The 10 Worst Foods to Eat in the Morning

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/10-worst-foods-eat-morning?akid=14106.47049.IBA1AZ&rd=1&src=newsletter1053273&t=25

If you choose to eat breakfast, these foods will drag you down.

ou’ve probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

However, this is largely a myth.

Although it may be true for some people, others actually do better when they skip breakfast.

Additionally, eating an unhealthy breakfast can be far worse than not eating at all.

A healthy breakfast includes fiber, protein and healthy fat that gives you energy and makes you feel full.

In contrast, an unhealthy breakfast can make you feel sluggish, cause you to gain weight and increase your risk of chronic disease.

Here are the 10 worst foods you can eat in the morning.

1. Breakfast Cereals ...

Many people think breakfast cereals are a nutritious choice for children and adults...

2. Pancakes and Waffles...

3. Toast with Margarine ...

4. Muffins ...

5. Fruit Juice

Fruit juice is one of the worst choices you can make if you’re trying to avoid hunger, weight gain and chronic disease.

6. Toaster Pastries ...

7. Scones with Jam and Cream ...

8. Sweetened Non-Fat Yogurt ...

A bowl of plain, whole-milk Greek yogurt topped with berries is a great example of a healthy breakfast.

However, a container of fat-free, sugar-sweetened fruit yogurt is not.

9. Granola Bars ...

Granola bars may sound like great breakfast options, but they’re often no better than candy bars...

10. Processed, Gluten-Free Breakfast Foods ...

Take-Home Message

Breakfast has the potential to set you up for a day of great energy levels, stable blood sugar and control over your appetite and weight.

On the other hand, making a poor choice at breakfast can leave you hungry and struggling to get through the rest of the day.

It can also increase your risk of developing health problems in the future.

If you’re going to eat breakfast, make it one that contains protein, healthy fat and fiber from unprocessed, whole foods...

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Food Industrial Complex

http://priceonomics.com/the-food-industrial-complex/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=digg

But it is also because “Big Ag” is not in the healthy food business. American farms with lobbying power don’t grow brussel sprouts; they grow grains used to make the high fructose corn syrup in Coke, the starches in processed foods, and the oil in deep fryers.

This is somewhat inevitable, but it is also a self-inflicted wound: the result of misguided government policy that subsidizes Big Macs and Big Gulps....

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm doing a hybrid of the Warrior and Renegade Diets. The authors advocate not eating breakfast at all.

If you want to read either one just do a Google search for "Renegade Diet PDF" or "Warrior Diet PDF" its the first link in the search.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's really not that difficult... Eat a healthy protein and fat (eggs, turkey bacon, avocado)... or, a healthy smoothie. My go-to smoothie is:

- blueberries
- banana
- spinach
- Chia Seeds
- Cacao Powder
- Whey Protein Powder
- Small amount of organic, extra-virgin coconut oil
- Almond Milk

;)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's painting with an extremely broad brush. Very misleading in a lot of cases when you get down to it.

There are plenty of whole grain, healthy option cereals out there now. Yeah, eating Frosted Flakes or other sugary cereals is bad but there are a lot of good options out there now.

Same with Pancakes. If you want to have pancakes you can have that, and eggs. Whole grain pancake's with reduced sugar or sugarfree syrup, or fruit on top. Eggs whites are basically pure protein.

Point is, the surest way to make someone not lose any weight is to tell them they cant eat anything they like. It just takes a little common sense and some better choices and you can eat great and lose weight.

I know from experience.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's painting with an extremely broad brush. Very misleading in a lot of cases when you get down to it.

There are plenty of whole grain, healthy option cereals out there now. Yeah, eating Frosted Flakes or other sugary cereals is bad but there are a lot of good options out there now.

Same with Pancakes. If you want to have pancakes you can have that, and eggs. Whole grain pancake's with reduced sugar or sugarfree syrup, or fruit on top. Eggs whites are basically pure protein.

Point is, the surest way to make someone not lose any weight is to tell them they cant eat anything they like. It just takes a little common sense and some better choices and you can eat great and lose weight.

I know from experience.

Why eat breakfast at all?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why eat breakfast at all?
Probably hunger.

I don't get hungry until 4-5 hours after waking up typically so I don't eat in the morning. I do eat late at night before bed though when most people don't

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably hunger.

I don't get hungry until 4-5 hours after waking up typically so I don't eat in the morning. I do eat late at night before bed though when most people don't

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I vote for habit. Your delayed hunger "pangs" may be due to your pattern of skipping breakfast. This breakfast thing is new to the evolutionary process (in America) and is a whole bunch of marketing. Look around at all the fatties (which is new) in this society. The obesity statistic just inched over 50 % of the population. They did not get there by not eating. It seems that most people just go from one meal to another in rapid succession.

If you eat a breakfast that is healthy and actually aides in weight loss, why wouldn't you??:shrug:

Have no idea what is the theory behind eating breakfast aids in weight loss. Sounds like a rumor. That meal from the night before has been digested and processed and provides sufficient "fuel" to start the day. Clogging the process up with breakfast just negates the nutrition and energy process. Plenty of evidence to support the concept of no breakfast.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not trying to quibble with you Soutpaw, so please dont take my back and forth as argument. We're just discussing. I'm not a Doctor or anything. :)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/many-benefits-breakfast

Some interesting thoughts about breakfast.

The guy who has been helping me lose weight is a world champion body builder and a personal trainer. (not saying that to impress anyone, just want to give him some credibility in your mind) He has been having me eat 6 times a day and absolutely DEMANDS that I eat breakfast. Lean protein and whole grains. It helps with my metabolism because your body wakes up faster because it has to start digesting, thus burning more calories. He says that long periods without food triggers your body to start storing fat, because that's how your body works. If your body knows that you will eat small meals all day it just goes into fat burning mode. Atleast that's the theory. :)

I dont know if all the science behind that is perfect but I have been working since June last year and am down 70lbs. Which is why I'm not just going to let you destroy breakfast without a fight!!! LOL just kidding. :p

I dont really like breakfast either, full disclosure. Sometimes forcing myself to eat in the morning is tougher than going to the gym, but I cant argue with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to quibble with you Soutpaw, so please dont take my back and forth as argument. We're just discussing. I'm not a Doctor or anything. :)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/many-benefits-breakfast

Some interesting thoughts about breakfast.

The guy who has been helping me lose weight is a world champion body builder and a personal trainer. (not saying that to impress anyone, just want to give him some credibility in your mind) He has been having me eat 6 times a day and absolutely DEMANDS that I eat breakfast. Lean protein and whole grains. It helps with my metabolism because your body wakes up faster because it has to start digesting, thus burning more calories. He says that long periods without food triggers your body to start storing fat, because that's how your body works. If your body knows that you will eat small meals all day it just goes into fat burning mode. Atleast that's the theory. :)

I dont know if all the science behind that is perfect but I have been working since June last year and am down 70lbs. Which is why I'm not just going to let you destroy breakfast without a fight!!! LOL just kidding. :p

I dont really like breakfast either, full disclosure. Sometimes forcing myself to eat in the morning is tougher than going to the gym, but I cant argue with the results.

No offense meant or taken. Sounds as if the plan is working wonders for you.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Have no idea what is the theory behind eating breakfast aids in weight loss. Sounds like a rumor. That meal from the night before has been digested and processed and provides sufficient "fuel" to start the day. Clogging the process up with breakfast just negates the nutrition and energy process. Plenty of evidence to support the concept of no breakfast.

Oh, I'm sure that if you skip meals or otherwise restrict your calorie intake, you might lose weight... Caloric restriction and even fasting has also been proven to be beneficial.
My comment about eating a healthy breakfast that can contribute to weight loss really shouldn't be taken on its' own... The proper context is that you have to be involved in a proper exercise routine - preferably a HIIT type regimen. A SMALL breakfast of protein, healthy fat and whole grain is extremely beneficial. As is a SMALL lunch with the same combination of food, and dinner.
Actually, the program I am on says, before you eat anything in the morning, drink 32 oz of water. Work out. Then breakfast... which, for me since I don't have a ton of time in the morning, I make a smoothie (ingredients listed earlier in this thread).
I started this program roughly 10 months ago. I did not want to get involved in a quick, lose a zillion lbs in 30 days type program. I simply wanted to lose weight and get healthier on a slow, steady basis.
Over the past 10 months, I've lost 18 pounds, going from a high of 225lbs to 207. Meanwhile, I lost 2 inches on my waist-line, and gave developed a much leaner body-style. I'm 5'10" so ideally, I still need to drop at least another 12-15 pounds. And truthfully, over the past few weeks, I've noticed a bit of a plateau effect taking place. Which means I need to get more serious about the H and I (High Impact) part of HIIT training. I also have been traveling a great deal and have gotten a little lazy in terms of my food intake...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen