Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think our team could win a title, but the pieces around the big three need to be changed and/or utilized differently.

Number one need is an assistant coach/head coach that knows offense. We need to revamp our whole strategy and philosophy on offense. We left a lot of points on the table each and every game. It's obvious when we have motion on our sets we score and score big. It's also obvious when we go ISO hold the ball, we score way less.

I think Beal needs to come off the bench for starters. He can be in there at the end of the games. Coming off the bench helps our bench scoring, and decreases the advantage other teams have over us in this area.

Nurk is serviceable and provides great rebounding ability. However, We have no rim protector. That's a need. Even if it's just a guy that is his only trait. We give up way too many layups! I thought Eubanks could be that guy, but obviously no one in the NBA is afraid to go into the paint on him. What's funny, is even though he can be bully balled, the only guy we have that instills any fear of a shot getting blocked is Bol Bol. He can play alongside Nurk, but he can't be a back up center. Bol just doesn't have the bulk for that. Bol has had some highlight defensive plays for us, but we refuse to give him solid rotation minutes. Why? Even if it's just 10-15 minutes each game. Bol has proven he is an asset when he's on the floor.

We need Allen to continue shooting the ball, but obviously we need to get some screens and other plays to get him open way more on offense. See point one.

The second unit needs to be much better. If that is Beal, Oneal, Thad Young, and some new pieces, we need a second unit that is actually a unit. Right now we have one of the worst second teams in the league. How many times do we get outscored by opposing benches? Seems like every game. This needs to be essentially a second team. If we use Okogie and go defensive with this unit, using the pieces we have, this unit needs to have an identity and know why they are on the floor. Too often Vogel is just subbing guys out there to see what sticks. No one plays together enough on our bench to form a feel for each other.

James Jones is blind to the PG fact. We are one of the top turn over teams in the league. When we have a good night with low turn overs we win! It's really obvious how that stat tracks our success in games. Who do we take off the floor? I say Beal. See point two. We need a set up guy. Someone that can penetrate and score, or get to places on the floor like CP3 and put pressure on the defense to stop them. That will lead to more open looks for Booker and KD. More for Beal if/when a PG plays with Beal. Beal is used to playing Bookers role. We essentially need TWO PGs. One for the first team and one for the second unit.

That's my plan for not blowing up the Suns, and making it work. A lot of this is on coaching, and the GM getting the right 2-3 guys for us.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing it. Booker, KD, Beal is not a match I see going anywhere. Who's driving the bus? We got swept in the first round. We need to replace a lot of players with very limited funds, and we need a new coach that gets a fire going in these bums chilling on the beach.

"Bums" is pretty harsh, but we got swept in the first round.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think our team could win a title, but the pieces around the big three need to be changed and/or utilized differently.

Number one need is an assistant coach/head coach that knows offense. We need to revamp our whole strategy and philosophy on offense. We left a lot of points on the table each and every game. It's obvious when we have motion on our sets we score and score big. It's also obvious when we go ISO hold the ball, we score way less.

I think Beal needs to come off the bench for starters. He can be in there at the end of the games. Coming off the bench helps our bench scoring, and decreases the advantage other teams have over us in this area.

Nurk is serviceable and provides great rebounding ability. However, We have no rim protector. That's a need. Even if it's just a guy that is his only trait. We give up way too many layups! I thought Eubanks could be that guy, but obviously no one in the NBA is afraid to go into the paint on him. What's funny, is even though he can be bully balled, the only guy we have that instills any fear of a shot getting blocked is Bol Bol. He can play alongside Nurk, but he can't be a back up center. Bol just doesn't have the bulk for that. Bol has had some highlight defensive plays for us, but we refuse to give him solid rotation minutes. Why? Even if it's just 10-15 minutes each game. Bol has proven he is an asset when he's on the floor.

We need Allen to continue shooting the ball, but obviously we need to get some screens and other plays to get him open way more on offense. See point one.

The second unit needs to be much better. If that is Beal, Oneal, Thad Young, and some new pieces, we need a second unit that is actually a unit. Right now we have one of the worst second teams in the league. How many times do we get outscored by opposing benches? Seems like every game. This needs to be essentially a second team. If we use Okogie and go defensive with this unit, using the pieces we have, this unit needs to have an identity and know why they are on the floor. Too often Vogel is just subbing guys out there to see what sticks. No one plays together enough on our bench to form a feel for each other.

James Jones is blind to the PG fact. We are one of the top turn over teams in the league. When we have a good night with low turn overs we win! It's really obvious how that stat tracks our success in games. Who do we take off the floor? I say Beal. See point two. We need a set up guy. Someone that can penetrate and score, or get to places on the floor like CP3 and put pressure on the defense to stop them. That will lead to more open looks for Booker and KD. More for Beal if/when a PG plays with Beal. Beal is used to playing Bookers role. We essentially need TWO PGs. One for the first team and one for the second unit.

That's my plan for not blowing up the Suns, and making it work. A lot of this is on coaching, and the GM getting the right 2-3 guys for us.
Bol doesn’t play because when he’s not making those highlight reel defensive plays he’s not paying attention on defense at all. I was baffled by his lack of play too so I started keying in on him. He wanders mentally and is constantly losing his man on defense which compromises the entire defense. I was shocked how consistent this problem was when I started keying on him. Can’t get on the floor if that’s your modis operandi.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This started crazy saying we could win a title and then you double down repeatedly.

Beal is not coming off the bench, nor should he. He was the only one of the big 3 who tweaked his game to play off of the other guys and did so well. He not only took on PG duties but often drew the toughest defensive assignment in addition to that. That makes me think he's the only one of the big 3 who was willing to lead. He also accepted accountability and spoke up when things weren't working and wasn't "chillin" at any point.

Grayson needs to come off the bench. He'd make a good Sixth Man. He can come in and spell Booker or Beal when they need a breather. Working in their place and keeping the offense humming. He won't be as much as a defensive liability if he's not starting and playing 35-40 minutes a night also.

We need a defined system, not a first team and second team. We'll see our stars miss too many games to make a team A and team B to run teams off the court. Rarely does that sort of two squad system work in the NBA. We don't have the resources to build a second team. We need to try and add guys who can play 15-20 minutes a night and produce in that time. We need a PG, PF, and C all to come off the bench. I can see one of the spots filled on draft night but then we'll need to have KD and Booker calling in favors and recruiting some guys because we don't have any other option. Money isn't there and neither is the idea we're a title favorite. It's going to be hard to convince guys who can make a difference to sign for the minimum. Our stars need to step up and promise they'll push harder this year and that Phoenix is a place to be.

Even if that all works out, we'll still need to resign Okogie and O'Neale. We'll still need a PG, PF, and C to come off the bench. If Little or Roddy is dealt for someone that's only one spot filled and we need more than one PG and C. There's a lot to do and not a lot to do it with. We're likely headed towards more frustration given the press conference and James Jones loving the stink of this club.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
This started crazy saying we could win a title and then you double down repeatedly.

Beal is not coming off the bench, nor should he. He was the only one of the big 3 who tweaked his game to play off of the other guys and did so well. He not only took on PG duties but often drew the toughest defensive assignment in addition to that. That makes me think he's the only one of the big 3 who was willing to lead. He also accepted accountability and spoke up when things weren't working and wasn't "chillin" at any point.

Grayson needs to come off the bench. He'd make a good Sixth Man. He can come in and spell Booker or Beal when they need a breather. Working in their place and keeping the offense humming. He won't be as much as a defensive liability if he's not starting and playing 35-40 minutes a night also.

We need a defined system, not a first team and second team. We'll see our stars miss too many games to make a team A and team B to run teams off the court. Rarely does that sort of two squad system work in the NBA. We don't have the resources to build a second team. We need to try and add guys who can play 15-20 minutes a night and produce in that time. We need a PG, PF, and C all to come off the bench. I can see one of the spots filled on draft night but then we'll need to have KD and Booker calling in favors and recruiting some guys because we don't have any other option. Money isn't there and neither is the idea we're a title favorite. It's going to be hard to convince guys who can make a difference to sign for the minimum. Our stars need to step up and promise they'll push harder this year and that Phoenix is a place to be.

Even if that all works out, we'll still need to resign Okogie and O'Neale. We'll still need a PG, PF, and C to come off the bench. If Little or Roddy is dealt for someone that's only one spot filled and we need more than one PG and C. There's a lot to do and not a lot to do it with. We're likely headed towards more frustration given the press conference and James Jones loving the stink of this club.
Fully agree!
Vogel's idea was to trust the scoring power of big-3 and Allen with a ultra short rotation, which ran big-3 into ground and made Allen second guessing himself after missing a couple 3pt shots. It's a youth and athleticism game particularly in the POs. We need have fresh legs and tight defense through the whole game.

So, assuming we roll back the same core and do only minor twisting of roster, the first thing to do is to make Allen the 6th man to take away must-score pressure off him, which in turn may make him even better player. Reduce big-3's court time to no more than 35min each, to keep their legs fresh in the 4th and in the POs in particular.

Start RO/JO in place of Allen to take on the opponents' best perimeter player whether it's Ant, Doncic, Brunson, Murray; Little/Roddy might do as well for that role. This also forces us to expand offensive plans to optimally utilize an athletic defensive guy without a reliable 3pt shot. Optimally we add a tall and strong guy in the form of Hachimura to start next to KD. Our big-3 should be able to play great D but not wasting too much energy on that too early, like Beal was made to in the Min series.

As to PG, with limited cap situation we can only be opportunistic and see whether PC3, Lowry would come for min., or maybe trade Little's contract + some min ones to get Vincent or something like that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bol doesn’t play because when he’s not making those highlight reel defensive plays he’s not paying attention on defense at all. I was baffled by his lack of play too so I started keying in on him. He wanders mentally and is constantly losing his man on defense which compromises the entire defense. I was shocked how consistent this problem was when I started keying on him. Can’t get on the floor if that’s your modis operandi.

Agreed. It’s especially bad when he’s asked to play the 4. He seemingly has no idea where he is supposed to be.

When he plays it should be as the 5. Simplify his role on D and don’t give him chances to go on crazy dribbling adventures on the wing.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I can totally see your opinion. There's no one answer to solve a problem, except staying the way you know didn't work.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
the suns do need a point guard... as their next head coach - someone who understands the position and what we're missing - someone who can appreciate bringing the ball up safely and in a timely manner - one who i imagine would utilize grayson and nurk more as facilitators at the top of the key allowing movement and rolls for our big 3 - everyone knows i don't think our starting line up will change on bit but i still contend coaching was a big part of our problems

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think this is absolutely ludicrous on every level.

#1 The "Big 3" never looked like a big 3 at the same time in the same game and all 3 appear to have regressed last season. There is no reason to believe this will change.
#2 We cannot improve our bench barring a miracle. Last year before the season started we had the illusion going for us that we were going to be a top team, this gave us the pick of the litter for min level players. We no longer in any way shape or form have that - now players know this team sucks and lacks any ability to improve.
#3 We no longer have any assets to make a trade outside the big 3, we used the last of them up getting Royce
#4 Ishbia has clearly shown he is in complete denial about everything. He said the Suns as constructed were a top 5 roster. You cannot fix a problem if you even refuse to acknowledge it's existence.
#5 KD is only getting older and more ineffective every year, we will get a worse version this coming season.
#6 Nurkic is a disaster offensively with his inability to finish, shoot free throws, or shoot 3's. He is not movable for a better center because we have no other assets to combine with him due to the second apron so we are stuck.
#7 The west is only getting better - Ant is only going to improve, OKC's young roster is only going to improve, Zion showed signs of massive improvement, Wemby and the Spurs are coming on, Houston is coming on. The Suns players are decaying and they don't have a single player likely to improve in any meaningful way.
#8 BOL is almost surely gone - you are living in la la land if you think some team won't offer him more than the minimum. He is a young guy who needs to make money, as he never has yet in his career.
#9 There is at least a 50/50 chance Royce wants out too. If he wants to win there are better places to go.
#10 Beal, KD, and Nurk all have terrible injury histories and are all more likely to suffer major injuries which cause them to miss more time next season. KD and Nurk being so injury free for a whole season was a fluke in other words.

The only way I can see this team get better - and everyone should know I despise saying this because I hate the man - is to get Lebron to sign with the Suns.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the suns do need a point guard... as their next head coach - someone who understands the position and what we're missing - someone who can appreciate bringing the ball up safely and in a timely manner - one who i imagine would utilize grayson and nurk more as facilitators at the top of the key allowing movement and rolls for our big 3 - everyone knows i don't think our starting line up will change on bit but i still contend coaching was a big part of our problems
No they don't.

How many turnovers did the Suns suffer bringing up the ball across half court - very very few. That is the only thing a PG would do for us. The offense would still run through the big 3 none of which are great about not turning the ball over, especially KD who is terrible at it. Add in another turnover machine in Nurk - and it is pure made up fairy tale fiction to believe a PG will make any real difference.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No they don't.

How many turnovers did the Suns suffer bringing up the ball across half court - very very few. That is the only thing a PG would do for us. The offense would still run through the big 3 none of which are great about not turning the ball over, especially KD who is terrible at it. Add in another turnover machine in Nurk - and it is pure made up fairy tale fiction to believe a PG will make any real difference.
It's all about initiating. Most of KD's turnovers and all of Nurk's are about them trying to initiate things. A PG would absolutely help that.

But I still think the Coach is most at fault. How many cross-court passes did we throw that got intercepted? I lost count early in the season -- who is telling these PROFESSIONAL basketball players -- hey, you probably shouldn't make cross-court passes??

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they don't.

Yes they do. It's not just about turnovers bringing up the ball. How many times did we see teams put pressure on the ball handler bringing the ball up which shaves time off the shot clock? The offense then is forced to work later in the shot clock. We had seen that all season long. Not to mention there was zero consistency on who was setting up the plays which led to confusion and a TON of bad passing. Vogel finally admitted the team wasn't a good passing team. Well that happens when you have guys not used to setting up plays setting up all the plays.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
i don't remember exactly when or why - i think book had just gotten injured but i do recall grayson coming out and dropping like 14 dimes in one sitting WITH ZERO TURNOVERS

and vogel's punk ass never went back to it - we won that game by 15 points

kd (31) and beal (30) combined for 61 points

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's all about initiating. Most of KD's turnovers and all of Nurk's are about them trying to initiate things. A PG would absolutely help that.

But I still think the Coach is most at fault. How many cross-court passes did we throw that got intercepted? I lost count early in the season -- who is telling these PROFESSIONAL basketball players -- hey, you probably shouldn't make cross-court passes??
Coaching is a part of it. But what point guards are out there initiating offense right now?

PG's aren't driving and kicking anymore for the most part. The game has changed, it's about passing it around the perimeter - somebody penetrating or throwing it inside or cutters getting a pass. There are very few point guards initiating offense anymore - Stars initiate offense. Tatum initiates, Shai initiates, Jokic initiates, Ant initiates.

Our stars will continue to be the ones initiating, and unfortunately they aren't very good at it - especially KD who can hardly drive around anyone anymore.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes they do. It's not just about turnovers bringing up the ball. How many times did we see teams put pressure on the ball handler bringing the ball up which shaves time off the shot clock? The offense then is forced to work later in the shot clock. We had seen that all season long. Not to mention there was zero consistency on who was setting up the plays which led to confusion and a TON of bad passing. Vogel finally admitted the team wasn't a good passing team. Well that happens when you have guys not used to setting up plays setting up all the plays.
We end up late in the shot clock because we spend half the clock trying to get it to KD or Book to isolate and the defense knows that is exactly what we are doing.

Nearly every other team in the league passes it around, moves without the ball and tries to get the defense out of position to get an open shot. The Suns are playing 90's basketball in the 3 point era - it doesn't work.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaching is a part of it. But what point guards are out there initiating offense right now?

PG's aren't driving and kicking anymore for the most part. The game has changed, it's about passing it around the perimeter - somebody penetrating or throwing it inside or cutters getting a pass. There are very few point guards initiating offense anymore - Stars initiate offense. Tatum initiates, Shai initiates, Jokic initiates, Ant initiates.

Our stars will continue to be the ones initiating, and unfortunately they aren't very good at it - especially KD who can hardly drive around anyone anymore.

IMO, point guards now are more about getting the players in their sets, running the right play, controlling tempo and setting pace.

More so today, their job is to stabilize the team. Some teams can do a good job without a point guard. Some can't.

It appears the Suns are a team that could use one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, point guards now are more about getting the players in their sets, running the right play, controlling tempo and setting pace.

More so today, their job is to stabilize the team. Some teams can do a good job without a point guard. Some can't.

It appears the Suns are a team that could use one.

I have heard if we just had Mike Conley - Mike Conley is nothing more than a glorified spot up shooter - he does not initiate offense at all. He doesn't even touch the ball on half the Twolves possessions.

I swear I really think this PG obsession of Phoenix fans just goes back to the Suns almost always having a top PG in their history. Just because we don't have one now people simplistically seem to think that is the cause of our problems - IT ISN'T.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard if we just had Mike Conley - Mike Conley is nothing more than a glorified spot up shooter - he does not initiate offense at all. He doesn't even touch the ball on half the Twolves possessions.

I swear I really think this PG obsession of Phoenix fans just goes back to the Suns almost always having a top PG in their history. Just because we don't have one now people simplistically seem to think that is the cause of our problems - IT ISN'T.

I watched Mike Conley in game 4 carefully against the Suns. He was shooting terrible earlier in the game.

Yet there he was at the end of the game, hitting big shots and controlling the game for the Timberwolves.

The Suns could have certainly used this type of point guard when their game went flat.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We end up late in the shot clock because we spend half the clock trying to get it to KD or Book to isolate and the defense knows that is exactly what we are doing.

Nearly every other team in the league passes it around, moves without the ball and tries to get the defense out of position to get an open shot. The Suns are playing 90's basketball in the 3 point era - it doesn't work.
Yes, because we don't have a floor general out there dictating the plays. It's either we are getting pressured early because they know we don't have a point guard or we spend time trying to figure out the "hot potato" (you going to go or am I scenario). That doesn't happen with a PG.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, because we don't have a floor general out there dictating the plays. It's either we are getting pressured early because they know we don't have a point guard or we spend time trying to figure out the "hot potato" (you going to go or am I scenario). That doesn't happen with a PG.

It’s so bizarre to me that someone can rightfully and repeatedly blame our misfortunes on turnovers and how awful our “playmakers” are and at the same time, believe that not having a single point guard on the roster isn’t a major factor, while mocking anyone who does.

Just seems like someone who can’t admit they’re wrong.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s so bizarre to me that someone can rightfully and repeatedly blame our misfortunes on turnovers and how awful our “playmakers” are and at the same time, believing that not having a single point guard on the roster isn’t a major factor in why those turnovers were so prevalent.

Just seems like someone who can’t admit they’re wrong.
This truly was the season of the "hot potato offense". Beal, KD and Book constantly looking at each other each trip...............

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. It’s especially bad when he’s asked to play the 4. He seemingly has no idea where he is supposed to be.

When he plays it should be as the 5. Simplify his role on D and don’t give him chances to go on crazy dribbling adventures on the wing.
I don’t have a problem with how he was deployed offensively. He was a catch and shoot corner three guy who could drive in a limited fashion on close outs. I actually like how he was used offensively. It limited him to a game within his skillset. It was the defensive mental meandering that was frustrating.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
While getting a good PG would be beneficial, how are you going to get one that can pass and play defense. We are already weak on defense. We are already undersized and under-athletic-ed at almost every defensive position. Yeah, a good PG will help our offense but at the expense of defense. But with a vet-minimum, who are you going to get?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort