$35.5M in cap space

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have $35.5M in cap space. Why? We could not find any impact free agents to sign this off season? https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/arizona-cardinals

Frankly, this was not a great year for FAs in positions of need.

I'd rather see the CARDS use some of the leeway to re-sign some of our pending FA's.

Hernandez
Froholdt
White
Conner
Baker

And Spotrac has our available Cap (top 51) at $19m with the Benson signing still pending.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Spotrac has not updated their website for the June 1st release of Humphries. I don't think any of pending FAs will command a large contract.

As far as FAs in a position of need we have needs all over the team. We still don't have a #1 CB or even a proven #2 CB. We don't have a LG and the rest of our OL is average. We don't have a pass rush or any proven defensive lineman. None of our FA signings are anything to be excited about. We sign a bunch of average journeyman players.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

I'd probably check out Russell Gage and his rehab, and bring in a few of the Edge guys for a meeting, but really all that could have already been done and just not reported. Also CB Gilmore.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Spotrac has not updated their website for the June 1st release of Humphries. I don't think any of pending FAs will command a large contract.

As far as FAs in a position of need we have needs all over the team. We still don't have a #1 CB or even a proven #2 CB. We don't have a LG and the rest of our OL is average. We don't have a pass rush or any proven defensive lineman. None of our FA signings are anything to be excited about. We sign a bunch of average journeyman players.

Put names and contracts on your wish list.

We signed a CB with a Super Bowl ring and drafted two CBs in the first 100.

We have plenty of competition for the LG slot, and, again, we drafted to fill the role for years to come, hopefully.

That so-called average O-line gave us the fourth-best rushing offence and an overall top-10 ranking when KYLER was back at the helm.

The defence's interior is in way better shape than it was going into last season.

That depleted team beat three playoff teams, two more than KC in the regular season.

The glass is half full, my friend.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Put names and contracts on your wish list.

We signed a CB with a Super Bowl ring and drafted two CBs in the first 100.
That is history. You can't live in the past. I don't see any of the rookie CBs making a serious impact this year.
We have plenty of competition for the LG slot, and, again, we drafted to fill the role for years to come, hopefully.
Yes we have competition at LG but we said that last year.
That so-called average O-line gave us the fourth-best rushing offence and an overall top-10 ranking when KYLER was back at the helm.
We had the fourth best rushing attack because of Conner not the OL. He was third in the league for yards after contact. I saw a stat during the season where he had the least amount of yards before contact.
The defence's interior is in way better shape than it was going into last season.
Yes, it is better than last year but still not good.
The glass is half full, my friend.

I hope you are right. The preseason is always full of hope. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have $35.5M in cap space. Why? We could not find any impact free agents to sign this off season? https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/arizona-cardinals

We can carry all of that over. McBride will need to be extended next off season and if he continues on his arc, he'll be expensive.

As of this moment, we are estimated to have $90 million in space next off season with 37 players under contract, not counting the $35 million.

Key free agents we could extend now with that $35 million to keep as much of that $90 as possible for draft and FA.

Buddha
Will Hernandez
Froholdt
Kyzir White

FA we could extend next off season with roll over.

McBride (given IMHO)
Conner (team friendly retirement type extension)
Zay Jones (depending on fit)
Sean Murphy-Bunting (depending on fit)
Collins (unlikely, but if he busts out)

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather not extend Connor given that he'll be 30 next year and we drafted his potential replacement. :shrug:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'd rather not extend Connor given that he'll be 30 next year and we drafted his potential replacement. :shrug:
Agree..but if he has a great year I might go year to year with him...until some of the young guys start picking up the leadership roles

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ugh, not the "we can carry over a ton of cap space and use it next year" nonsense again. The next time we actually use all the cap space we carry over year after year will be the first time. That excuse was tired last year.

Although we've had a decent offseason, we definitely could have done more, or at least better. This shows we would have had zero problems throwing money at one of the big interior DL. Man, that would've helped a lot, getting an interior Big John.

Stout

Reaction score
Froholdt and White are the Two obvious choices IMO. Both relatively Young at 27 & 28. Both anchorpieces for the team without being stars.

The safer Pick would be White. The smarter Pick would be Froholdt given the significant salary increase C are getting
They won't be expensive. We could do both and still have a ton of cap space.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
They won't be expensive. We could do both and still have a ton of cap space.
Look at What centers’ salary is at. It has exploded over the couple of years. Froholdt was #19 in the first Half of last season and #6 in the Second Half. Froholdt’s salary is 3.2M this year. If he continues his play from the 2nd Half of last season, he Will receive 9+M after this season

Stout

Reaction score
Look at What centers’ salary is at. It has exploded over the couple of years. Froholdt was #19 in the first Half of last season and #6 in the Second Half. Froholdt’s salary is 3.2M this year. If he continues his play from the 2nd Half of last season, he Will receive 9+M after this season
You do it before this season starts and he will not be getting close to that. Be proactive.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is history. You can't live in the past. I don't see any of the rookie CBs making a serious impact this year.

Yes we have competition at LG but we said that last year.

We had the fourth best rushing attack because of Conner not the OL. He was third in the league for yards after contact. I saw a stat during the season where he had the least amount of yards before contact.

Yes, it is better than last year but still not good.

I hope you are right. The preseason is always full of hope. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Sure, apart from the present moment, everything is history from which we can attempt to make reasonable projections.

Based on the offseason, my projections are that we are heading in the right direction, which should translate into more wins.

I'm unclear where you stand.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Paying Froholdt $9M ranks up there with paying Marquis Brown $15M, maybe worse. $9M would put him in the top 10 for centers. He is average at best.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh, not the "we can carry over a ton of cap space and use it next year" nonsense again. The next time we actually use all the cap space we carry over year after year will be the first time. That excuse was tired last year.

Although we've had a decent offseason, we definitely could have done more, or at least better. This shows we would have had zero problems throwing money at one of the big interior DL. Man, that would've helped a lot, getting an interior Big John.
I get where you’re coming from and I’m not even saying you’re wrong or that I necessarily disagree but Monti and JG have been adamant and consistent from day 1 that football character is a priority in all personnel acquisitions. A guy’s play on the field isn’t the only factor and we don’t know nearly as much as teams do about the rest of a guy’s makeup.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree that this is a lot of wasted cap space. I don't like it. If we extend Conner for anything more than a major team premium, I'll be grumpy. Froholdt, White? Ehhhh, I guess, but not to eat up cap for the sake of it.

We could have done better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep saying that winning teams are built in the draft and that is what the FO is trying to do.

They want to draft the next Christian Wilkins or Dexter Lawrence. They don't want to pay $30m to sign one when the hit rate for big money FA signings is poor.

When they feel like they have a young core capable of challenging for the division I'm confident they will supplement it with some big FA moves. But that time isn't now.

I have no problem with them not blowing big money on names just to eek out another win or two and get beat in the wildcard round (at best).

Who here would seriously have payed 30 year old Danielle Hunter $24.5m a year or 30 year old Leonard Williams $21.5m a year? A would you expect either to vastly change the fortunes of this team?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at the list of available FA's the only guy I'd bring in is Calais Campbell and I'm only doing that for cheap.

We have some vets in that room but Campbell is a GOAT. He'd be a great mentor for guys like Robinson, and he's still a good player who I'm sure still has a place out in Arizona. It would be a nice story for him to finish his career here.

And he has all the character and work ethic the team covets. I doubt it would happen though, would be very off brand for them to sign someone that age.

Stout

Reaction score
I agree that this is a lot of wasted cap space. I don't like it. If we extend Conner for anything more than a major team premium, I'll be grumpy. Froholdt, White? Ehhhh, I guess, but not to eat up cap for the sake of it.

We could have done better.
No smart GM would extend Conner. He's oft injured and old. That's just not a good bet. Definitely extend White and Fro now but that won't eat a ton of the cap space. Just another offseason of wasted cap space with holes still on the roster.

Stout

Reaction score
Counterpoint, Brit. You have told us for several years not to worry, that we'd spend the rolled over cap space next year. When does next year become this year? Why the heck wouldn't you spend if you could eke out a few more wins, which can be a huge difference in this league? That doesn't make sense, not wanting to eke out a few more wins.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Paying Froholdt $9M ranks up there with paying Marquis Brown $15M, maybe worse. $9M would put him in the top 10 for centers. He is average at best.
Calling him average at best and I understand that is your opinion. But it sounds like you are stating a fact rather than just an opinion. And to be honest I'm not sure of your FB scouting background. Appreciate it if you'd let us know.