PS5

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. I feel dumb. I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why my PS5 only had a 100 Mbps connection because my network sent me a warning about that port performing poor.

Turns out when the PS5 is in low power mode it throttles the connection down to 100 Mbps. As soon as I was in normal mode it was operating at close to 1 Gbps.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of places to conserve energy, but some activities should get the juice!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. I feel dumb. I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why my PS5 only had a 100 Mbps connection because my network sent me a warning about that port performing poor.

Turns out when the PS5 is in low power mode it throttles the connection down to 100 Mbps. As soon as I was in normal mode it was operating at close to 1 Gbps.
It's so weird because network card uses pennies of electricity per year.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so weird because network card uses pennies of electricity per year.
I don't think it's an electricity thing. It's been a while but I do remember a complaint about the old PS4 chewing up a ton of bandwidth when it was idle. Throttling down to 100 Mbps seems like a way to prevent that on the PS5. However, I ran multiple checks and sure enough it does register each time it goes into standby as only 100 Mbps. The second, I go to normal mode? Back to normal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's an electricity thing. It's been a while but I do remember a complaint about the old PS4 chewing up a ton of bandwidth when it was idle. Throttling down to 100 Mbps seems like a way to prevent that on the PS5. However, I ran multiple checks and sure enough it does register each time it goes into standby as only 100 Mbps. The second, I go to normal mode? Back to normal.
I think it is. The EU requires a low power mode for these types of devices.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is. The EU requires a low power mode for these types of devices.
So, just an update. Even in standby if I have a download qued up it will run fill speed. When the download is over it goes back to 100 Mbps. So, I still don't think it's an electricity thing. I remember people complaining about the PS4 chewing up bandwidth while in standby. I never heard anything about it violating any regulations for low power mode. It still runs in low power mode regardless. It throttles your CPU/GPU in standby so that likely meets the low power mode requirements.