The Road - by Cormack Mccarthy

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read The Road this weekend in about 6 hours. I heard about it in Entertainment Weekly where they rated it as an "A". I like to read good books that are recommended, instead of wasting time on something that may suck.

So I gladly picked this up on Saturday. It is a new release, written by Cormac Mccarthy and is a look at a man and a boy in a post-apocolyptic world.

We don't know what happened, or why, or even how long it has been, but we guess at least 4-5 years has passed since the event ended the world as they knew it.

But we're suddenly walking along with the man and young boy, in an burned world, with ash blowing along the tops of the roads, streets and towns. No one is seen, as food has become non-existent and people have turned to...finding other sources to feed themselves.

It's erie and bleak....and so worth the read. I bought it on Saturday morning, and started reading it inside the mall as my wife went into Gap. I couldn't put it down after that, and was up until 3am Sunday morning finishing it.

Give it a try.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Ill go pick it up. I read a bunch of McCarthy years ago, but just kind of dont read too much fiction anymore. Definitely check out his gruesome book Blood Meridian about two friends who hook up with a band of indian scalping white guys along the TX Mexico border. Hell, the whole trilogy, All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Blood Meridian are all awesome.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Ill go pick it up. I read a bunch of McCarthy years ago, but just kind of dont read too much fiction anymore. Definitely check out his gruesome book Blood Meridian about two friends who hook up with a band of indian scalping white guys along the TX Mexico border. Hell, the whole trilogy, All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Blood Meridian are all awesome.

Is that the order of them?

I am excited already :)

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never gotten to it, nope.

I heard from a friend this book won a Pulitzer Prize...

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Recently read this. Pretty good, but it may be a boring movie because not a lot happens.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Road was great, as was No Country for Old Men. Blood Meridian and Child of God were also pretty good, though not on the same level.

All the Pretty Horses and that whole border trilogy just had a different feel to it than the others I've read. But, I like the starkness of his writing.

Good stuff!

outoftheashes

Registered
Reaction score
Me and the wife both burned through this book with a quickness. One of the better books I have read. It is as depressing as advertised though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
finishing up blood meridian. it was engaging but a tough read. i mean, i literally felt like the book put me through mental gymnastics. tough to read right before bed.