Mychal Kendricks has been released

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i hope we can sign him, would be a great addition in our thin and unexperienced linebacker corp

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are they just letting him go? They also tried to trade him last year to the 49ers what’s the deal with him???

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker tre Boston

Taylor Peterson

Bucannon kendricks reddick

Jones Nkemdiche Peters Golden​

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why are they just letting him go? They also tried to trade him last year to the 49ers what’s the deal with him???
He had the 7th most snaps and 2nd most tackles last year, for the Eagles. He was starting and playing due to another players injury...and, ironically, another LB the Eagles signed in FA went down in practice today, after he was released.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was going to count $7.6 mil against the cap this season. It looks like his playing time in 2016 was really cut down so he had a bad statistical year & then he only ended up playing a decent amount for the Eagles last year because of injuries. He was solid his 1st 4 years, but it looks like he had some injuries in 2014 & 2015 that caused him to miss 3-4 games each season.

We could really use him, but I doubt he's in our price range.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"On paper" it makes sense for us to advocate for signing Kendricks.

But there's a "buyer beware" vibe to this that makes me nervous - we'd be well-advised to proceed with caution. (i.e. cap-hit or not - teams don't ordinarily release good players).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

But there's a "buyer beware" vibe to this that makes me nervous - we'd be well-advised to proceed with caution. (i.e. cap-hit or not - teams don't ordinarily release good players).
Maybe PHI needs salary cap relief?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I have no basis for this, but maybe the team knows there is some sort of PED/banned substance suspension looming?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

He would be the best ILB on this roster at this point! Unless it’s assault or something similar we need to kick the tires today!

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree, Jeff. Also because he was released shortly after the Eagles’ new acquisition, linebacker Paul Worrilow, went down with an ACL. To be fair, the Eagles apparently did not know the severity of his injury before releasing Kendricks but the timing is still a bit odd.

After the 2016 season there was a lot of talk that the Eagles were trying to trade Kendricks, apparently because he wasn’t a fit in their new defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz’, defense. That did not happen, but following that season, Kendricks himself demanded a trade. I don’t know if there were not any takers, or if the Eagles did not want to let him leave. Not long ago the rumors that they were trying to trade him popped up again, but in the end, he was obviously released.

I don’t know if the above is concerning or not. Like I wrote, the word out of Philadelphia is that they first tried to trade him because he didn’t fit their new defensive scheme, and then he asked for at trade himself after it was proved to him that he did in fact not fit in the scheme. Last season he played a lot because their middle linebacker, Jordan Hicks, was out for the season with an injury, which meant that Kendricks could play the position that suited him the best.

Another important part of the story is that the Eagles will probably designate Kendricks as a post-June 1 cut, and thus save six million on their salary cap. I am guessing that, because of the reasons mentioned above, he did not want to restructure his contract with the Eagles even is they asked him to.

With the trend being that NFL teams only utilizes two linebackers most of the time, I would imagine that Bucannon and Reddick are being viewed as the main linebackers in part due to their athleticism, and if Kendricks want a deal equal to the one he had, I am not sure the Cardinals are interested. That could be why no one were willing to give up anything to acquire him. He is not at all a bad athlete, and he is certainly a better player than Josh Bynes. On the other hand, Bynes supposedly knows the playbook very well, and I thought he did impress last season. I am probably leaning toward signing Kendricks, but it is not as much of an obvious signing to me as others are suggesting.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It's all about what your willing to pay and what he's willing to take. Give him a prove it contract with no guaranree of a starting job. With a new staff he should jump on it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Back on the market after getting released after being charged with insider trading. Not sure if he'll do time, he is cooperating with authorities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen