$35.5M in cap space

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. Guys that can set the edge against the run are a dime a dozen. Will he take a cheapo contract to stay? Like, a JAG contract? If not, he'll be easily replaceable.
Eh he's actually pretty good against the run and in coverage. That combo isn't a dime a dozen. Honestly I'd love to see Zaven just go to a 4-3 defense and play SOLB.

Zaven needs to get better as a pass rusher, but he can still play a good percentage of snaps and rotate with a pass rush guy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh he's actually pretty good against the run and in coverage. That combo isn't a dime a dozen. Honestly I'd love to see Zaven just go to a 4-3 defense and play SOLB.

Zaven needs to get better as a pass rusher, but he can still play a good percentage of snaps and rotate with a pass rush guy.
1--Zaven needs to become a pass rusher before getting better. He's a nothing burger there now.
2--Who is he going to rotate with? BJ Should already be in and we got ground chuck backing everyone up.

Okay, so we shouldn't offer him the vet minimum. He does alright in coverage as well as in the run game. But 8 or so mill per like some are suggesting? No thank you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1--Zaven needs to become a pass rusher before getting better. He's a nothing burger there now.
2--Who is he going to rotate with? BJ Should already be in and we got ground chuck backing everyone up.

Okay, so we shouldn't offer him the vet minimum. He does alright in coverage as well as in the run game. But 8 or so mill per like some are suggesting? No thank you.
I wouldn't resign him if he doesn't show marked improvement as a pass rusher

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What the FO knows and we probably don't, what are the options of replacing Zaven, and that will determine the team's decision. My fandom decision is to resign him. Only speaking as a fan and not as a FB businessman. I do have faith that Monti will make the correct decision.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn’t Zaven add 20 pounds this off season? Or at least that’s what i believe I read. If the weight was added does this staff have another role in mind?

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like the names bandied out for extensions. Thinking outside the box, you wonder if there are any players we could pick up for lower or conditional picks for teams tight on cap space.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like the names bandied out for extensions. Thinking outside the box, you wonder if there are any players we could pick up for lower or conditional picks for teams tight on cap space.
Despite all of our roster needs, I don't really know if there is a ton of opportunity spots where this would make sense.

It's like CB. On the surface you would believe there are options to trade and upgrade the CB room...except, SMB was a FA signee this year, Garrett Williams and Max Melton and Elijah Jones are all 2nd or 3rd round picks drafted over the past two years to challenge for starting spots. So, would it really make sense to add a mid to early round guy who has underperformed when you may not have the spots where he can get reps?

We are kinda in a weird spot where trades almost don't make sense because there is so much youth on the roster that needs to be evaluated. (Outside of EDGE) Arguably the most impactful trade the Cardinals could "feasibly" (using that term lightly) make would be to trade for CeeDee Lamb. This is mostly due to our 11 personnel usage, low cost WR room, and limited WR room talent. The Cowboys are going to be lacking cap space, but I don't believe they want to trade Lamb, and I don't believe the Cardinals really want to give up a 1st next year for a WR who they will have to pay huge dollars to.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Despite all of our roster needs, I don't really know if there is a ton of opportunity spots where this would make sense.

It's like CB. On the surface you would believe there are options to trade and upgrade the CB room...except, SMB was a FA signee this year, Garrett Williams and Max Melton and Elijah Jones are all 2nd or 3rd round picks drafted over the past two years to challenge for starting spots. So, would it really make sense to add a mid to early round guy who has underperformed when you may not have the spots where he can get reps?

We are kinda in a weird spot where trades almost don't make sense because there is so much youth on the roster that needs to be evaluated. (Outside of EDGE) Arguably the most impactful trade the Cardinals could "feasibly" (using that term lightly) make would be to trade for CeeDee Lamb. This is mostly due to our 11 personnel usage, low cost WR room, and limited WR room talent. The Cowboys are going to be lacking cap space, but I don't believe they want to trade Lamb, and I don't believe the Cardinals really want to give up a 1st next year for a WR who they will have to pay huge dollars to.
Yeah, I don't see a world where we trade for CeeDee. It just doesn't make financial or roster sense. We have enough guys in the room to be solid. I think we want/need to let Michael Wilson show what he's got on the field. He fits the same description as your point about Williams, Melton, and Jones... we have to get them reps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a world where we trade for CeeDee. It just doesn't make financial or roster sense. We have enough guys in the room to be solid. I think we want/need to let Michael Wilson show what he's got on the field. He fits the same description as your point about Williams, Melton, and Jones... we have to get them reps.
I don't think we will trade for CeeDee, but I disagree that it doesn't make financial and roster sense. We don't have any financial issues right now and will need to actually find ways to spend money in the near future. There would be zero financial issues with adding Lamb. Also, in terms of roster, Lamb is 10 months older than Wilson, and significantly better as a player. Also, Lamb can play inside and outside which would give the Cardinals a lot of options deploying their WRs. Wilson would develop fine getting 60% of offensive snaps which is about the rate the Cardinals run 3 WR sets.

So, yes, I don't think the Cardinals would trade for Lamb. But yes, he would significantly improve the WR room/roster.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with this!

For Lamb, it's probably a 1st and Micheal Wilson, plus at least $100 million in guarantees.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

That's why if the cowboys call you stear the conversation towards Micah...they can't afford to pay them both and Lamb helps them get their money's worth from Dak

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think it’s the perfect time to do it with MHJ on a rookie deal salary for 4 years at least.
Not trying to pile on you (because others have said it), but why is this fanbase so averse to trying to develop our picks into useful players?

I'm hoping it's just because Keim couldn't draft to save his life and we're in a state of shock.

It baffles me that we don't want to give Wilson a shot after playing pretty well - whether that's drafting another top receiver, trading for one, or whatever. I also can't imagine MHJ would take it very well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky