Keeping a cooler colder

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
When I got back from my last trip I noticed that I had dumped about a half bag of ice in my cooler before I left and had about a half bag when I got home and cleaned it out. I figured that people might want to know how I did that over 3 days.

I lined the inside of my cooler, which is just a Coleman Xtreme, with Refletix. Then I put a layer of Gatorade bottles filled with frozen salt water. The salt water freezes colder then just water so it adds more cooling power to your cooler. I keep adding these bottles and my food with the bottles (hopefully) lining the walls of the cooler and the food in the middle. Finally I dump some ice in to fill in the voids. I always buy a bag of ice at least a day before leaving so I can get it frozen solid. The freezers they store it in at the store don't get that cold so it tends to melt fast.

All of this does a couple things. First, when the water in the bottles melts it is still inside the bottles so it doesn't soak the food. Second, when/if the ice cubes melt the bottles are holding the food high enough that it cant sit in the water. Third, anything placed directly up against the bottles is going to freeze. So place your food accordingly.

This last thing I need to get better at since I packed my carton of Egg Beaters right next to a bottle and on Saturday morning it was too frozen to use.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Great tips, thanks!
It actually works really well. Of course you want to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. I am toying with the idea of making a cozy out of Refletix to go on the outside too.

I am also toying with the idea of making my own cooler. I have a big Rubbermaid tote that has a latching lid and we insulate every house at work with expanding spray foam. I was thuning I could have them foam the bottom and walls of the tote and then carve out the inside to fit a smaller tote. Drill in a drain hole and add some finish along the top edge and I should have a high dollar cooler for almost $0.

I have also been toying with the idea of tearing the top half of my cooler lid off and covering the bottom half with foam insulation. Then shaping the foam after it dries and placing a plastic sheet on top that I can use a heat gun on to mold it around the foam. Turns out you can 'weld' plastic together with a soldering iron. Then I my cooler would be insulated. The fact that most aren't is a constant source of irritation to me.

I am most likely to do the latter as my Rubbermaid tote is pretty big.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that getting the cooler cold prior to a trip makes a big difference. Insulation holds the heat in just as much as it holds the cold in. I always bring it in the day before a trip and dump my entire icemaker into it and let it cool over night, then the following day use it as needed.

I have been freezing water bottles lately to have less water in the cooler so food doesn't get wet but I find that then when I need water, all of it is frozen which has been a pain. Also, as I drink the waters the cooler isn't as cold because I didn't have enough ice to frozen waters ratio. I haven't found the right balance yet. Then with limited cooler space, lots of water bottles adds up to less stuff in the cooler too.

I had considered making ice sheets with a food saver that I can reuse every trip. I could make a lot of them and they would basically be like the ice packs you get for pain management and etc and then I could layer ice all throughout the cooler and not end up with a soggy mess at the end of the trip.

I also often go with a drink cooler and a food cooler for longer trips of trips that involve the whole family and in the drink cooler use pure ice but in the food cooler do water bottles and etc for the ice.

I have an RTIC cooler and then 3 regular coolers and man, the RTIC is one of the best investments I have ever made. I ended up buying it because on a trip to crown king, I had a cooler full of chocolate icewater (m&ms got soaked) while my buddy had a bag of ice still at the top of the trail.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollywood, as far as the egg beaters, I find it is best to cook eggs prior to leaving on a trip and have them in tupperwares. I do a mix of eggs, potato, sausage and etc and then when I am on a trail or at a campsite, I am simply heating up the food instead of cooking it which leads to a very simple and easy cleanup.

Also, you could just dump the eggs into a tortilla, wrap it in foil and throw it on your exhaust manifold and after 10-20 minutes of driving the burrito is ready to go. Good for adventure trips.

I have done this for dinners too by making pots of chili and etc and then just bringing it in a tupperware. This also could be done with the foodsaver idea I had and I could freeze the chili to add extra cold to the cooler and just pull the chili out mid day when I am eating it that night.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had considered making ice sheets with a food saver that I can reuse every trip. I could make a lot of them and they would basically be like the ice packs you get for pain management and etc and then I could layer ice all throughout the cooler and not end up with a soggy mess at the end of the trip.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night, only making them with salt water so they'd freeze harder. If you make any for pain management, use a 50/50 (or 75/25) combo of ice & rubbing alcohol. Those won't freeze hard and can bend to shape your needs.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done this for dinners too by making pots of chili and etc and then just bringing it in a tupperware. This also could be done with the foodsaver idea I had and I could freeze the chili to add extra cold to the cooler and just pull the chili out mid day when I am eating it that night.
Did this on our last camping trip. Used the food saver bag like a boil-in-bag. SUPER easy, minimal cleanup, total space saver.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Hollywood, as far as the egg beaters, I find it is best to cook eggs prior to leaving on a trip and have them in tupperwares. I do a mix of eggs, potato, sausage and etc and then when I am on a trail or at a campsite, I am simply heating up the food instead of cooking it which leads to a very simple and easy cleanup.

Also, you could just dump the eggs into a tortilla, wrap it in foil and throw it on your exhaust manifold and after 10-20 minutes of driving the burrito is ready to go. Good for adventure trips.

I would do that but as it turns out I am incapable of food prep before a camping trip. I consider it short of a miricle that I am able to meal plan and shop the day before I leave. But I have to do that so everything can be in the fridge/freezer over night .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do this when its just me and my son however I still bring my cooler for drinks. You arent in Arizona so you wouldnt understand :)

That pack is very inexpensive, how were they? I usually buy mountain house. It costs a lot more.

They are not gourmet level but they aren't bad either.

Usually it includes a pasta dish. A candy bar ( Tootsie roll). Pop Tart type thing and utensil pack. If you aren't acquainted they self cook in the outer package by adding water. Science type stuff. The next time they are available I will give you a heads up. They go fast. I keep a few dozen on hand for hurricanes and trips.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not gourmet level but they aren't bad either.

Usually it includes a pasta dish. A candy bar ( Tootsie roll). Pop Tart type thing and utensil pack. If you aren't acquainted they self cook in the outer package by adding water. Science type stuff. The next time they are available I will give you a heads up. They go fast. I keep a few dozen on hand for hurricanes and trips.

For sure, let me know.

Typically I use mountain house and the dinners you boil two cups of water, dump it in there and seal it. 8 minutes later you have a hot as hell, delicious meal.

then the desserts and whatnot you eat right from the bag.

I use this for boiling my water:

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.backcountry.com/jetboil...MItfvymffF1QIVz4uzCh3C1gg7EAQYAyABEgKI9vD_BwE

its great for heating water very quickly for brushing teeth in the morning too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a mountain house MRE from amazon:

http://a.co/bDCR5d5

Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles — Pro-Pak
Mountain House Beef Stroganoff is hands down one of the most popular meals we make. Made with real pieces of tender beef, savory mushrooms and onions in a creamy sauce, one bite will make you a believer. No longer do you need to waste time cleaning pots and pans after a meal. Simply add hot water to the pouch and in about 8-10 minutes you’ll have a delicious meal you can eat anywhere! Vacuum Sealed for compactness and so it won’t expand at altitude, our Pro-Paks are perfect for climbing and high altitude adventures

● Contains 2 1-cup servings

Who is Mountain House?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
here is a mountain house MRE from amazon:

http://a.co/bDCR5d5

Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles — Pro-Pak
Mountain House Beef Stroganoff is hands down one of the most popular meals we make. Made with real pieces of tender beef, savory mushrooms and onions in a creamy sauce, one bite will make you a believer. No longer do you need to waste time cleaning pots and pans after a meal. Simply add hot water to the pouch and in about 8-10 minutes you’ll have a delicious meal you can eat anywhere! Vacuum Sealed for compactness and so it won’t expand at altitude, our Pro-Paks are perfect for climbing and high altitude adventures

● Contains 2 1-cup servings

Who is Mountain House?

Are these any good? Do they fill you up and actually fuel you?

I'm hiking the grand canyon in November, and was looking at lightweight meals but the "expert" in sportsmans warehouse said these are "not real food."

Reaction score
For sure, let me know.

Typically I use mountain house and the dinners you boil two cups of water, dump it in there and seal it. 8 minutes later you have a hot as hell, delicious meal.

then the desserts and whatnot you eat right from the bag.

I use this for boiling my water:

https://www.backcountry.com/jetboil...MItfvymffF1QIVz4uzCh3C1gg7EAQYAyABEgKI9vD_BwE

its great for heating water very quickly for brushing teeth in the morning too.

Brushing teeth? I thought you were camping? :D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these any good? Do they fill you up and actually fuel you?

I'm hiking the grand canyon in November, and was looking at lightweight meals but the "expert" in sportsmans warehouse said these are "not real food."
They do fill you up and some of them are good I think. I'd try one one night just for the hell of it. They are packed with sodium but when it comes to hiking the canyon, no food weight on your back is worth over salting the food.

I packed into the canyon at havasupai with real food in my backpack. It wasn't smart.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk