Kindle

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a kindle? I'm thinking about asking my family for one for my bday.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my dad has one (he needs large print). I will see what he thinks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they start carrying college textbooks, (which I heard is going to be happening soon) I will probably get one.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have seen them, held them, and read some from one. Don't care fir them personally. The only feature I like is the wifi and being able to download books instantly. Like real books much much better.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, but not a Kindle, unless they improve it. AT&T is apparently working on one, and there are always Apple rumors.

I like the idea, but the Kindle is just not attractive and I don't like the big keyboard. I did download the Kindle iPhone app and that actually works pretty well if you only plan to read for a few minutes at a time while traveling or something.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, but not a Kindle, unless they improve it.
Were you aware they came out with a Kindle2? I only ask because i want to be clear if you have a problem with the new one...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Were you aware they came out with a Kindle2? I only ask because i want to be clear if you have a problem with the new one...

Yeah. I actually have a Google alert for e-reader. I am really interested in getting one, but don't think the available ones are quite there yet.

I think the Kindle2 is only a little better than the original and think some competition will force some better products. Sony's are decent, but I'm also a little stuck on what size to get. The Kindle DX would be good for pdf files, but might be a little too unwieldy for regular books. It would be nice to have a big one and a little one, but they're too expensive for that right now.

Let me know if you decide to get one. I don't actually know anyone who has one yet and would love to get first hand reviews. :)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I seriously considered it. But I like books. I like how they feel. I like being able to write on their pages and underline parts I want to think about. I like different types of type-sets. I like different kinds of paper and different kinds of bindings. I like looking around my house and seeing all these wonderful books.

But I'm running out of space so lately I've been haunting the library. And resisting the urge to scribble all over the silly things.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pops needs the kindle for large-print. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good reason to get one to me. That is, unless he doesn't like using better bifocals/magnifying glass.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My pops needs the kindle for large-print. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the font size. Also look at the bigger DX version, which would give him more screen size.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Interesting

July 18, 2009
Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle
By BRAD STONE

In George Orwell’s “1984,” government censors erase all traces of news articles embarrassing to Big Brother by sending them down an incineration chute called the “memory hole.”

On Friday, it was “1984” and another Orwell book, “Animal Farm,” that were dropped down the memory hole — by Amazon.com.

In a move that angered customers and generated waves of online pique, Amazon remotely deleted some digital editions of the books from the Kindle devices of readers who had bought them.

An Amazon spokesman, Drew Herdener, said in an e-mail message that the books were added to the Kindle store by a company that did not have rights to them, using a self-service function. “When we were notified of this by the rights holder, we removed the illegal copies from our systems and from customers’ devices, and refunded customers,” he said.

Amazon effectively acknowledged that the deletions were a bad idea. “We are changing our systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers’ devices in these circumstances,” Mr. Herdener said.

Customers whose books were deleted indicated that MobileReference, a digital publisher, had sold them. An e-mail message to SoundTells, the company that owns MobileReference, was not immediately returned.

Digital books bought for the Kindle are sent to it over a wireless network. Amazon can also use that network to synchronize electronic books between devices — and apparently to make them vanish.

An authorized digital edition of “1984” from its American publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, was still available on the Kindle store Friday night, but there was no such version of “Animal Farm.”

People who bought the rescinded editions of the books reacted with indignation, while acknowledging the literary ironies involved. “Of all the books to recall,” said Charles Slater, an executive with a sheet-music retailer in Philadelphia, who bought the digital edition of “1984” for 99 cents last month. “I never imagined that Amazon actually had the right, the authority or even the ability to delete something that I had already purchased.”

Antoine Bruguier, an engineer in Silicon Valley, said he had noticed that his digital copy of “1984” appeared to be a scan of a paper edition of the book. “If this Kindle breaks, I won’t buy a new one, that’s for sure,” he said.

Amazon appears to have deleted other purchased e-books from Kindles recently. Customers commenting on Web forums reported the disappearance of digital editions of the Harry Potter books and the novels of Ayn Rand over similar issues.

Amazon’s published terms of service agreement for the Kindle does not appear to give the company the right to delete purchases after they have been made. It says Amazon grants customers the right to keep a “permanent copy of the applicable digital content.”

Retailers of physical goods cannot, of course, force their way into a customer’s home to take back a purchase, no matter how bootlegged it turns out to be. Yet Amazon appears to maintain a unique tether to the digital content it sells for the Kindle.

“It illustrates how few rights you have when you buy an e-book from Amazon,” said Bruce Schneier, chief security technology officer for British Telecom and an expert on computer security and commerce. “As a Kindle owner, I’m frustrated. I can’t lend people books and I can’t sell books that I’ve already read, and now it turns out that I can’t even count on still having my books tomorrow.”

Justin Gawronski, a 17-year-old from the Detroit area, was reading “1984” on his Kindle for a summer assignment and lost all his notes and annotations when the file vanished. “They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.

On the Internet, of course, there is no such thing as a memory hole. While the copyright on “1984” will not expire until 2044 in the United States, it has already expired in other countries, including Canada, Australia and Russia. Web sites in those countries offer digital copies of the book free to all comers.

bowlisme

Reaction score
Amazon now sells the Kindle for $299. Not sure how much the Kindle 3 goes for ;)

mike42

Reaction score
I've had a Kindle (the original version) for about a year now. I love it. Since I've gotten it, I read more than I used to (and when I was reading "dead tree" books I was reading about a book a week).

The flexibility with Kindle is great (books, newspapers, magazines...). I particularly like it when I travel, since I only have to pack one thing (instead of thinking about which two or three books I want to lug along).

I completely get what people are saying when they talk about liking to read an actual book, turn pages, feel the book, etc. But once you get reading on the Kindle, you completely forget all of that. The machine gets lost and it "feels" like reading.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely get what people are saying when they talk about liking to read an actual book, turn pages, feel the book, etc. But once you get reading on the Kindle, you completely forget all of that. The machine gets lost and it "feels" like reading.
That's good feedback. Thanks.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day I had, still have really though the library has been discontinued, the eBook. I loved eBook even though compared to Kindle it was way bulky and the process to get books was multi-stepped. I read like mad and really liked being able to carry 10 books around with me. But alas eBook went the way of the Beta--I can still reread (yep I do that too) all the books I purchased for it but they are not transferable to an alternate device because of proprietary issues.

I have been waiting to buy the Kindle because I was afraid that down the road history would repeat itself, gun shy I guess. I was really close to making the Kindle my Christmas wish so I will be checking any reviews you guys can add between now and then. I thought with the power of Amazon behind it the Kindle could succeed, I’m not sure the same can be said for the Sony, but I have been wrong before.

I think it is because that many avid readers are hesitant to give up the “reading” experience and that a lot of companies don’t have the patience to hold out for us to catch up with them, if the thing doesn’t sell like gangbusters they call it a failure and move on.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been using my Ipod touch to read books. You can adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen such that it is not much of a strain on the eyes at all. Page turning by tapping the screen is a nice feature too.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I think it is because that many avid readers are hesitant to give up the “reading” experience ...

OK, I was one of those, but have had a kindle for about 4 months and I LUV it. It's a simple, plain-old reading experience! I am reading MORE than before- and not like I ever hesitated to buy books. I... I almost prefer the kindle experience. I never lose my place!

Picture books, things like that, it has a ways to go. And yeah, it has room for some tweaking to make searching, highlighting, 'scribbling in the margins' etc a smidge more natural, and man, I'm waiting for it all to be voice command. Since its up to the individual publisher how careful to be about formatting a book for e-pub there can be some glitches, but contrary to my initial fairly strong resistance:

I DO NOT MISS THE PRINT-ON-PAPER READING EXPERIENCE ONE BIT.

oh, and kindle edition sales just surpassed soft-cover book sales on Amazon, having passed hardcovers awhile ago.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, I was one of those, but have had a kindle for about 4 months and I LUV it. It's a simple, plain-old reading experience! I am reading MORE than before- and not like I ever hesitated to buy books. I... I almost prefer the kindle experience. I never lose my place!

Picture books, things like that, it has a ways to go. And yeah, it has room for some tweaking to make searching, highlighting, 'scribbling in the margins' etc a smidge more natural, and man, I'm waiting for it all to be voice command. Since its up to the individual publisher how careful to be about formatting a book for e-pub there can be some glitches, but contrary to my initial fairly strong resistance:

I DO NOT MISS THE PRINT-ON-PAPER READING EXPERIENCE ONE BIT.

Pretty much that. I don't miss turning paper pages, losing my place, or having to search bookstores for a book I want. And they are down to $139 now. The battery lasts forever. Great for airplanes.

oh, and kindle edition sales just surpassed soft-cover book sales on Amazon, having passed hardcovers awhile ago.

That surprises me. But it is nice to save 30-40 percent off the cost of buying a new book.

AZZenny

Reaction score
OK, I did find myself fuming a bit at my kindle this past weekend. I was trying to do an exercise involving analyzing plot development in several books I like to see similarities, and not being able to put simple stickies on paper pages was a pain; also, some books do the chapter-jumps and there are some that don't. Again, my kid the new e-publisher tells me its left up to the original publisher how much to invest in formatting a new e-pub for things like that.

So for researching type purposes where you might need to hop back and forth in one book or compare with other books, kindle and e-pubs do seem to have a (temporary, I'm sure) deficiency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen