo have caught my eye. Anyone here tried one of these out or have another option to consider? I'm sure the second I finally get something running, Scripss will hammer out a contract with DirecTV and then I'll throw myself off the roof. But in the meantime, I do want to catch the Yotes if I can make it happen under $150.

Thanks

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Sigh, I'm looking at my options for an OTA reception plus DVR solution.

Current offerings from HD Homerun and Tablo have caught my eye. Anyone here tried one of these out or have another option to consider? I'm sure the second I finally get something running, Scripss will hammer out a contract with DirecTV and then I'll throw myself off the roof. But in the meantime, I do want to catch the Yotes if I can make it happen under $150.

Thanks
I've had an HDHomerun for about 8 years now and would highly recommend them. I'm setup with my antenna plugged to it and then it to my router. Then on AppleTVs I use Channels.app for tuning in (I think it's available for android too).

Channels has a DVR solution that has a monthly fee to it but I don't use it so I'm not sure on the details. I also run an Emby server and Emby's live TV and DVR options work work with it too. So I normally use it. Plex has a similar feature if you have it as a media server.

As for antenna, get one of these. Don't waste money with indoor ones or some of the other models. Most of the cheap ones suck. I ran through 5 of them before I finally went back to one of these RCAs.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0B16QL1TT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you.

Your antenna link isn't showing up for me. What's the model number?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you.

Your antenna link isn't showing up for me. What's the model number?
It might on refresh. I tried fixing the site's automatic embed. If not it's the "RCA Compact Outdoor or Attic Yagi TV Antenna". When you look at the listing there's a few different ones with different ranges. You want the 70 or 75 mile one. I'm not familiar with the other ones. Both the 70 and 75 miles ones are the same SKU from different sellers. Go with which ever is cheaper.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's what it's looking like:

HD Homerun= $200

DVR service fee for guide= ~$35/year

Antenna (if my indoor antenna can't tune 15.2)= $59

USB hard drive (luckily I have a spare 500Gb that should work)

So much for my $150 budget, lol.

That's nearly $300 and the time to install everything for Yotes games of unknown picture quality and the reality is we don't even know if they're staying here long term. The money isn't that big of a deal, but man, they really can't make it easy to be a fan of this team. :bang:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
So here's what it's looking like:

HD Homerun= $200

DVR service fee for guide= ~$35/year

Antenna (if my indoor antenna can't tune 15.2)= $59

USB hard drive (luckily I have a spare 500Gb that should work)

So much for my $150 budget, lol.

That's nearly $300 and the time to install everything for Yotes games of unknown picture quality and the reality is we don't even know if they're staying here long term. The money isn't that big of a deal, but man, they really can't make it easy to be a fan of this team. :bang:
Do it in stages if you're not sold on it yet. Just set up the antenna to start and then add the DVR afterwards. Instead of the $35/year too look at the lifetime sub of Emby. Lifetime is $119. Or try out Jellyfin. It's a free open source fork of Emby and I don't believe it has a fee. You have to have the server running through on a computer or NAS. I run them on my NAS.

To help with the mental end of it, think of it as more than the Yotes. All Card games are OTA and the Suns will be too this season. Generally I find the PQ on OTA better than cable/sat. It's not compressed in the manner that they are. Added bonus: OTA has the least amount of broadcast delay so you can usually get your TD or INT post made in the gameday threads before anyone else. ;)

Reaction score
Do it in stages if you're not sold on it yet. Just set up the antenna to start and then add the DVR afterwards. Instead of the $35/year too look at the lifetime sub of Emby. Lifetime is $119. Or try out Jellyfin. It's a free open source fork of Emby and I don't believe it has a fee. You have to have the server running through on a computer or NAS. I run them on my NAS.

To help with the mental end of it, think of it as more than the Yotes. All Card games are OTA and the Suns will be too this season. Generally I find the PQ on OTA better than cable/sat. It's not compressed in the manner that they are. Added bonus: OTA has the least amount of broadcast delay so you can usually get your TD or INT post made in the gameday threads before anyone else. ;)

It's up to about 3-5 minutes of delay as well. I watch Cards games on the larger TV in my living room while the wife will watch it on a smaller set in our room. She switches to OTA on that set while I'm watching on Hulu. I always know when something good or bad is about to happen based on her screams lol. I need to buy additional OTA antennas I guess. :)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's up to about 3-5 minutes of delay as well. I watch Cards games on the larger TV in my living room while the wife will watch it on a smaller set in our room. She switches to OTA on that set while I'm watching on Hulu. I always know when something good or bad is about to happen based on her screams lol. I need to buy additional OTA antennas I guess. :)
FYI, you shouldn't nee additional antennas but to just get it wired up to your current TV. That's if you're using the OTA directly. If you're using something like the HDHome run then you might need to depending on your model. I believe mine supports 2 streams at once.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think before I make an investment in a permanent OTA solution, I'll see how the direct to consumer streaming plans work out with the Yotes. I bought a cheap tuner (ZJBOX?!?! LOL) for the interim and I'll see how that goes tonight. Luckily NHL Network is replaying Friday's game later in the evening if my tuner sucks and I send it back.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think before I make an investment in a permanent OTA solution, I'll see how the direct to consumer streaming plans work out with the Yotes. I bought a cheap tuner (ZJBOX?!?! LOL) for the interim and I'll see how that goes tonight. Luckily NHL Network is replaying Friday's game later in the evening if my tuner sucks and I send it back.
Have you looked into LocalBTV? I used that when I cut the cord and was still living in the Valley. Watch directly from computer with no antenna needed.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Have you looked into LocalBTV? I used that when I cut the cord and was still living in the Valley. Watch directly from computer with no antenna needed.
Looks like a cool service. I hadn't seen it before. Unfortunately it looks like it won't work for the use case. They don't carry yet the major stations so channel 3 and 15 are not available through it yet. :(

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought of it. I have a cheap antenna sitting in my spare room that I was going to throw out. You're welcome to it if you'd like to give it a try.

That's mighty kind of you! Thank you for the generous offer! :cheers:

Fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on who you ask) I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to A/V gear and I still have a couple of indoor antennae for my cheap tuner test. I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison