Passing the Eye Test: Players at the East-West Shrine & Senior Bowls

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I spent several hours yesterday and today reviewing the All-Star Bowl games and here are my notes:

Here were my favorites at the positions of need for the Cardinals:

QB:

1. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan. Has a more than adequate arm and very good feet. Moves the team with a great sense of tempo and command. Throws a very catchable ball, and has excellent touch, like the 40 yard fade TD he dropped in to Mardy Gilyard. Superb red zone threat because of his feet and passing touch.

2. Mike Kafka, Northwestern. Another up tempo QB who plays a gritty, gutsy style. Throws over the top (which I have always preferred) and has very good anticipation of the precise moment to deliver the ball. Has very good feet, similar to LeFevour's, and he steps strongly into his throws. Runs a great two minute drill. Won the East-West Shrine game on a 60 yard drive with 1:44 left, making several excellent throws (including the game winner to TE Andrew Quarless with under 20 seconds left) and clutch scrambles.

RB: (not a need but I wanted to add this player in)

1. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon. Despite his temper issues, this guy is a load with serious wheels. Runs a little to high for my liking but moves the pile anyway.

OL:

1. Mike Iupati, G, Idaho. Big, strong mauler, who has horrible pass protection technique. But, the physical upside is enormous. Which made me wonder: at 6-5, 329, what would he look like at NT?

2. Vladimir Ducasse, T, UMass. Can maul you with his strength and finesse you with his quickness. Has a rare blend of both. Russ Grimm would turn this guy into a Pro Bowler in three years or so.

WR:

1. Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati. He's one of those rare players who has a knack for making his presence felt at key times in ballgames. Some WRs might be a little faster or bigger, but they don't command the ball being thrown his way the way Gilyard does. Cris Carter wasn't the biggest or fastest, but he was a TD magnet. Gilyard was in college and should be in the NFL as well. Very good return man.

2. Dexter McCluster, Misssissippi. He will be electrifying for whatever team takes him. You can line him up in the backfield or in the slot or motion him wide, and he has about as quick a set of feet as you will ever find. Plus, he has a very good sense of how to avoid punishing contact, which at his size is key. Very good return man as well.

3. Andre Roberts, The Citadel. This kid is sneaky fast, runs great routes and has excellent stick-um hands. Looks like a capable #3-4 WR who will develop into a productive #2.

4. Taylor Price, Ohio. A real burner who needs to command the ball the way Gilyard does.

5. Jacobi Ford, Clemson. Ditto.

6. Blair White, Michigan St. Looks like a sure handed Jerheme Urban. Smart at getting open, as Urban is...but very reliable at catching the ball.

TE:

1. Dennis Pitta, BYU. Not only does he catch everything in sight and has a real knack for breaking open, unlike most TEs you see these days after the catch, Pitta lowers his shoulder and does not shy away from contact. he's not much of a blocker, but this kid is a first-rate receiver.

2. Colin Peek, Alabama. Big, tough, athletic and sure-handed. Whiz's kind of TE. I could see Whiz taking him on Day 3.

3. Andrew Quarless, Penn. St. Has all the physical tools, needs to as John Lott says, "get your mind right."

DT:

1. Dan Williams, Tennessee. Love the way he initiates the contact and stands the center up in an effort to drive him backward. But, he needs to maneuver the center quicker in order to make more plays on the ball.

2. Geno Atkins, Georgia. This kid is on the smaller side, but has outstanding feet and quickness.

3. Jared Odrick, Penn. St. Works his legs non-stop and plays with a tremendous sense of urgency. Has tremendous stamina and the will to win.

4. Mike Neal, Purdue. Very athletic. Locates the ball quickly and finishes off plays showing very good lateral and upfield quickness.

5. Nate Collins, Virginia. Too small for NT, but with his quick feet and sneaky strength he could be a real force as a 3-4 DE.

6. Terrence Cody, Alabama. Shows surprising quickness for a man his size...but disappointing strength for a man his size.

ILB:

1. Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri. Has tremendous sideline to sideline speed and coverage ability. Looks and plays small in other areas, like stepping up to meet blockers and RBs. Plays with great energy and enthusiasm. Needs to get stronger.

2. Daryl Washington, TCU. Unlike Weatherspoon who is actually 241 pounds, Washington looks and plays bigger, despite his 226 weight. However, Washington does not react as quickly as Weatherspoon and will need to hone his instincts as he gets physically stronger.

3. A.J. Edds, Iowa. Great cover LB, who, like Washington needs to play more physcial and more instinctively in the running game.

4. Mike McLaughlin, Boston College. Has rebounded quickly from a torn Achilles...packs a punch on his hits and runs down hill to the ball very well. Lack preferred sideline to sideline speed, which makes him strictly a MILB. Tough, gritty competitor. Very good tackler.

OLB/DE

1. Brandon Graham, Michigan. Was the best player I saw in the games, maybe by a wide margin. Despite having short height and arm length, Graham is a whirling tornado on the field who has tremendous lower body strength to go with quick feet and impressive closing speed...this kid is a great tackler...he reminds me of a cross between Dwight Freeney and Lamarr Woodley.

2. Koa Misi, Utah. Splendid athlete, high motor player, very good tackler. Needs to be able to keep on a little more weight.

3. Dakota Watson, Florida St. Had a very good Senior Bowl showing exemplary edge quickness versus the run. Is lean and chiseled. Needs to add strength...but, like Misi, is the kind of athlete who could play both inside and outside in the 3-4.

4. O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin. Super active player who can step up and make plays and cover in space.

5. Austen Lane, Murray St. Thick and reasonably ahtletic. Could be a sleeper.

6. Greg Hardy, Mississippi. A little loose jointed, but he turns the corner well and has a burst to the QB.

7. James Ruffin, Northern Iowa. Had a very good sack in the East-West game, after a so-so week of practice apparently. But, he looks the part and had a very good stutter-step move.

8. Brandon Lang and Cameron Sheffield, Troy. Lang's the stronger of the two but Sheffield is much quicker off the ball. Both have upside.

CB:

1. Devin McCourty, Rutgers. Smooth and fast...good ball awareness.

2. Kyle Wilson, Boise St. Same. Both have great feet. And both are very good return men.

3. Chris Cook, Virginia. Tall, fast and fiesty.

4. Javier Arenas, Alabama. One super tough cookie, with smallish but strong frame and tremendous feet. A nickle back and premier return man.

5. Perrish Cox, Oklahoma St. Aniother tough cookie. A real enforcer on the edge in coverage and in run support.

6. Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest. Has all the tools, but, needs to play with greater passion.

7. Patrick Robinson, Florida St. Maybe the best cover CB feet wise, but, like Ghee needs to add more passion and physicality to his game.

8. Jamar Wall, Texas Tech. A real battler out there...takes some risks, but has his head totally in the game. Good physical player.

K

1. Leigh Tiffin, Alabama. Lacks a huge leg especially on kickoffs, but as many times as I've watched Alabama the past few years, I don't think I have ever seen him miss a field goal, especially in clutch situations.

I didn't list the players I wasn't as impressed with, but if you would like my thoughts on anyone please let me know.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
*Ugh* The love for Kafka continues. What is it about an old, crabby writer/philosopher ;)

Seriously though, just watch him play in real games, and you will not see an NFL QB prospect.

Heck, he wasn't even a good enough QB prospect for Penn 'Paterno wanted Jim Kelly to convert to LB' State!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice write up WM. One of your best efforts of late.

I thought Wall played very good in the E/W game. The linemen were impressive as well. Their was one you didn't mention...I have to look up his name on the rosters who created some havoc on the DL.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3. Jared Odrick, Penn. St. Works his legs non-stop and plays with a trmendous sense of urgency. Has tremenous stamina and the will to win.

If the Cardinals wanted to move Dockett next off season this kid would be the way to go. JMHO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mike Iupati, G, Idaho. Big, strong mauler, who has horrible pass protection technique. But, the physical upside is enormous. Which made me wonder: at 6-5, 329, what would he look like at NT?
Alan Branch, with a motor?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
*Ugh* The love for Kafka continues. What is it about an old, crabby writer/philosopher ;)

Seriously though, just watch him play in real games, and you will not see an NFL QB prospect.

Heck, he wasn't even a good enough QB prospect for Penn 'Paterno wanted Jim Kelly to convert to LB' State!

I like Kafka better than Lefevour. Some peeps like chocolate, some like vanilla

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Dexter McCluster, Appalachian St. He will be electrifying for whatever team takes him. You can line him up in the backfield or in the slot or motion him wide, and he has about as quick a set of feet as you will ever find. Plus, he has a very good sense of how to avoid punishing contact, which at his size is key. Very good return man as well.

Doesn't McCluster play for Ole Miss???

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Dexter McCluster, Appalachian St. He will be electrifying for whatever team takes him. You can line him up in the backfield or in the slot or motion him wide, and he has about as quick a set of feet as you will ever find. Plus, he has a very good sense of how to avoid punishing contact, which at his size is key. Very good return man as well.

Doesn't McCluster play for Ole Miss???

Exactly...total typo on my part.

Early

Registered
Reaction score

If the Cardinals wanted to move Dockett next off season this kid would be the way to go. JMHO.

That's one hell of a point. Whisenhunt is always one step ahead of us MB posters offcourse. Or several or many steps. Look at the Early Doucet pick. They offcourse knew at the time what was going to happen down the road. They needed an Anquan 2.0 version to take over. Not the same year. But with some learning curve. Plenty of examples as these, like with Rashad Johnson. They knew Rolle's contract and that he would ask for big money they probably couldn't match that this year.

In same manner, this draft will tell us a story that will happen at least two years from now. If we pick a very talented under-tackle that plays the one gap penetration technique, like Odrick, a player that reminds me alot of Dockett, then this could be indicating that DD will be gone, or at least that they plan it at current time.

Great post Mitch! I agree with most of the stuff, we think in a similar way. I have few players in other positions, i have watched alot of tape recently and i would like to share that.

I chose to focus on the WR position this year and I have found as much tape as possible for every prospect that is declaring. Now, for some prospects obtaining games was easy, for some it was very hard. I would say in average I have watched at least 7 or 8 games of each of these below. But the number varies alot. This is what I would like to say about them. Ohhh, and by the way, I think this is a hell of a draft for finding a wideout. Since college has opened up the passing game, become airbourne from the shotgun, the WR's have become better. In some way at least. They catch more passes and get better hands. Their route trees are bit more primitive than in a WC offense, so that's the issue here, but there are some really soft hands in this draft simply due to so much game practice.

Dez Bryant: I wouldn't touch him, i see him busting in the pros. Works in college - not in NFL. Too many uncertainties about him. Hands. And ability to shake the defender of in single man coverage. I don't like his feet and hands. His size will not help him that much in NFL as in college. His character is also an open question.

Benn: Fantastic YAC reciever, but not enough polished and with soft hands to start making the Marshall comparison. I think he can develop into a good player, but there is risk involved here and i don't like risks in round 1. There are some stuff in his game that are sick, like his ability to both be elusive and break defenders. Much like Brandon Marshall.

Golden Tate: Steve Smith version 2.0, he will be amazing IMO.

Damian Williams: By far the best reciever in this draft, Reggie Wayne 2.0. This is the true definition of WC flanker. Can run any route to precision and has these very soft hands. Adjust well compared to situation which proves he understands the game from Xs and Os standpoint. Not a great YAC reciever but not a bad one either. Takes what defense gives and sometimes even more than that. He is more the elusive runner than the one that is able to break defenders. But still plays a physical game. I love his interviews and his personality above all. I love everything about him on tapes as well.

Gilyard: For some reason i think that his personality will be an issue later on. It's probably just me or some instinct that tells me that. He is good and talented, no doubt about that, i think he will play on sundays and produce and even alot. I love his tapes, and he is just amazing. Plays alot faster on the field than on the track. His lateral speed is so easy to see and I came away impressed. In the middle of the field the lateral speed and separation will be of great value, but the most impressive about him is that he is just as dangerous as a sideline reciever. You can squeeze him but he still makes the plays.

Carlton Mitchell: Raw. He has alot to learn before he can play in NFL.

Demaryius Thomas: Look above for Mitchell. Raw at this stage.

Andre Roberts: More polished reciever that will able to step on the field early on. Has good hands and like Gilyard has this lateral speed to work in the slot, but still makes plays on the sideline as well. This could be a great pick.

Jacoby Ford: His track speed is not impressive, it's the fact that he is very fast on the field. He is actually a footballplayer, not barely a track guy. A great footballplayer? No, he is not, and he has alot to learn, but he has some fundamentals already in place which is a good thing. Maybe the best comparison is Knox from the Bears. Not a great footballplayer, not a track guy, somewhere in between at this stage.

Riley Cooper: Fantastic hands. Not good enough route runner and not good at YAC's. His hands is really the only thing to notice. I like the kid alot and he can become a reliable option in the depth, but i can never see him becoming great and dominating. Good value later in the draft or UDFA for picking some soft hands that you can trust on.

Shipley: good hands, separation, adjustment... He is going to be really really good in the pros..Footballplayer all the way ..I love his feet as much as his hands. He is best when inside of the corner, not a sideline reciever at this stage, but has alot of the tools ready to develop that as well. He will be in the slot in the NFL early on.

Blair White: Now i can get alot of critics for this...But i think he is a top 5, if not top 3 reciever in this class. There is absolutely nothing he can't do. He has the softest hands, he can adjust in the air, he can gain considerable separation with his feet/route running alone, he can even get separation by pure speed on certain routes. This guy is actually fast on the field with pads on. Not the greatest YAC guy, but not the worst either. Sideline or inside, it doesn't matter. Like Williams, he can be elusive from time to time. I love his interviews. I love everything about him. He even has decent size and he knows how to use his frame to his advantage in situations that require that. I get the feeling, that his guy will become great.

Dezmon Briscoe: Fragile. Not completely raw, but to weak separation with feet alone, and it's not like he uses his height to his advantage as he could in some situations. There is talent for sure, but I don't see him producing early on.

Eric Decker: Fantastic value in mid/low rounds. He has the best adjustment ability of any WR in this class. In fact in many recent years, it's that impressive how he coordinates his body in the air prior to a catch, reminds me of Fitz in this skill. He has great hands. He has great ability to catch in traffic and take the hit. I don't like his lateral quickness which will limit his ability to separate on certain routes. Not good at YACs despite the size. All in all, a very polished reciever that will probably never reach greatness, but will always be a solid and reliable option. Great pick. Has injury issues, that can be a problem.

Ryan Wolfe: Look this guy up on youtube or somewhere. Because he can run routes, i tell you that. He can catch as well. Not the most athletic guy, and that can cause big problems when the game becomes much faster in the pros. But he has the ability to shake any defender on couple of certain routes that he often uses and keeps making to perfection. It's guaranteed you get at least a solid option here.

Currently i'm watching guys like Sanders, Denario Alexander, Roosevelt, LaFell and Freddie Barnes and there is alot of talent there.

Currently my list is following:

1. Damian Williams
2. Golden Tate
3. Blair White
4. Jordan Shipley
5. Mardy Gilyard
6. Andre Roberts
7. Eric Decker
8. Naman Roosevelt
9. Benn
10. Ryan Wolfe

I think all these players will at least become solid options in NFL and couple of them will become star players. Many of them are in mid/lower rounds. Even a guy like Damian Williams can slip, which makes it very tempting.

choginals

Reaction score
1. Leigh Tiffin, Alabama. Lacks a huge leg especially on kickoffs, but as many times as I've watched Alabama the past few years, I don't think I have ever seen him miss a field goal, especially in clutch situations.

Check out Arkansas vs Alabama 2006?
He missed a 30 yarder with 3 minutes to go, a 37 yarder in OT, and missed an extra point in OT. Arkansas won 24-23.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Currently my list is following:

1. Damian Williams
2. Golden Tate
3. Blair White
4. Jordan Shipley
5. Mardy Gilyard
6. Andre Roberts
7. Eric Decker
8. Naman Roosevelt
9. Benn
10. Ryan Wolfe
Very nice writeup E, and informative. Why do you have benn so low when your comparing him almost to Marshall?

Liked what I saw of Shipley this year. Eric Decker won't last much into the 4th round, IMO. Might go even in the 3rd. How do you rate the Ohio U reciever the Cards are loooking at?