Suns sign guard Collin Gillespie to a two-way contract

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One good thing about Gillisespie, he has some NBA experience, having played 24 games with the Nuggets.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Gillespe right now is what they refer to as a "AAAA player." Too good for the minors, not quite there for the major leagues.

But I want to see him get a chance. He can obliously shoot and pass and was a great rebounder for his size in the G League. Does it translate to the NBA? Will he be good enough defensively? Time will tell, but he's definitely worth a look.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gillespe right now is what they refer to as a "AAAA player." Too goof gfor the minors, not quite there for the major leagues.

But I want to see him get a chance. He can obliously shoot and pass and was a great rebounder for his size in the G League. Does it translate to the NBA? Will he be good enough defensively? Time will tell, but he's definitely worth a look.
Sounds as though he has earned the chance to claim a spot in the NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting. Excellent passer. Excellent shooter (90% ft as well), incredible rebounder for a guard, plays with lots of confidence/

However he is also a tough player. Plays through contact. Contact does not seem to bother him, in fact he seems to seek it out.

Something may have clicked with him in GLeague last year. For some players there is something that just clicks in their brain and they ascend.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope he is a miracle find, but I think he is more likely to be an inverse Archie Goodwin.

Archie was far too athletic for the GLeague, and demolished it, but he had no where near the skill to play in the NBA. This kid has a ton of skill, but I dunno about the athletic prowess.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope he is a miracle find, but I think he is more likely to be an inverse Archie Goodwin.

Archie was far too athletic for the GLeague, and demolished it, but he had no where near the skill to play in the NBA. This kid has a ton of skill, but I dunno about the athletic prowess.

The positive there is we have seen “un athletic ” players succeed in the nba.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The positive there is we have seen “un athletic ” players succeed in the nba.
Rarely are the successful ones both unathletic and smaller. That’s typically the larger players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn’t seem to be unathletic to me. He is not super athletic but he plays smart. He has Danny Ainge level confidence.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know, saying Kemba was maybe 6 feet in shoes and was good

My bad. Thought you were suggesting him as a veteran signing. So used to seeing old PG's named as potential bench pickups.

He was about 6'0" though. Same goes Chris Paul. Wasn't Scott Skiles also about 6'0"? There's definitely examples of guys who have had nice careers as 6' PG's. I'm curious why Collin isn't playing in Summer League though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the Suns might want to look at their other point guard candidates.

Gillespie has NBA experience as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let’s guess. Maybe he already has plenty of time in on this level in g-league? I am not sure what the point of him playing in G-league would be.
I can think of a few reasons:

1. Maybe the suns start putting in some base elements of their offense and defense during summer league, so it’s a way to get ahead of the season.

2. Hope that he can develop a rapport with other players with whom he might play at the nba level (like the rookies).

3. He provides stability at the point which should better allow the younger players to succeed in their growth.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can think of a few reasons:

1. Maybe the suns start putting in some base elements of their offense and defense during summer league, so it’s a way to get ahead of the season.

2. Hope that he can develop a rapport with other players with whom he might play at the nba level (like the rookies).

3. He provides stability at the point which should better allow the younger players to succeed in their growth.

As far as i know they don't even have coaches announced.