Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don’t think you hear this level of copium unless Ishbia is hellbent on proving his Big-3 creation a success.
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This all totally fits with my perception that Jones is perpetually deluded that he can do no wrong and everything he does is beyond critique. Unfortunately, that seems to be Ishbia's take, as well. I guess we're in for a rocky ride in the upcoming years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This all totally fits with my perception that Jones is perpetually deluded that he can do no wrong and everything he does is beyond critique. Unfortunately, that seems to be Ishbia's take, as well. I guess we're in for a rocky ride in the upcoming years.

It’s more likely Jones had to memorize that speech that Ishbia wrote him. JJ never wanted to make the KD trade. I’m not a Vogel hater either but there’s no way they can bring him back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for a well-thought-out press conference. Talk about a lot of nothing.

Can Mat Ishbia talk any faster?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I disagree. The Suns are not in a great position to win a championship. Also, they are not doing great.

Finishing 6th place in the Western Conference was their trophy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Suns press conference today if it hasn't already been posted.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't Mat Ishbia discussed the Frank Vogel and James Jones situation?

Perhaps the press conference should have been postponed without answers. They hold two important positions that guide the Suns future.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude seems like a big fan of skiing.

I was thinking about tossing it out there but decided to hold back.

He might just be so unaccustomed to abject failure that it has him defensive and high strung... but he also might be the kind of dude who goes to the bathroom once every 20 minutes when he is out on the town.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh… watching more of this presser, just want to give a disclaimer for anyone who didn’t watch:

If you’re hoping we’re gonna draft someone this year or hold on to our pick in 2031, you can start lamenting neither of those things happening… right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh… watching more of this presser, just want to give a disclaimer for anyone who didn’t watch:

If you’re hoping we’re gonna draft someone this year or hold on to our pick in 2031, you can start lamenting neither of those things happening… right now.

Listening to them talk... I sadly agree, they seemed pretty dug into the idea that they only need to make moves around the fringes and also that they are not hamstrung.

The only contracts they can move are Little and Nurk, and Nurk's contract is probably a negative in terms of trade value.

If they attach those picks to Little's contract to make a trade it will be a big mistake.

Mostly, because I cannot think of anyone particularly useful or worth that value that makes under 6.5 million (which is the most we could take back in the deal), but also because we will be sending off the only moveable money (and all moveable assets) we have before the season even starts, we'd have no ability to try to scramble when we have another assumed role player flame out, like KDB did or Goodwin.

Goodwin I think just needed playing time though, but the team was floundering so bad (and I think he got hurt for a while) that Vogel had no trust in letting the bench get any cohesion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles Barkley got this part right. Look at who put the Lakers and Suns together.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, I'm tired of the silence from the Suns front office.

Only near the end of the season did we find out Damion Lee wouldn't be able to play this season.

And what was the addition of IT about? Those are essentially two dead roster spots.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Suns press conference today if it hasn't already been posted.

What strikes me the most about this is the lack of urgency and gaslighting by the Suns. This was one of the most embarrassing seasons ever. The message wasn't "hey the way we played was unacceptable and it will be addressed" verses "we are in a great position" and "we are doing great".

Let me ask the forum a question. Why would the players have a sense of urgency if the organization doesn't?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What strikes me the most about this is the lack of urgency and gaslighting by the Suns. This was one of the most embarrassing seasons ever. The message wasn't "hey the way we played was unacceptable and it will be addressed" verses "we are in a great position" and "we are doing great".

Let me ask the forum a question. Why would the players have a sense of urgency if the organization doesn't?

I so dislike the attitude coming from the Suns front office and ownership that they are more knowledgeable than the fans and even other GMs and owners.

Maybe some casual fans can be talked down too, but putting casual fans together in the same category with those who study the game is flat out wrong. I see some of this from the media too. It is arrogance.

See an example below.

Article by Kellan Olson of Ariona Sports:

“It’s extremely fixable. Let’s just be real. Although this isn’t a cool narrative and the national media really won’t want to play it out there but ask the 29 other GMs, 26 of them would trade their whole team for our whole team and our draft picks and everything as is,” Ishbia said.

-----------------------------------

“You look back at some of the trades that James and all of us were part of. We do those things 100 out of 100 times. Not 99 out of 100, 100 out of 100 and we’d still do them again and I think the other 29 GMs would all do the same exact thing.”

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

“It’s extremely fixable. Let’s just be real. Although this isn’t a cool narrative and the national media really won’t want to play it out there but ask the 29 other GMs, 26 of them would trade their whole team for our whole team and our draft picks and everything as is,” Ishbia said.
I didn't read the article but it's funny because Kellan appears to be playing both sides or flip flopping. He was on with the morning guys and seemed to support firing Vogel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand running it back, even firing no one. I disagree but I understand. Even though this approach is probably doomed to failure, they simply don't have any good path towards success unless this works. But the defiance, the arrogance really concerns me. If Ish still thinks the path that got us here is the right path, we're screwed, now and for the foreseeable future - because it means he's likely to approach team building this same way. I was hoping that maybe the decision makers had learned something from this fiasco.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I so dislike the attitude coming from the Suns front office and ownership that they are more knowledgeable than the fans and even other GMs and owners.

Maybe some casual fans can be talked down too, but putting casual fans together in the same category with those who study the game is flat out wrong. I see some of this from the media too. It is arrogance.

See an example below.

-----------------------------------

“You look back at some of the trades that James and all of us were part of. We do those things 100 out of 100 times. Not 99 out of 100, 100 out of 100 and we’d still do them again and I think the other 29 GMs would all do the same exact thing.”

This reads to me of pure arrogance/stubbornness. Ishbia swung for the fences, and came up way short, but he's too arrogant to admit it was a mistake and move on. I'm hoping this is because he's a new owner and getting his feet wet. Hopefully by the All-Star break he'll grow out of it, because this team is going nowhere...fast.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They also made comments to the effect that the 49 win regular season was "great" and the fans weren't appreciative enough of that. It's enough to make your eyes roll right out of your head.
Fans weren’t appreciative enough of a 49 win season?!? Was that really the messaging?!? Holy crap. Does he think every suns fan can’t remember the pre-Josh jackson suns?!?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans weren’t appreciative enough of a 49 win season?!? Was that really the messaging?!? Holy crap. Does he think every suns fan can’t remember the pre-Josh jackson suns?!?
Listening to the radio right now and the media is ripping the Suns. They are basically saying the based on fan feedback (not just media) the Suns completely screwed the pooch with that press conference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to the radio right now and the media is ripping the Suns. They are basically saying the based on fan feedback (not just media) the Suns completely screwed the pooch with that press conference.
Yeah, I listened to a bit of Wolf and Luke and they were almost as incredulous as we were at that presser.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort