Ray Anderson Is Resigning - he's gone !!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if ASU has been notified by the NCAA with their findings and Anderson was told to resign or be fired?
I firmly believe he resigned on his own and the reason I believe that is if you were going to fire him, why would you let him stay on as a professor of practice in the sports law department? Seems to me if you were firing him, you would completely sever the relationship

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I firmly believe he resigned on his own and the reason I believe that is if you were going to fire him, why would you let him stay on as a professor of practice in the sports law department? Seems to me if you were firing him, you would completely sever the relationship
Isn't that what ASU fans want?

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder if he will continue to get most of what he would have been paid as AD (i.e., as one of the highest paid ADs in the country).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't that what ASU fans want?
If he is a good professor, then I have no issue with him staying on to teach and I would find it off if anyone has an issue with him doing this. So, from my perspective, no, I don’t need a complete break in his relationship with ASU.

He wasn’t effective but I believe he wanted the best for the athletic program and he just never got his vision to work. he is gone and am shedding no tears over it but I am also not petty in wanting kick the guy in the nuts while he is down

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if he will continue to get most of what he would have been paid as AD (i.e., as one of the highest paid ADs in the country).
Can’t imagine that would be the case since he resigned vs being fired…which also probably bolstered the idea he wasn’t given an ultimatum.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can’t imagine that would be the case since he resigned vs being fired…which also probably bolstered the idea he wasn’t given an ultimatum.
Makes sense, although the last sentence in this Cronkite piece that I just now read is weird.

Anderson’s contract, which Cronkite News obtained, reveals that compensation will hinge on the definition of his termination.

In the event Anderson terminated his contract “with good reason,” the university is obligated to pay Anderson his salary and performance bonuses earned through the termination date as well as potential liquidated damages, which amount to two times his current salary (at least $950,000). If Anderson resigns without “good reason,” the University will owe Anderson the salary and bonuses earned through the termination date, as well as “any benefit continuation rights as required by law.”

If Anderson had been fired with cause, the university would have owed Anderson the salary and bonuses earned through the termination date, as well as “any benefit continuation rights as required by law,” unless there were NCAA violations, in which case Anderson would owe any “special compensation or performance bonus” paid after the infractions back to ASU.

However, because Anderson will still remain employed by the university, the amount he will receive through the end of his contract remains uncertain.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes sense, although the last sentence in this Cronkite piece that I just now read is weird.

Anderson’s contract, which Cronkite News obtained, reveals that compensation will hinge on the definition of his termination.

In the event Anderson terminated his contract “with good reason,” the university is obligated to pay Anderson his salary and performance bonuses earned through the termination date as well as potential liquidated damages, which amount to two times his current salary (at least $950,000). If Anderson resigns without “good reason,” the University will owe Anderson the salary and bonuses earned through the termination date, as well as “any benefit continuation rights as required by law.”

If Anderson had been fired with cause, the university would have owed Anderson the salary and bonuses earned through the termination date, as well as “any benefit continuation rights as required by law,” unless there were NCAA violations, in which case Anderson would owe any “special compensation or performance bonus” paid after the infractions back to ASU.

However, because Anderson will still remain employed by the university, the amount he will receive through the end of his contract remains uncertain.
Interesting info. You’re right, that last sentence is intriguing in all of this. It looks like everything hinges on the termination date?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Outrageous.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Outrageous, indeed. He was the second highest paid AD in the country... which quite likely now makes him just about the highest paid professor in the country.

I mean I am happy he can't destroy ASU's sports programs any further. But he continues to rob Arizona taxpayers blind.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F Ray Anderson.

On a podcast he blamed the poor hiring of assistant coaches as the biggest issue under his tenure. No way. The blame of a program, right or wrong, when there is a huge recruiting scandal falls on the program's head coach (on up to the AD who hired said coach) and not lower-level assistants. Ray also said he has no regrets on the hiring of Herm Edwards.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
F Ray Anderson.

On a podcast he blamed the poor hiring of assistant coaches as the biggest issue under his tenure. No way. The blame of a program, right or wrong, when there is a huge recruiting scandal falls on the program's head coach (on up to the AD who hired said coach) and not lower-level assistants. Ray also said he has no regrets on the hiring of Herm Edwards.
Delusional as always. Even on his way out he finds a way to anger all of us. The fact that he'll continue to get paid makes me ill.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F Ray Anderson.

On heard that - disgusting. No accountability for him or Herm.

And you can say in this case: fudge Ray Anderson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray Anderson will still get paid salary as when he was the AD.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too late to avoid destruction of the department. It will take a long time to recover from all the harm he did.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sun Devil athletics still floating along with no AD leadership

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings. Better no hire than a bad hire. ASU needs to get hiring a new AD right.
I want the right hire but have you heard anything about candidates or interviews? Not even a rumor so are people asleep at the wheel?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I want the right hire but have you heard anything about candidates or interviews? Not even a rumor so are people asleep at the wheel?
Almost all of the candidates are external.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
UW hired Patrick Chun (who has ties to the Valley, btw) quickly but ASU's search drags on. At this point, I'm hoping ASU is waiting for David Benedict to finish up with UConn in the Final Four in the Valley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison