The Cards Defense

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too bad they’re not #1 in points given up, that’s the most important defensive ranking. You can lead the league in turnovers, sacks, yards allowed, 3rd down defense, most 3 and outs but if you give up more points than your offense scores it means nothing.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Cardinals have a good defense when the right scheme is called.

Bowles>Betcher

To be fair, as much as I like Arians as a person......... Bowles>Arians

I think very highly of Todd Bowles.

The inconsistency of this defense is the problem I see, and I think that inconsistency comes from the "peaks and valley" type talent on the field.

Extreme talent and extreme liability on the same field is tough. The "depth guys" need to be at least "solid" and not extreme liabilities.

What is extreme liability? Justin Bethel. Hate to pile on a guy that has already lost his job, but he would give up big, back breaking, game losing plays consistently. You just cannot have that. Sure, pass rush has to do its job, but at some point, after the 10th time you see it happen the talent has to get better.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad they’re not #1 in points given up, that’s the most important defensive ranking. You can lead the league in turnovers, sacks, yards allowed, 3rd down defense, most 3 and outs but if you give up more points than your offense scores it means nothing.
True - But you can use the disparity to ask: "Why are key numbers so good and our W & L so bad?" (There's always some obscure stat hiding in the weeds).

Figure out what the offending problem is and tweak it - that's how you get better.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Our play on defense on 1st and 2nd down is definitely top 6 worthy. But opponent's OC always knows which scheme we will run on 3rd down. That's our neck breaker. Usually when we blitz they have a perfect screen dialed up already, and if we drop deep in zones the QB has forever to wait for someone to find an opening. This, plus we've been missing intensity on 3rd down. Altogether we are a middle of the pack defense. Here is hope that next year we get a new DC or at least Betcher steps up his play calling.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still say the timing of the defensive letdowns are most troubling. Seems like after we score and at the end or beginning of a half.

OP
OP
WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I still say the timing of the defensive letdowns are most troubling. Seems like after we score and at the end or beginning of a half.

This us exactly what I was thinking About when I posted this. Also playing with the lead and can't get off the field on third downs.

These advanced stats are no better than any other, they are just numbers that can be twisted to prove any point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen