OT: Jason White on Fox Sports Radio Earlier Today

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I meant to post this earlier today. Jason White the Heisman Trophy winner was on Fox Sports Radio this afternoon (interviewed by the crew just before Chris Meyer) and I thought I would post the highlights of it as I remember them.

Let me state right from the start that even though I live in Arkansas I am a die-hard Sooner fan as I was born in a little town near Norman and thereby "came out of the crib" rooting for them. The main reason I wanted to post this is I remember a few poster's on here at the time wondering why he was never drafted by any in NFL team after his senior year at OU. I too wondered why and I found this interesting. This is the jist of it as I recall. It isn't word for word:

First the the interviewer told of how he came back from from consecutive anterior cruciate ligament tears and reconstructive knee surgeries on both knees during the 2001 and 2002 seasons and how he went on to have a great career for the Sooners and won the Heisman in 2003.

Then he asked him what he was doing now and he said he was working for an Insurance Company in OKC and recently opened a Foot Locker franchise store there.

Then they asked him why he didn't get drafted and what happened that he never did make any NFL team. He stated that he really wasn't surprised that he wasn't and didn't expect to be drafted for a variety of reasons but he did expect to be offered a free agent contract very soon after the draft ended. "The draft was over and nobody called. The next day no calls. Second day after it still no calls and I said "maybe my football days are over." Third day the Chiefs called and they worked out a contract." I believe he said he went to the Chiefs mini camp maybe and they said he just wasn't what they were looking for and said goodbye. Then he said he really thought it was over.

"Then the Tennessee Titans called (sometime later that spring or early summer) and we worked out a contract." He then went on to express his deep appreciation for the Titans and Jeff Fisher for giving him a chance. He goes through training camp and it came down to final cuts and Fisher told him " you really need to think hard about what you really want to do. You are 25 and you're already walking with a signifigant limp." Then he said they talked some more and finally Fish just told him "we would like to keep you but we don't think your knees can hold up to the grueling nature of a full NFL football season." So he knew then it wasn't meant to be.

Just found it interesting and thought I would share.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen