Shogun (FX | Hulu)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I liked his other books. Tai-Pan would be cool.
I haven't read any of them so I'm not familiar. If it's even better than I'd take it. One of my ideas earlier was to treat each season as a stand alone like Fargo. Then do his other books or stories on other periods in Japan for each season.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This is one of the best mini-series PERIOD.
Totally agree.

Anna Sawai has really surprised me in this show with her acting too. I didn’t think much of her after having just watched Monarch. It almost feels like a different actress. Really shows how much writing and directing affect the performance.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I just subscribed to Hulu just to watch Shogun because of the good reviews on this site and others. I saw the old Shogun and recently reread the book. I hope it is s as good as I hope.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just subscribed to Hulu just to watch Shogun because of the good reviews on this site and others. I saw the old Shogun and recently reread the book. I hope it is s as good as I hope.
Let me know what you think. I think this depiction runs the same general arc as the book, but it does seem different in some scenes to me.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean it’s good…. Not sure about all time great but I’m def enjoying it. My only major complaint is the actor they chose to play the Anjin is pretty awful imo.

But watching Anna Sawai has made up for that.

The scene where Toranaga’s BF commits Seppuku is brutal….

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Totally agree.

Anna Sawai has really surprised me in this show with her acting too. I didn’t think much of her after having just watched Monarch. It almost feels like a different actress. Really shows how much writing and directing affect the performance.
Gah, I didn't even realize that was her in Monarch! The best thing you can say about her in Monarch is that she's hot--that show turned out to not be very good. In Shogun, she is showing a hell of a set of acting chops.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Gah, I didn't even realize that was her in Monarch! The best thing you can say about her in Monarch is that she's hot--that show turned out to not be very good. In Shogun, she is showing a hell of a set of acting chops.
Yeah, I was shocked too. It was after E2 that I caught Mariko's name and was blown away when I realized she was Cate. I really thought she was Generic Young Actress over Monarch but now she's someone to keep an eye on. And even looks wise I think she's better in Shogun. Monarch she was generic whereas I've found her very beautiful in this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
was a bit disappointed with the finale. a bit of a letdown and the flash forward to ancient Blackthorne took away any suspense as to his fate.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
was a bit disappointed with the finale. a bit of a letdown and the flash forward to ancient Blackthorne took away any suspense as to his fate.
I was thinking they did it the way they did so as not to have to spend big bucks on a final battle scene. Parts of this were really good. Overall, I think the book is better.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Was that a flash forward though?
I took it as him imagining a possible future as he was unconscious from the blast. His brain was trying to process Mariko.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I took it as him imagining a possible future as he was unconscious from the blast. His brain was trying to process Mariko.
The book had an ending with Toranaga winning. I know this is different. Just throwing that out there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
but didnt they go to it again about halfway through the show for a quick minute?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
but didnt they go to it again about halfway through the show for a quick minute?
I don't remember that if it happened. I need to rewatch it again.

I just watched the "future" scene to start off the episode and I think it is a dream. In it Anjin is holding Mariko's rosary while laying in bed. He couldn't have had it still if it was a the real future since he used it to laid her to rest when out on the water with Fuji. There was enough focus on her rosary beads throughout the season that I don't think they would have had him holding another set of them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't remember that if it happened. I need to rewatch it again.

I just watched the "future" scene to start off the episode and I think it is a dream. In it Anjin is holding Mariko's rosary while laying in bed. He couldn't have had it still if it was a the real future since he used it to laid her to rest when out on the water with Fuji. There was enough focus on her rosary beads throughout the season that I don't think they would have had him holding another set of them.
All I can say without a spoiler is in the book Toranaga became Shogun. They really did a poor job of explaining what a Shogun was and why it was rare in this series.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why did they so subtly change the historical names while sticking with the real name of the battle--Sekigahara? That was weird to me. Maybe trying to obscure the outcome?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
After thinking about it, after Toda Miriko died, the rest of the episode fell flat. They never established why Anjin-san was special. They just had other characters treat him as an asset, but you never saw why. It wasn't so much the actor, as it was the lack of development of the character. The last episode was so clunky. The whole being back in England part was puzzling at best.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
After thinking about it, after Toda Miriko died, the rest of the episode fell flat. They never established why Anjin-san was special. They just had other characters treat him as an asset, but you never saw why. It wasn't so much the actor, as it was the lack of development of the character. The last episode was so clunky. The whole being back in England part was puzzling at best.
That’s where I’m at. I enjoyed everything up until the last episode. They didn’t stick the landing unfortunately. Still a good series.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard