Suns @ Lakers 12-9-16 on ESPN

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns visit the Lakers tonight with a 8:30 p.m. Arizona start time. They could use a win against the injured Lakers who have lost four in a row.

Here are where the Suns stand at this point in time.

The 6-16 Suns start is the franchise’s worst at this point of the season since the 1985-86 team also was 6-16. The Suns have not made the playoffs since 2010 and no players feel that more than Bledsoe, in his fourth Suns season, and P.J. Tucker, in his fifth Suns season.

They refuse to relinquish playoff hopes, looking at the Western Conference standings and seeing that they are five games out of eighth place. They could use a win Friday night against the injury-ravaged, skidding Los Angeles Lakers, but they really get consecutive wins.

“We definitely need to string a couple of wins together,” Bledsoe said. “We’re not that far out of the playoffs, even though it might look like it.

Here are the starting lineups:

C: Tyson Chandler … Timofey Mozgov

PF: Marquese Chriss …. Julius Randle

SF: P.J. Tucker … Luol Deng

SG: Devin Booker … Jordan Clarkson

PG: Eric Bledsoe … Marcelo Huertas

Key Lakers reserves: Lou Williams, Brandon Ingram, Larry Nance Jr., Thomas Robinson.

Key Lakers injuries: D’Angelo Russell (sore left knee), Nick Young (left calf strain), Jose Calderon (right hamstring strain) and Tarik Black (right ankle sprain) are out.

Information taken from a Paul Coro article at azcentral dated 12-9-16.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ime-suns-long-win-keep-playoff-hope/95216084/

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
8:30 start time, in LA, on national TV. I'm guessing Swaggy P is gonna be doin a lot of dancin!

The Suns Suck. And the worst part is watching all these other teams that started rebuilding at the same time kick their butts night after night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8:30 start time, in LA, on national TV. I'm guessing Swaggy P is gonna be doin a lot of dancin!

The Suns Suck. And the worst part is watching all these other teams that started rebuilding at the same time kick their butts night after night.

It seems like the Suns do not have a particular style of play they can hang their hat on whether it be on offense or defense. Sometimes they look like a summer league team. I keep hoping the the team will find an identity.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Suns don't have a single player that can shoot.

from phone

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
LB is awesome. You know what you're getting with him every night.

from phone

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I bet more players have had their career game vs the Suns than any other team.

from phone

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like this Bledsoe/Barbosa/Booker/Dudley/Len lineup a lot. They actually play basketball by moving the ball and getting good looks. I hope this can be our unit that closes out both halves from now on.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's a shame that Bledsoe will end his career being so inconsistent. If he could ever consistently play even half as good as he's done today, he would be an All Star player or close to it.

Unfortunately he can never string these games together consistently.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Booker disappointing again tonight.

from phone

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a shame that Bledsoe will end his career being so inconsistent. If he could ever consistently play even half as good as he's done today, he would be an All Star player or close to it.

Unfortunately he can never string these games together consistently.

End his career? He's 27 and has dealt with injuries 2 of the last 3 years. I think it's far too early to say something like that.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oh thank you!
Every time the Lakers beat the Suns God kills a puppy.

from phone

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was good for the Suns to get the win. Maybe it is me, but the Lakers got a lot of home cooking. Also could the announcers praise Luke Walton any more?

Bledsoe had a great game but Barbosa was huge. He made some big shots to calm the Suns down not to mention his defense.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
oh man I love the usa - you can't have that much fun at a game lol - and we got a win...Go Suns.

(But check out the box score, that's something pretty special right there from BK).

STARTERS +/-
M. ChrissPF.................-3
P.J. TuckerSF................4
T. ChandlerC.................3
E. BledsoePG...............18
D. BookerSG................12

BENCH +/-
D. BenderPF.................-10
J. DudleySF...................-2
A. LenC.........................11
B. KnightPG..................-19
L. BarbosaSG..................6

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
End his career? He's 27 and has dealt with injuries 2 of the last 3 years. I think it's far too early to say something like that.
I'm not saying his career will end now but he's already 28 and he's gonna remain what he's been thus far in his career for the remainder of his career. I don't think he's gonna suddenly improve and be consistent at the age of 28.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker disappointing again tonight.

It's sort of weird to say this but Booker looks like he has lost a step or half-step. The only thing I can think of is his foot injury lingers. Twenty year players should not lose their speed and jumping ability if they are not injured.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying his career will end now but he's already 28 and he's gonna remain what he's been thus far in his career for the remainder of his career. I don't think he's gonna suddenly improve and be consistent at the age of 28.

Bledsoe turned 27 today. It was his birthday.

Errntknght

Reaction score
How did Brandon get a +/- of -19. He had one of his best games, no turnovers and only took 11 eleven shots - hitting 5. I guess it is poetic justice... Well, I haven't watched the game yet so maybe that'll make it clear.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How did Brandon get a +/- of -19. He had one of his best games, no turnovers and only took 11 eleven shots - hitting 5. I guess it is poetic justice... Well, I haven't watched the game yet so maybe that'll make it clear.

Knight was just ineffective when he was out there. Lou Williams put up 35 for the Lakers off their bench also. Most teams use their 6th man similarly in terms of when they see minutes and when they're outplayed like that it usually shows in their +/-. Williams outscored Knight by 21 and Knight was -19 for the game. I know Knight had 12 fewer minutes than Williams but Williams was scoring in bunches and Barbosa was outplaying him.

Barbosa's would be better as the teams 6th man that Knight. Which is sad considering Knight is almost 10 years younger, has more overall talent, and makes about $10 million more a season. Barbosa is a much smarter player though. If Watson, and McD, are really convinced the Suns can turn this year around and make a run of some sort hopefully they've noticed that Barbosa is a better 6th man than Knight and moving Knight would be addition by subtraction. Give him Knight's minutes and let Ulis have Barbosa's minutes. They average 38.1 minutes between them, Knight with 24.8 mpg and Barbosa with 13.3. Trade Knight for a future pick, it doesn't need to be for this season if they can get a future pick with little to no protection. Let Ulis's play determine if he can take more minutes away from him. I'm not for the team trying to get in the playoffs but I'd much rather watch LB than Knight and also see Ulis get minutes every game. I don't think it will make us a playoff team but getting Knight out of here is a plus, no matter how it gets done.

The Suns are 2-1 in games LB has played more than 20 minutes, he averages 24.4 mpg, 15.6 ppg, 2 apg, shot 51% from the field, 71% from 3, and has a +/- of +31 total, being in the positive each of those game. I know the move wouldn't help the team long term but getting the young guys winning has to pay off in their development. We have a lot of young players so adding a top lottery pick isn't as necessary as it was in years past. Playing guys like Booker, Chriss, Len, Ulis, and Warren consistent minutes for a winning team has to help them more than playing the same amount of minutes on a team that finishes with one of the worst records in the league.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker should not play heavy minuets. He is not the same player when tired. I liked how Watson left Bled and Booker on the bench until 8 min left in the 4th. They came back fresh.

To bad Booker got two quick B.S. fouls. Barbosa was GREAT