Shawn Marion not opting out

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
ESPN Reports: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3458244

The second pick in the draft, a healthy superstar in Dwyane Wade and a four-time All-Star in Shawn Marion -- sounds like a solid nucleus. But it's not all smiles for the Miami Heat.

According to a Miami Herald report, Marion has decided not to opt out of the final year of his contract, which was his right. His agent and Heat president Pat Riley could not reach agreement on an extension, however, possibly setting Marion up for a lame duck season.

"I spoke to Shawn again tonight and we've decided that he's not going to opt out," agent Dan Fegan said, according to the newspaper. "It just wasn't in Shawn's best interest. That's all I can really say about it right now."

Marion has been working out in Chicago with Wade, who said he would like the duo to stay together. But he also realizes that Marion's expiring contract could be attractive to teams seeking cap relief.

"We worked out together today," Wade said, according to the Herald. "The main thing is, that's between Fegan and coach Riley. Only thing Shawn can do is let it happen. He can't worry about it too much. We're talking like we're on the team together. We're not talking like it won't happen. Right now, Shawn is a Miami Heat until further notice."

Marion averaged 15.4 points and 10.2 rebounds last season, which was split between the Heat and Phoenix Suns. He came to Miami, along with Marcus Banks, in the Feb. 6 deal that sent Shaquille O'Neal to Phoenix.

Marion enters this season in the last year of a deal that will pay him $17.8 million. The Herald reported that the 30-year-old is seeking a three-year extension at about $13 million per year, while Riley has shown a willingness to pay $10 million per season.

The Heat are expected to take either Kansas State forward Michael Beasley or Memphis guard Derrick Rose with the second pick in Thursday's draft.

Wade, who is recovering from knee and shoulder injuries, was named to the Olympic team on Monday.

Just out of curiosity, would you guys sign Marion to a 3 year 13 per extension for shawn? Marion at 18 million per year is pretty extravagant. Marion at 13 million per year is a lot more attractive.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully the Heat stink it up, Marion gets traded, bought out, and returns home, youknowwhatimsayin??

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shooooooooooocking. ;)

Most reports have him being traded prior to the season starting.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Very good choice. I had no idea what he was thinking with that 3 year/60 million deal.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not opting out of 18 million!

In related news, the sky is blue.

Yea, it was a bluff. Even if he were still a Sun, he wouldnt opt out of that.

For his sake, he had better play like his pants are on fire next season, otherwise, hes not getting squat on the FA market

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm a GM looking at Marion, I'd wonder why he thinks he's worth so much money. With Miami he averaged 14.3 ppg on 45.9% shooting. His assists to turnover rate is an incredibly bad 1.08.

So what makes him so special? I guess it would be his rebounding which is a very good 11.2 rpg with Miami. Very nice, but how does that justify the kind of extension he's been looking for?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Broussard (NBA draft special)fjust reported that Shawn Marion and the #2 pick may be traded to the Clippers for Corey Maggette and the #7 pick.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Broussard (NBA draft special)fjust reported that Shawn Marion and the #2 pick may be traded to the Clippers for Corey Maggette and the #7 pick.

The other popular rumor is Marion going to the Clippers as cap filler on a Beasley for Brand deal.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I'm a GM looking at Marion, I'd wonder why he thinks he's worth so much money. With Miami he averaged 14.3 ppg on 45.9% shooting. His assists to turnover rate is an incredibly bad 1.08.

So what makes him so special? I guess it would be his rebounding which is a very good 11.2 rpg with Miami. Very nice, but how does that justify the kind of extension he's been looking for?
My guess is because of his numbers over the last few years...pretty good all around in points,rebounds,blocks,steals,games played etc...(thank you D'Antoni)
Thing is, IMO he'll never be more than a third option(if that) on a playoff team. His lack of a "go to" game in the slow down sets will forever hurt his value there. Basically you've got a hustle guy that never tires,rarely gets hurt and will excite the fans with his athleticism. I'm a Marion fan but not as a "feature" guy like he believes he is and he thinks he's worth $$$ wise.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is because of his numbers over the last few years...pretty good all around in points,rebounds,blocks,steals,games played etc...(thank you D'Antoni)
Thing is, IMO he'll never be more than a third option(if that) on a playoff team. His lack of a "go to" game in the slow down sets will forever hurt his value there. Basically you've got a hustle guy that never tires,rarely gets hurt and will excite the fans with his athleticism. I'm a Marion fan but not as a "feature" guy like he believes he is and he thinks he's worth $$$ wise.

Most of the ultra high salary guys are go to guys in the half court. Lewis is three point shooter. 226 of 553 for three last season or 40.9% So while Lewiss scores only 18.2 ppg; he is vastly more dangerous in the half court than Marion who averaged only 14.3% in the half court oriented Heat offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1