Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While getting a good PG would be beneficial, how are you going to get one that can pass and play defense. We are already weak on defense. We are already undersized and under-athletic-ed at almost every defensive position. Yeah, a good PG will help our offense but at the expense of defense. But with a vet-minimum, who are you going to get?

Here is a list of some 2024 free agent point guards, some that might be signed for the veteran minimum.

How ironic if the Suns pursued Cam Payne.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No they don't.

How many turnovers did the Suns suffer bringing up the ball across half court - very very few. That is the only thing a PG would do for us. The offense would still run through the big 3 none of which are great about not turning the ball over, especially KD who is terrible at it. Add in another turnover machine in Nurk - and it is pure made up fairy tale fiction to believe a PG will make any real difference.
This is just completely wrong, I'm questioning now if you even know basketball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While getting a good PG would be beneficial, how are you going to get one that can pass and play defense. We are already weak on defense. We are already undersized and under-athletic-ed at almost every defensive position. Yeah, a good PG will help our offense but at the expense of defense. But with a vet-minimum, who are you going to get?
THere are hardly any Point guards that can play defense, let alone ones that are easily obtainable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just listening to PHNX and Flex says they are now leaning towards bringing back Frank but replacing some of his staff.

If that's true, our front office doesn't have an F'ing clue what they are doing.

You don't fire the staff of the coach on the hot seat and pick the replacements for assistants for him and expect that to work. That is basically saying we think you f'd up with your staff, but we are keeping you to be a scapegoat.

You either bring back the whole staff or fire the whole staff - that is the only way it can work.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just completely wrong, I'm questioning now if you even know basketball.
I am talking about today's NBA - not your memories of Suns teams from years gone by. Those point guards don't exist anymore - and even if there are a couple that exist this teams ability to get one with no ability to trade and only a 22nd pick or a minimum free agent contract are practically ZERO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
word and we've struggled to bring the ball up since cp3 was washed up - but last year was even worse
Struggled? If you mean it's not happening as fast as it should, I would agree. I suppose a better ball handler could get us an extra second or two of shot clock time - but at the expense of having to move Beal to the bench.

This point guard we get will not be good enough to offset the advantage Beal gives us on offense. Heck Saben Lee can mostly do that job - but I seriously doubt anybody really thinks the team would be better if he took a bunch of Beals minutes.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Struggled? If you mean it's not happening as fast as it should, I would agree. I suppose a better ball handler could get us an extra second or two of shot clock time - but at the expense of having to move Beal to the bench.

This point guard we get will not be good enough to offset the advantage Beal gives us on offense. Heck Saben Lee can mostly do that job - but I seriously doubt anybody really thinks the team would be better if he took a bunch of Beals minutes.
im with you - in the aspect that we're not bringing any pg in to start - not even sure we can find one who'll get many minutes on this team

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just listening to PHNX and Flex says they are now leaning towards bringing back Frank but replacing some of his staff.

If that's true, our front office doesn't have an F'ing clue what they are doing.

You don't fire the staff of the coach on the hot seat and pick the replacements for assistants for him and expect that to work. That is basically saying we think you f'd up with your staff, but we are keeping you to be a scapegoat.

You either bring back the whole staff or fire the whole staff - that is the only way it can work.
If they are truly just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, I'd put good money on KD demanding Vogel's fired by the end of week 2 of the regular season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly the sooner it all implodes the better for the future of the team

If we can move off Durant and get real value, I'd be all about it.

But we can't do a full tear down. Our next 7 seasons would be the bleakest stretch that any franchise has probably ever endured. Year after year of teams drafting in the top 5 with our pick.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If we can move off Durant and get real value, I'd be all about it.

But we can't do a full tear down. Our next 7 seasons would be the bleakest stretch that any franchise has probably ever endured. Year after year of teams drafting in the top 5 with our pick.
But it’s probably what we get for following this team

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beal likely doesn't go to the bench. It's likely Grayson. Also, we had minutes every game going to bench players who didn't produce. There would still be enough minutes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched Mike Conley in game 4 carefully against the Suns. He was shooting terrible earlier in the game.

Yet there he was at the end of the game, hitting big shots and controlling the game for the Timberwolves.

The Suns could have certainly used this type of point guard when their game went flat.
What does that have to with him initiating offense?

Yea I agree he is a damn good spot up shooter.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beal likely doesn't go to the bench. It's likely Grayson. Also, we had minutes every game going to bench players who didn't produce. There would still be enough minutes.
Better be a tall pg because we are already undersized.

Lebron would work.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. We also need a bigger wing or PF. This team just doesn't have one need.
Yeah no kidding. Which is why I said KD has to go.

It’s impossible to fill those needs with no trade assets and being above the second apron.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Replacing Allen or Beal with a "minimum" PG isn't the answer. It may help some, but we need a PG who is good enough to offset the loss in production from Allen or Beal. Someone who can lead the team on a deep playoff run.

Just as important is the need to get bigger tougher and more athletic. We were completely overmatched by the wolves. A minimum quality PG would have made no difference in the outcome of that series.

We are stuck in a corner with few to no options. The plan as I see it; run it back with the same players, lure in whoever you can on minimum deals, change the coach and scheme, if it doesn't work blow the whole thing up and start from scratch.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding. Which is why I said KD has to go.

It’s impossible to fill those needs with no trade assets and being above the second apron.
You think we are going to get anything of value for KD? Maybe. There might be some team going in a different direction and willing to give up playable assets but KD isn't going anywhere unless it's somewhere he agrees to go which complicates things. I think we are stuck rolling the dice that a couple guys we need falls through the gaps or ends up getting released.