Something I heard and loved

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When we were calling players to say we were picking them, Bidwill sounded like his usual cornball self. Typically I scroll through him speaking. I was too lazy this year though and heard him repeatedly saying that he was excited to meet these guys. I optimistically took it as he wasn’t allowed in the interviews. If I’m wrong and dreaming, don’t wake me up. I need to bask in the bliss of my ignorance a bit longer. This is a massive step in the right direction. Great job, Monti.

Last edited:

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Why do owners feel they need to talk to the players? Players don’t usually care about the owners. I imagine players just roll their eyes. In interviews, they show more energy/personality when they get to talk to the coaches. Keep owners out!

Last edited:

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry, as someone that has owned a couple of businesses, I’ve always made it a point to get to know my employees. Not a control thing, it’s a love thing, a respect thing.

Pay attention to the players that still talk about the love they have for the Kraft family, the Rooney family, etc.,

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, as someone that has owned a couple of businesses, I’ve always made it a point to get to know my employees. Not a control thing, it’s a love thing, a respect thing.

Pay attention to the players that still talk about the love they have for the Kraft family, the Rooney family, etc.,
I too have owned a business and I too have made it a point to get to know my employees. I did it as an executive as well for another company too.

My point is… the players don’t care and it seems like is just an act. Plus, rumor has it that Mike’s employees hid from him.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I too have owned a business and I too have made it a point to get to know my employees. I did it as an executive as well for another company too.

My point is… the players don’t care and it seems like is just an act. Plus, rumor has it that Mike’s employees hid from him.
That’s fair. Being genuine is not something you can fake. I was just commenting on the fact that as the owner he has the responsibility to at least try. Unfortunately, not everyone actually gives a poo about their people.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score

Easily for them to love the owner and vice-versa when you win multiple Super Bowls together.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I owned a business back in the fifties and was known as a demanding boss. Took on weekend help and let the employees know that, "Being on time was Rule #1". Went on to remind them that people wanted their newspapers there, when they opened their doors. No exceptions, so I tend to side with MB. Most of us executives tend to use initials. Signed, Alex Stanley Short, Esq.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why do owners feel they need to talk to the players?
I think I once read that Bidwill does it (or at least used to) because of his past as a prosecutor. The idea is that he can kind of detect if a player is lying about something.

My own guess is that he does it because he is a plain fan with inside access.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I once read that Bidwill does it (or at least used to) because of his past as a prosecutor. The idea is that he can kind of detect if a player is lying about something.

Yeah. He had the team media tell everyone that there was no need to worry when the team drafted Bustdiche because he was grille by the human lie detector, Mike B.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score

MB as a prosecutor can no more detect people are lying then anyone else.
The book, Talking to Strangers, debunks that myth that people can detect when they are being lied to. Always thought it was pretty arrogant of him. So glad he seems more removed from the team. Sorry if I missed it, but did he pick up the 1st round players in his private jet this year? If not it seems to suggest he maybe less involved.....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The book, Talking to Strangers, debunks that myth that people can detect when they are being lied to. Always thought it was pretty arrogant of him. So glad he seems more removed from the team. Sorry if I missed it, but did he pick up the 1st round players in his private jet this year? If not it seems to suggest he maybe less involved.....

The private jet did pick up the first rounders but as to whether he was the pilot or not, not sure. I am sure, like a lot of wealthy private jet owners, they have a service they use to provide crew at times (even though he is a pilot himself).

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I can tell when someone is lying, their face tells you if you know what to look for.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, they even made a show about it, "Lie to me", I think. Pretty good show. I enjoyed it. Now, back to football discussions. :)