Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Honestly, I'm getting outrage fatigue because the number of idiotic projects is just legion by now. I also hear Sam "I can't be original any longer unless I'm doing a Marvel movie" Raimi is prepping Drag Me to Hell 2 as well. Just put a fork in Hollywood, please--it's done.
And yet you line up repeatedly for the thing that is driving all these sequels… the never ending Marvel sequel which is killing the mid-major and any creativity whatsoever.

You want to see change in what Hollywood produces? Stop being part of the problem that reinforces the idea that IP is the only way to move forward and really just go see anything that’s NOT part of the Marvel machine.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And yet you line up repeatedly for the thing that is driving all these sequels… the never ending Marvel sequel which is killing the mid-major and any creativity whatsoever.

You want to see change in what Hollywood produces? Stop being part of the problem that reinforces the idea that IP is the only way to move forward and really just go see anything that’s NOT part of the Marvel machine.
Oh, you're preaching to the choir there. So long as Marvel put out good movies, I was game. I will be much more choosy moving forward. I'll be watching Guardians 3, then nothing on their menu atm.

This is a bit disingenuous, though. This problem was around well before Marvel. Hell, Brooks even joked about it with his "Rocky Five...Thousand" bit in Spaceballs, way back when.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, you're preaching to the choir there. So long as Marvel put out good movies, I was game. I will be much more choosy moving forward. I'll be watching Guardians 3, then nothing on their menu atm.

This is a bit disingenuous, though. This problem was around well before Marvel. Hell, Brooks even joked about it with his "Rocky Five...Thousand" bit in Spaceballs, way back when.

Who could forget Spaceballs 2 The Search for more money.

What a classic

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
From Airplane 2 - The Sequel. 1982
You must be registered for see images attach
Completely off topic, but I was once a counselor at a facility for children with mental health needs. One day it was raining so we decided to put on a movie. I brought in Airplane, because of course it’s a cinematic masterpiece. I completely forgot that a ‘PG’ rating meant something else back when the film was released. I also forgot there was a topless scene in the movie. Needless to say, several of the kids later said that it had become their favorite movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely off topic, but I was once a counselor at a facility for children with mental health needs. One day it was raining so we decided to put on a movie. I brought in Airplane, because of course it’s a cinematic masterpiece. I completely forgot that a ‘PG’ rating meant something else back when the film was released. I also forgot there was a topless scene in the movie. Needless to say, several of the kids later said that it had become their favorite movie.
Welcome to my wife showing all my kids 80's movies. My wife kept having these memories of all the classic 80's movies she loved. Over and over again she forgot about language, suggestive scenes time and time again. Many of those movies would be R today. :eek:

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I hope they don't screw this up. They probably will but I hope not. Top Gun 2, T2, ESB and some others prove sequels can be worthy if they invest the time to get the script right.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gough and Miller didn’t exactly nail it IMO. It felt like a horror comedy film that happened to have characters in it from the first film.

They failed to capture the feel of the first movie and it felt very Tim Burton Light which surprised me. I wanted more Burton and more Keaton. There was enough Burton magic to make it familiar but not nearly enough.

Not bad by any stretch. Fun but ultimately forgettable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gough and Miller didn’t exactly nail it IMO. It felt like a horror comedy film that happened to have characters in it from the first film.

They failed to capture the feel of the first movie and it felt very Tim Burton Light which surprised me. I wanted more Burton and more Keaton. There was enough Burton magic to make it familiar but not nearly enough.

Not bad by any stretch. Fun but ultimately forgettable.
I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon. Didn't have high expectations, just want to be entertained. Tim Burton has had some stinkers, but he's better than average in the entertainment department IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon. Didn't have high expectations, just want to be entertained. Tim Burton has had some stinkers, but he's better than average in the entertainment department IMO.
I won’t spoil anything but there was an opportunity towards the end of the film to make a really memorable sequence and the score choice was a whiff.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I won’t spoil anything but there was an opportunity towards the end of the film to make a really memorable sequence and the score choice was a whiff.
I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "score choice," but I was underwhelmed by this. There is a big reason for that:

The first half was a total bore because they made Jenna Ortega's character a useless character. She seemed like a McGuffin to me until midway through when they introduced the twist that I really liked (about the boy she met). It was stereotypical high school kid schmalzy crap. And the afterlife stuff before the Deetz's actually get there wasn't that compelling.

My biggest problem with the movie is that the climax felt like it was 5 minutes long and that's it. The payoff for Monica Belucci was a "blink-and-you-miss-it" moment for me. This felt like a movie that should have had another 30 minutes tagged onto it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "score choice," but I was underwhelmed by this. There is a big reason for that:

The first half was a total bore because they made Jenna Ortega's character a useless character. She seemed like a McGuffin to me until midway through when they introduced the twist that I really liked (about the boy she met). It was stereotypical high school kid schmalzy crap. And the afterlife stuff before the Deetz's actually get there wasn't that compelling.

My biggest problem with the movie is that the climax felt like it was 5 minutes long and that's it. The payoff for Monica Belucci was a "blink-and-you-miss-it" moment for me. This felt like a movie that should have had another 30 minutes tagged onto it.

I was referring to really the song selection during the scene in the church. Beettlejuice had some signature moments with music. They wasted a prime opportunity with this one. My wife and daughters didn't know the song during the Church scene. Then the people sitting next to me ask out loud "what song is that"? It could have been another musical signature moment and it was a total fail. Who's idea was that?

The McGuffin to me was Monica Belucci's character. She spent the movie with short scenes, walking around then bam she was gone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to really the song selection during the scene in the church. Beettlejuice had some signature moments with music. They wasted a prime opportunity with this one. My wife and daughters didn't know the song during the Church scene. Then the people sitting next to me ask out loud "what song is that"? It could have been another musical signature moment and it was a total fail. Who's idea was that?

The McGuffin to me was Monica Belucci's character. She spent the movie with short scenes, walking around then bam she was gone.
Yeah… the whole movie felt overstuffed and underdeveloped at the same time.

Keaton had some moments, but wasn’t given much to work with. Actually thought Catherine O’Hara had the funniest moments in the movie. Also, the daughter storyline was really predictable from the first line the boyfriend said about his parents. Lydia needing to marry needing to marry Thereoux’s character at the end had zero justification and the way her daughter knew the entire handbook like the back of her hand any time that was necessary (sand worms and some clause that broke Beetle’s contract with Lydia) was just lazy. As was going back to the well with the singing sequence, with a song and dance number that wasn’t very funny.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky