OK...I'm desperate now.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still cannot log into the chat room. I have Windows 98. I have downloaded and am now using Internet Explorer 6.0 and have seemingly downloaded nearly every free download Java offers!!! :rolleyes: I now have Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06, _07, and _08. I have also made sure that all of the Java options are enabled in my Internet Tools Options under the Advanced tab. What else do I need to do? I would sincerely appreciate any help anyone can give me. Wanna be able to log into the draft chat this weekend. Thanks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
I still cannot log into the chat room. I have Windows 98. I have downloaded and am now using Internet Explorer 6.0 and have seemingly downloaded nearly every free download Java offers!!! :rolleyes: I now have Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06, _07, and _08. I have also made sure that all of the Java options are enabled in my Internet Tools Options under the Advanced tab. What else do I need to do? I would sincerely appreciate any help anyone can give me. Wanna be able to log into the draft chat this weekend. Thanks.

Do yourself a favor. Go out and upgrade to windows xp home edition. I was having all kinds of problems with my windows 98 and found out that in a very short time windows 98 will be obsolete.
Yes, it will set you back about a $100 but you are eventually going to have to do it anyway.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I would remove all the Java listing in your Add/Remove Programs, then reboot and install just the latest one.

Upgrading to XP is a good idea if you have a Pentium III processor and at least 256MB RAM. Otherwise it will probably run too slow and you will not like it.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Here's a ridiculous solution:

Download Knoppix, burn to CD, reboot using it to run linux off of the CD. Chat.

:D

OP
OP
B

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help!!! I do sincerely appreciate it!!!! You summed it up for me CardinalLaw!!!! :D I have an IBM Aptiva E Series..circa 1999. Not sure what the RAM is on it. I did find that it has a Memory of 64.0 MB of RAM. Whatever that is???? :D I will have to weigh my options. Don't have a CD burner. Skorp, can we go back to the old chat requirements? :D Thanks again all!!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen