The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Well we see things very differently.

PJ Washington had the best game he will have all series.

The Mavs shot 48% from 3 while OKC shot 33%.

That game was a fluke. OKC is clearly the better team and I would be shocked if they lose the series.
it's still a series but mavs definitely have the upper hand as of today - not going to look up the percentages but stealing one on the road is about as good as it gets for the lower seed - cherry picking stats is cool but they just speak to dallas's dominance imo - okc limited kyrie and got abused elsewhere for doing so

if the mavs win 2 of the next 3 at home then it is over

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I still don't understand why we gave him away - and kept Okobo by the way.

Jones just hates young players.

It certainly seems like if the Suns want to win it all, they are going to have to do it with the draft picks of other GMs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mavs are not winning this series. They got great play out of their "others" last night and still barely won.
Winning by that much in a game 2 second round game and being in control most of the game isn’t barely winning.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Mavs are not winning this series. They got great play out of their "others" last night and still barely won.
the mavs were one of the top teams in the league after their trades because the others were consistent on both sides of the floor. when the others score they are hard to beat. it isn't just a one off, we have evidence that they play well over a sustained period. the most unique aspect of last night's game was Tim Hardaway Jr...he has struggled mightily for many weeks now and they were winning without his contributions.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Winning by that much in a game 2 second round game and being in control most of the game isn’t barely winning.
good point. it felt like Dallas was in control of the game for most of the game. with that said OKC did make runs at them consistently, but it was a win in a game that dallas had to have. wouldn't of mattered how they got the win. at least now we have a series.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

That game was a fluke. OKC is clearly the better team and I would be shocked if they lose the series.
In general OKC are considered to be better overall. and after watching them for 2 games I understand why. you can twist stats a lot of different ways. Irving had 11 assists and 9 points. what if Irving has 40 in the next game. Dallas and OKC are both explosive offensively and have multiple players that can score. I agree about Washington's points being well above average, but he is usually a better shooter at home, which makes his game last night noteworthy. I assume that is why you bring that up to discredit his performance moving forward. but winning on the road and having a role player excel on the road is a good thing that can turn a series. they may not need him to score 29 to win the next game. Washington gets open looks at 3 because of Doncic and Irving getting doubled. he should be making those. he's done it many times.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas got my players, though. :madarms:
Yeah you did say from day 1 that Dallas made great trades. I trust your judgment. Even if Dallas lose this series, they had a great turnaround because of those trades. I think they are 21-6 in games played since the trades when all of the guys have played together. Tim hardaway jr. to me is a wild card. If they can get him going he could change this series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you did say from day 1 that Dallas made great trades. I trust your judgment. Even if Dallas lose this series, they had a great turnaround because of those trades. I think they are 21-6 in games played since the trades when all of the guys have played together. Tim hardaway jr. to me is a wild card. If they can get him going he could change this series.

Yeah, the Mavericks got two starters for some pocket change. Hardaway Jr. should come around with some big games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Clearly better? Eh.

Younger teams often fall to more experienced teams their first go around as favorites.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Knicks team reminds me of the Amare-less Suns team, that lost KT also and eventually Raja too, that still made that incredible run to the WCF and came within two games of the Finals.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of dumb to have games that people can’t see for the playoffs? Many people stream now and don’t have ESPN if it were Suns games maybe I would sign up but not to watch other teams. Seems dumb to not take advantage of the ratings they would get making them available on tv…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Wolves looked more like the Pups tonight. Young team probably got a little over their skis. Impressive can’t kill ‘em game from the Champs. Sets up a huge Game 4.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Denver adjusted to hold off Ant and Towns and thus the complete T-Wol offense. Mavs had Irvine heeding to the team concept, which is scary when he also explodes on scoring. OKC didn't get as many open 3s as previous game.
Compared to all these teams, ours is definitely not in a position to turn it up on D in a similar way due to lack of personell and game reps.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of dumb to have games that people can’t see for the playoffs? Many people stream now and don’t have ESPN if it were Suns games maybe I would sign up but not to watch other teams. Seems dumb to not take advantage of the ratings they would get making them available on tv…

Who doesn’t have ESPN in 2024. It’s part of every basic streaming service

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who doesn’t have ESPN in 2024. It’s part of every basic streaming service
I don't. Can't watch sports if it is on a pay for channel.:(.

I didn't get to watch any basketball at all. Not getting to watch any baseball. Can only follow them on the ESPN gamecast.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Supposedly we have a streaming service coming that will congregate most of all sports broadcasts. Just no one knows the price yet.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Denver adjusted to hold off Ant and Towns and thus the complete T-Wol offense. Mavs had Irvine heeding to the team concept, which is scary when he also explodes on scoring. OKC didn't get as many open 3s as previous game.
Compared to all these teams, ours is definitely not in a position to turn it up on D in a similar way due to lack of personell and game reps.
to take it a step further, Irving has turned into the leader that this team needs. You could see it on the court as game 2 was winding down. all of the players including Doncic respect him and follow his lead. I think Irving has developed into that role organically because the mavs organization treated him with respect and gave him time to adjust.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
to take it a step further, Irving has turned into the leader that this team needs. You could see it on the court as game 2 was winding down. all of the players including Doncic respect him and follow his lead. I think Irving has developed into that role organically because the mavs organization treated him with respect and gave him time to adjust.
I think he’s healthy this season. Has a lot to do with his effort on the court. Also he has big guys behind him so he can focus on D. He taken on the role some guys would like Beal to take on here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like another “fluke” for Dallas… despite Doncic playing like crap today.

Watching OKC, I’m kinda mystified by how good they are. They’ve got a bunch of athletes and Jalen is decent but they really only have one superstar.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Looks like another “fluke” for Dallas… despite Doncic playing like crap today.
that was quite a defensive effort by both sides. Doncic made a big play on a steal and layup with about 2 mins in the fourth. he earned and won a jump ball on the defensive end. those were swing plays that kept OKC from coming back. Irving made a clutch contested left hand runner to close it.

as you pointed out Washington was not a fluke. and he's doing more than shooting 3's. he is a legit threat to score and is arguably their best defender. I thought Lively played a lot better too, which is to be expected for a young guy to do better at home. Lively's effort has been there, but he was really bad from the field in the first 2 games.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think he’s healthy this season. Has a lot to do with his effort on the court. Also he has big guys behind him so he can focus on D. He taken on the role some guys would like Beal to take on here.
for sure, he did miss some time early in the season. this has really been a tale of 2 seasons for dallas after he got healthy and they made those trades. win or lose this round they have proven that they are a top team in the west.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen