Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good interview. Thanks for posting.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/nfl/660136003859/0/honey-badger-does-care

Didn't see this posted anywhere and thought it was a good watch. We keep watching HB continue to mature as a person and football player and it's very rewarding.

Thanks for posting this. So inspirational.

He also just recently announced he is going vegan because he is "tired of eating poison." Taking his diet that seriously and working out as much as he says he does in the video...he's going to be back to his old self in no time.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Cardinals player who caught my eye as an eight year old kid watching his first pro football game at Yankee Stadium, was #8 FS Larry Wilson. There was something unique about him---and I truly believe I was witnessing the player who transformed the free safety position into what it is today. Wilson's versatility---his acrobatic interceptions in deep coverage, his storming on a dime down the alley to meet the RB full force before he could break into the open and his uncanny ability to blitz the QB from all angles were stunning to watch. The day I laid eyes on Larry Wilson---I instantly because a fan of him, the Cardinals and the NFL.

I really didn't think there would ever be another Cardinals player who could fill Larry Wilson's shoes, at least in my eyes---but---amazingly there was---a third round draft pick from North Carolina St. named Adrian Wilson. Ironic isn't it?---another Wilson. While A-Dub was more of an in-the-box SS, like Larry Wilson, he was the tone setter of the defense, he was the statement maker, he was the guy every offense had to account for as to where he was on the field---he was the guy teams had to do everything they could to avoid. And A-Dub took what Larry Wilson did as a blitzer and took it to another level. I still to this day do not understand why his coaches didn't blitz him every chance they could. Had they---i believe A-Dub would have posted HOF worthy sack totals for a safety. He simply, no matter what, was not going to be denied when he was going after the QB. Most of all, my proudest moment as a Cardinals' fan came when A-Dub hoisted the Halas Trophy crying tears of utter joy. To me the number #24 is sacred and will always be.

Now---I have the same feeling about: the Honey Badger, Tyrann Mathieu, #32. To me he is the quintessential defensive back, because he, my dear pals, can do it all. To hear him say on this interview that every day he wants the coaches to load his plate with as much as they can is so true to his spirit as a player and a person. To hear him say he even wants to know and study what defensive ends do---is right at the very crux of his genius as a football player. Have you ever seen a defensive back blitz under such amazing control? Have you ever seen a defensive back be able to anticipate what the QB is going to do, so that even if he doesn't get to the QB he can stop on a dime and time his jump perfectly? Have you ever seen a defensive back play with such savvy and aplomb all over the field from every which angle? Have you ever heard a man be more honest about himself?

We have been graced with watching three of the greatest safeties ever to lace up the pads---and what's so wonderful too is how committed all three of them are to the Cardinals' organization. They all are fiercely loyal---they bleed Cardinals' red and white they way we long-time fans do---and they have every intention of paying it forward.

I don't know if you felt this way, but the once sense of solace and saving grace I felt after that dud of an NFC Championship Game at Carolina was the thought that it just wouldn't feel the same to win championships without The Badger.

When I dream of the day...I dream of the Honey Badger doing what A-Dub did, and hopefully taking it one game further.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Cardinals player who caught my eye as an eight year old kid watching his fours pro football game live, was #8 FS Larry Wilson. There was something so wonderfully incredible about him---and I truly believe I was witnessing the players who transformed the free safety position into what it is today. Wilson's versatility---his acrobatic interceptions in deep coverage, his storming on a dime down the alley to meet the RB full force before he could break into the open and his uncanny ability to blitz the QB from all angles were stunning to watch. The day I laid eyes on Larry Wilson---I fell completely in love with him, the Cardinals and the NFL.

I really didn't think there would ever be another Cardinals player who could fill Larry Wilson's shoes, at least in my eyes---but---amazingly there was---a third round draft pick from North Carolina St. named Adrian Wilson. Ironic isn't it?---another Wilson. While A-Dub was more of an in-the-box SS, like Larry Wilson, he was the tone setter of the defense, he was the statement maker, he was the guy every offense had to account for as to where he was on the field---the guy teams had to do everything they could to avoid. And A-Dub took what Larry Wilson did as a blitzed and took it to another level. I still to this day do not understand why his coaches didn't blitz him every chance they could. Had they---i believe A-Dub would have posted HOF worthy sack totals. He simply, no matter what was not going to be denied when he was going after the QB. Then, I think my proudest moment as a Cardinals' fan came when A-Dub hoisted the Halas Trophy crying tears of utter joy. To me the number #24 is sacred and will always be.

Now---I feel like I am in love all over again with yet another safety: the Honey Badger, Tyrann Mathieu, #32. To me he is the quintessential defensive back, because he, my dear pals, can do it all. To hear him say on this interview that every day he wants the coaches to load his plate with as much as they can is so true to his spirit as a player and a person. To hear him say he even want to know and study what defensive ends do---is right at the very crux of his genius as a football player. Have you ever seen a defensive back blitz under such amazing control? Have you ever seen a defensive back be able to anticipate what the QB is going to do, so that even if he doesn't get to the QB he can stop on a dime and time his vertical perfectly? Have you ever seen a defensive back play with such savvy and aplomb all over the field from every which angle? Have you ever heard a man be more honest about himself?

We have been graced with watching three of the greatest safeties ever to lace up the pads---and what's so wonderful too is how committed all three of them are to the Cardinals' organization. They all are fiercely loyal---they bleed Cardinals' red and white they way we do---and they have every intention of paying it forward.

I don't know if you felt this way, but the once sense of solace I found after the dud of the NFC Championship Game at Carolina was the thought that it just wouldn't feel the same to win championships without The Badger.

When I dream of the day...I dream of the Honey Badger doing what A-Dub did, and hopefully taking it one game further. That's the dream I currently cling to.

*sniff*

+1

seesred

Reaction score
Remembering his first camp. You could tell from the first snap that he would be very special. He can play anywhere and know that the play will be a big hit, interception, backfield tackle or flying to the ball just like superman SS. I just hope he can stay well.

GBR

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cardiac--great post. Thanks for sharing with us. Mitch---great reminder of what excellence we have seen at safety