Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
It's more about the game concept. With NBA allowing a lot more physicality now, add an athletic PF may have priority, to make defense better overall.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You think we are going to get anything of value for KD? Maybe. There might be some team going in a different direction and willing to give up playable assets but KD isn't going anywhere unless it's somewhere he agrees to go which complicates things. I think we are stuck rolling the dice that a couple guys we need falls through the gaps or ends up getting released.

Teams will definitely be interested in KD if he’s not untouchable. Coming off playing 79 games this year his value will never be higher. They won’t get Mikal and four 1sts but something in the concept of picks and a stop gap type contract to match.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing has to happen, both can't be brough back entirely, expecting different results with the same coaching staff and roster is approaching the definition of insanity.

Either Frank and his staff stay, with Young now moving on, Frank hires his offensive guy. The FO now shifts the blame to the coaching staff for this upcoming season.

Or, we make some roster changes. Earlier I was just thinking out loud about the BB for BI deal, I've posted a one for a KD trade, just spit ballin. But imo, one of those two have to go at minimum. It just did not work, we can make all the excuses we want whether its injuries, not enough games played together, etc...but we all saw just how awful they all played together. The chemistry just wasn't there and I don't think it can be improved if everyone just simply plays with each other more this season with the same roster and coaching staff.

Re-vamped roster with same staff, the FO shifts blame to everyone but them, again.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Getting rid of KD has to be the most asinine thought. He's not a freaking PG and played totally out of his position and not to his strengths....annnnnd he still had a kickass year. Ain't no draft picks gonna replace him. You trade him just to say hey we got 2 more 1st round picks...we will be lucky to sniff the playoffs. Come on man

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Getting rid of KD has to be the most asinine thought. He's not a freaking PG and played totally out of his position and not to his strengths....annnnnd he still had a kickass year. Ain't no draft picks gonna replace him. You trade him just to say hey we got 2 more 1st round picks...we will be lucky to sniff the playoffs. Come on man
KD himself said that he didn't like playing as the everyday PF in our lineup. And he STILL had a great year, even with all his faults.

If KD is staying, and I think he is, then we're going to be looking at a big man that can start at the 4. Not sure who that can be, but if we want to continue forward with KD on the roster, they have to address that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You think we are going to get anything of value for KD? Maybe. There might be some team going in a different direction and willing to give up playable assets but KD isn't going anywhere unless it's somewhere he agrees to go which complicates things. I think we are stuck rolling the dice that a couple guys we need falls through the gaps or ends up getting released.
I honestly almost don't care what we get. I literally think just getting cap relief probably makes this team better because we could then conceivably have a team full of real NBA players.

But I think a trade of Kuminga and Wiggins for KD makes sense for everyone and should be realistic considering GS desire to keep the team relevant for Steph and their longing for Nostalgia.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's 37. Do you not understand what that means - it means there is a 90% chance his game is going to fall off a cliff very soon. He already can't create his own shot, and he is still very injury prone.
Putting all that aside our forcing the ball to him for mid range shots is just not a recipe for good team offense.

You could be right we may not sniff the playoffs, but at least the team should be watchable and we will have some hope for the future. That team from last season will NEVER win anything.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Watching KD go iso, stall everything and everyone, just not good basketball. Prime KD sure, i think prime KD gets us over the wolves. Not this KD, we do not need to let him "hoop" as he wants to. KD should not be the system.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER - Even after the Suns announce something, Flex will still continue being a dork.
Flex's favorite move is...well things change when something he says doesn't happen.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Current coaching staff is Vogel's staff, he chose everyone except Young. If he stays, who makes the coaching staff decisions this time?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the Burns and Gambo show they played a cut where a reporter was saying that in some circles, they think the Suns should resign Royce to a large enough contract then trade him for two pieces. They were throwing out 40 million (2 years). It's a way the Suns could circumvent the situation they are in. That would be enough to bring in two quality players (PG/Wing or PG/PF). I hadn't thought about that. There probably will be teams looking for an expiring contract in 2 years time to get salary off their books. Not sure who would fit that bill to make a trade but if it's legal? I guess you have to consider it?!?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the Burns and Gambo show they played a cut where a reporter was saying that in some circles, they think the Suns should resign Royce to a large enough contract then trade him for two pieces. They were throwing out 40 million (2 years). It's a way the Suns could circumvent the situation they are in. That would be enough to bring in two quality players (PG/Wing or PG/PF). I hadn't thought about that. There probably will be teams looking for an expiring contract in 2 years time to get salary off their books. Not sure who would fit that bill to make a trade but if it's legal? I guess you have to consider it?!?
I don't think this is realistic. Teams don't want overpaid players on 2 year deals, if they are trading for an overpriced player it needs to be an expiring, otherwise the only thing you can trade for is other overpaid players with longer contracts.

Royce is an 8th man with no upside on most teams, people thinking like that kind of player being traded can solve our problems shows desperation.

It's not time to quadruple down on a losing hand, it's time to fold and re deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is realistic. Teams don't want overpaid players on 2 year deals, if they are trading for an overpriced player it needs to be an expiring, otherwise the only thing you can trade for is other overpaid players with longer contracts.

Royce is an 8th man with no upside on most teams, people thinking like that kind of player being traded can solve our problems shows desperation.

It's not time to quadruple down on a losing hand, it's time to fold and re deal.
I don't agree. We have seen teams take on contracts they don't like knowing that it will expire and clear cap space. It might be a number of limited teams or scenarios but it it one more option they could at least explore. My guess is they wouldn't do that anyway unless they have a legit trade partner who is looking for said cap space (expiring contracts).

This seems like a Matt Ishbia move too to get around the 2nd Apron and our limited options.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree. We have seen teams take on contracts they don't like knowing that it will expire and clear cap space. It might be a number of limited teams or scenarios but it it one more option they could at least explore. My guess is they wouldn't do that anyway unless they have a legit trade partner who is looking for said cap space (expiring contracts).

This seems like a Matt Ishbia move too to get around the 2nd Apron and our limited options.
It’s not getting around it, it’s making the problem worse.

IMO we should just let Royce walk.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not getting around it, it’s making the problem worse.

IMO we should just let Royce walk.
How is letting Royce walk not also making the problem worse? Letting him walk won't improve anything.

Besides, I am running with the assumption we are running it back. If you think we are trading guys keep dreaming. It's not happening (short of Durant demanding a trade). So, this scenario by that reporter was assuming that the Suns were going to try again next season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see anyone talking about this, but this seems like pretty big news to me

Ocho is not saying this offhand, KD wants it known he is not happy and would be fine with a trade to Miami.

This is good news, the problem is Miami has a garbage roster and the return we would get would not be good, but the very fact he wants this mentioned suggests we may yet get him traded this offseason.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is letting Royce walk not also making the problem worse? Letting him walk won't improve anything.

Besides, I am running with the assumption we are running it back. If you think we are trading guys keep dreaming. It's not happening (short of Durant demanding a trade). So, this scenario by that reporter was assuming that the Suns were going to try again next season.
I am running with the assumption running it back is completely unacceptable.

I don't really like Royce's game that much, and I really don't feel like overpaying him, especially when we have guys like Roddy and Little under contract who might be able to do as good a job and potentially have some upside.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running with the assumption running it back is completely unacceptable.

I don't really like Royce's game that much, and I really don't feel like overpaying him, especially when we have guys like Roddy and Little under contract who might be able to do as good a job and potentially have some upside.
That's fine but the reporter wasn't basing that scenario off of your opinion. He was coming up with a scenario that would allow the Suns a possible move should they run it back. Besides, if you let Royce walk now you are back to the "I hope someone better becomes available" scenario. I would like to see him back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't see anyone talking about this, but this seems like pretty big news to me

Ocho is not saying this offhand, KD wants it known he is not happy and would be fine with a trade to Miami.

This is good news, the problem is Miami has a garbage roster and the return we would get would not be good, but the very fact he wants this mentioned suggests we may yet get him traded this offseason.
Wow, I guess someone is using their "Jump to Conclusions Mat" today. Context matters and there is nothing that supports the theory that KD wants out and wants to go to Miami. Him saying he doesn't mind going there if it makes sense is not a trade demand.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because it's not. Someone asked him a hypothetical. Why as a player would you respond with "no I am never going to go there?!!?". That would be dumb. Now if he says he wants to be traded or says I want out now that is a big news. Could there be something to this? Maybe but based on Kevin's past when he wants out or to go somewhere when has he EVER been indirect like that?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

P.S. 98.7 already talked about it this afternoon and came to the same conclusion it's not a big deal the way he answered it.