Path to winning the NFC West

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend yesterday and he referenced a post he read on Reddit where someone made the prediction that the Cardinals would win the NFC West this year.

So it got me thinking, what needs to happen for the Cardinals to win the NFC West this year.

The scenario that I could see happening is that the Cardinals become a good rushing team immediately. Between DJ, Murray, Edmonds, and the occasion jet sweep from Kirk/Isabella. I would say this will require around 2000 rush yards to be the magic number for this scenario to come into play.

This also relies on the Cardinals offensive line becoming a middle of the pack unit this year. DJ Humphries gets healthy and Gilbert plays most of the year. The passing game is predicated on quick passes and the occasional deep throw from Murray to the young receivers.

The defense will have to improve as well, and I think this is more likely to happen. Hicks will have to stay healthy. Suggs will have to maintain the level of play he's played at over the past few seasons. Alford needs to bounce back, and Murphy needs to contribute in the slot. I'm more bullish on the defense because the core is stronger and it doesn't rely on health as much as the offense.

As far as teams in the division, the Cardinals have to go at least 3-3, if not 4-2 to win the West this year. Split games with the Rams and Seahawks, and sweep the Niners. The most difficult part of this idea is actually winning ONE game against the Rams since the Cardinals have struggled mightily against the McVay led Rams. I can see the Cardinals sweeping the Niners, since the Cardinals have had a lot of success against that team over the past 5 years. I think the Seahawks take a step back because they lost two of their three best defensive players (Clark and Thomas) and didn't add much to replace their production.

Offensive production from the Cardinals:

Kyler Murray, 3600 yards passing, 700 rushing. 62% completion percentage, 22 passing TDs, 6 rushing TDs.

David Johnson, 1100 yards rushing, 12 TDs, 600 receiving yards, 3 TDs

I know this is crazy, but we've seen crazy in the NFL before. We've seen teams go from worst to first in one season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First step...beat the Lions.

I think the key to this season is our defense. We have the talent. Going back to the 3-4 will make us better.

I think the improvement on offense will feed the defense and vice- versa. The biggest thing is to stay somewhat healthy.

It’s hard to think of unseating the Rams this year. There is a learning curve we are going to go through and it’s not just Murray.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
At the moment, the Cardinals have the most unproven coach, most unproven QB, are very young and deficient in talent at key positions. It’s a fool’s bet to think this team is any better than third in the division. The division will play out like:

LA
SF
SEA
AZ

It would take a lot of luck to finish anywhere near .500.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the moment, the Cardinals have the most unproven coach, most unproven QB, are very young and deficient in talent at key positions. It’s a fool’s bet to think this team is any better than third in the division. The division will play out like:

STL
SF
SEA
AZ

It would take a lot of luck to finish anywhere near .500.
There's a team in St. Louis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think they will be much improved and very fun. But to win the division?

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
I seriously get the feeling we'll be above San Fran and Seattle. Losing Frank Clark, Kam Chancellor, Doug Baldwin, AND Earl Thomas is devastating for any defense. Add on to the fact that the Seahawks have very few weapons and I don't think they'll do much better than 5-11. As for San Fran, I think Jimmy G isn't as good as people make him out to be. Dude did alright against piss poor competition in 2017 and all the sudden he's the QBOTF? That's ridiculous. The Niners also have virtually no defense, so I don't see them doing well. I feel like we'll be in second place at the very least. Whether that's a 6-10 or a 10-6, we'll soon find out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think they will be much improved and very fun. But to win the division?
Krang isn’t making a prediction. He’s asking, what would have to happen for the cards to win the division. No matter how insane the idea, there’s likely a set of facts in the universe that could see this happening. Like 50% of the Rams starters ending up on IR writhing the first 7 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I seriously get the feeling we'll be above San Fran and Seattle. Losing Frank Clark, Kam Chancellor, Doug Baldwin, AND Earl Thomas is devastating for any defense. Add on to the fact that the Seahawks have very few weapons and I don't think they'll do much better than 5-11. As for San Fran, I think Jimmy G isn't as good as people make him out to be. Dude did alright against piss poor competition in 2017 and all the sudden he's the QBOTF? That's ridiculous. The Niners also have virtually no defense, so I don't see them doing well. I feel like we'll be in second place at the very least. Whether that's a 6-10 or a 10-6, we'll soon find out.
Virtually no defense? they just added Dee Ford and drafted Bosa. I suspect their passrush just improved exponentially.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As with most "surprise" playoff teams, the path starts with surprising health. At least four OL starters need to play 15 games.

Then, you need Kingsbury's offense to work in the NFL in a way that (1) provides at least league-average production and (2) onboards inexperienced WR talent much faster than traditional NFL offenses. People forget that it takes a while for wideouts to adjust to the NFL game. Mike Williams was drafted 7th overall by the Chargers and started just five games in his second season.

I have no concerns about the defense. I think they're going to be a Top 12 unit. If the offense can be average, we'll be in the hunt all season. The median offenses in the NFL last season by DVOA were Cleveland and Philly.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend yesterday and he referenced a post he read on Reddit where someone made the prediction that the Cardinals would win the NFC West this year.

So it got me thinking, what needs to happen for the Cardinals to win the NFC West this year.

The scenario that I could see happening is that the Cardinals become a good rushing team immediately. Between DJ, Murray, Edmonds, and the occasion jet sweep from Kirk/Isabella. I would say this will require around 2000 rush yards to be the magic number for this scenario to come into play.

This also relies on the Cardinals offensive line becoming a middle of the pack unit this year. DJ Humphries gets healthy and Gilbert plays most of the year. The passing game is predicated on quick passes and the occasional deep throw from Murray to the young receivers.

The defense will have to improve as well, and I think this is more likely to happen. Hicks will have to stay healthy. Suggs will have to maintain the level of play he's played at over the past few seasons. Alford needs to bounce back, and Murphy needs to contribute in the slot. I'm more bullish on the defense because the core is stronger and it doesn't rely on health as much as the offense.

As far as teams in the division, the Cardinals have to go at least 3-3, if not 4-2 to win the West this year. Split games with the Rams and Seahawks, and sweep the Niners. The most difficult part of this idea is actually winning ONE game against the Rams since the Cardinals have struggled mightily against the McVay led Rams. I can see the Cardinals sweeping the Niners, since the Cardinals have had a lot of success against that team over the past 5 years. I think the Seahawks take a step back because they lost two of their three best defensive players (Clark and Thomas) and didn't add much to replace their production.

Kyler Murray, 3600 yards passing, 700 rushing. 62% completion percentage, 22 passing TDs, 6 rushing TDs.

I know this is crazy, but we've seen crazy in the NFL before. We've seen teams go from worst to first in one season.
Seattle just got rid of Cam Chancellor too man that team is changing a lot not to mention Baldwin is also gone they very well be a sub 500 team next year

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seattle just got rid of Cam Chancellor too man that team is changing a lot not to mention Baldwin is also gone they very well be a sub 500 team next year

I thought Seattle wasnt going to be a playoff team last year, and they Russell Wilson and running game.

Their defense was average last year and took some hits. Their receiving corps lost production and replaced it with a big, fast guy who runs a three cone like an OT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This take is extremely bad. The Seahawks got 0 games from Chancellor last season and they still made the playoffs. Earl Thomas played 4 games and they were in the top half of the league as a defense.

People say this every year about the Seahawks and then they grind out 10 wins.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This take is extremely bad. The Seahawks got 0 games from Chancellor last season and they still made the playoffs. Earl Thomas played 4 games and they were in the top half of the league as a defense.

Barely top half. More like average.

Losing their good nickel corner and best edge rusher is going to hurt. Ansah has been done for three years. Reminds me of bringing Joey Porter....just a name.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

Didnt say they wont for as much as I really dont like them it's sad to watch these players (who I love to hate) leave the team and or the game

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Barely top half. More like average.

Losing their good nickel corner and best edge rusher is going to hurt. Ansah has been done for three years. Reminds me of bringing Joey Porter....just a name.

We'll see. Their other rusher had 10.5 sacks last year. They were 16th in yardage, like 14th in scoring and 14th in DVOA. They were top 10 in offense DVOA.

Weird that you don't like their model when you're hoping the Cards ape it to make the playoffs.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

So true on worst to first thing and those teams seem to fall right back again IMHO but it's fun while it last kinda like the 08 and 09 Cards were

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We'll see. Their other rusher had 10.5 sacks last year. They were 16th in yardage, like 14th in scoring and 14th in DVOA. They were top 10 in offense DVOA.

Weird that you don't like their model when you're hoping the Cards ape it to make the playoffs.
Where did he say he doesn’t like their model?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where did he say he doesn’t like their model?

Right here:

I thought Seattle wasnt going to be a playoff team last year, and they Russell Wilson and running game.

Their defense was average last year and took some hits. Their receiving corps lost production and replaced it with a big, fast guy who runs a three cone like an OT.

Krang and Cbus have been the biggest Seahawk Truthers on this board for at least the last 5 years.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nowhere does he say he doesn’t like their model. Doesn’t even insinuate it.

The Seahawks had nearly unprecedented draft success early in this current regime's run.

Each draft they walked away with 4 good starters and likely 3-4 hall of famers in that group.

Getting a hall of fame QB in round 3 and a hall of fame corner in round 5. Unprecedented. And not something they are going to duplicate again.

Since then 1st round picks have mostly been blah and horrible trades of high picks.

I disliked Wilson for the same reasons people on here dislike Murray, but IMO he might be the MVP every year. His receiving corps and OL are consistently nearly the worst in the league, but he continues to play at a Pro Bowl level.

Would I use their model? No. Roster balance is the smart approach, and the Seahawks might have another Super Bowl victory if they hadn't paid so much for that defense.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The interior triangle of the Rams offensive line is going to be new and not improved for the 2019 season. The Rams' gamble of left tackle on Andrew Withworth paid off big time, but he is 37. I expect the Rams to come back to the pack and to be hearing how the league has caught up to Sean McVay, but it is really that their offensive line is no longer dominant.

Do the Seahawks have enough pieces around Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson to win? They'll be good, but they have just lost too many players and too many coaches to be dominant.

On paper the 49'ers have the best starting elevens on both sides of the ball. But Jimmy G is made of glass and you don't win with their back up quarterbacks.

The Cardinals win the division by having everybody else being mediocre.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Krang isn’t making a prediction. He’s asking, what would have to happen for the cards to win the division. No matter how insane the idea, there’s likely a set of facts in the universe that could see this happening. Like 50% of the Rams starters ending up on IR writhing the first 7 games.
Yep. I know people hate hearing it, for whatever reason...but anything can happen. Any given Sunday. I mean, they made a movie about it..so it has to be legit. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman