Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we only have to wait a year for season 3.5? :sarcasm:
This is really a bizarre thing to bitch about. The Bear is pretty much the ONLY show that actually comes back like clockwork within one year, dropping every June/July, DESPITE a massive strike, whereas ALL other streaming/cable shows now take 18 months to 2 or even 3 years in between seasons.

Also, the three heads of the Bear snake (Carmie, Syd and Ritchie) have become mega-stars, which makes scheduling near impossible, which makes it even MORE impressive that they’re going to write, produce AND do all of post within a year.

I get that you didn’t like this season (I wasn’t a big fan either), but complaining about a one year turnaround for the next season of The Bear, when it turns around faster than any big show on cable/streamers isn’t just bizarre, it’s shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the business works.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is really a bizarre thing to bitch about. The Bear is pretty much the ONLY show that actually comes back like clockwork within one year, dropping every June/July, DESPITE a massive strike, whereas ALL other streaming/cable shows now take 18 months to 2 or even 3 years in between seasons.

Also, the three heads of the Bear snake (Carmie, Syd and Ritchie) have become mega-stars, which makes scheduling near impossible, which makes it even MORE impressive that they’re going to write, produce AND do all of post within a year.

I get that you didn’t like this season (I wasn’t a big fan either), but complaining about a one year turnaround for the next season of The Bear, when it turns around faster than any big show on cable/streamers isn’t just bizarre, it’s shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the business works.
IDGAF about waiting a year to get a new season. You're right; that's pretty good these days. The problem is, we're not waiting a year for season 4. We're waiting a year for the GD writers/showrunners/director/etc to actually finish season 3. That was some epic level FU to the viewership. Oh, but hey, we got at least a tiny teaser that something they built up to the entire season will finally happen...next year. And oh, maybe Sid will make that big decision they teased half the season...next year. And maybe Carmy will finally have more than two minutes of character development...next year.

Wanna see Season 3's arc? It goes something like this: ____________________FAK FAK FAK___________multiple single character focus episodes_________________Carmy doing the same Carmy crap he always does______________________FAK FAK FAK___________________________whole episode of back story______________good scenes with characters chewing the scenery but also_____________________________FAK FAK FAK______________________

What don't you see there? Yeah, an arc. The entire season was the same point A to point B. Except, oh yeah, Carmie finally had a "no duh!" realization. For two minutes, at the very end.

What I'm upset with is that the suckers--you included--are playing it off as no big deal and nothing's wrong, the show's still great, blah blah blah, when you would absolutely DESTROY other shows for doing the exact same thing. It's bull ish and everybody knows it's bull ish, and they're only putting up with it because the show HAS BEEN so good. Now it's a show that's good sometimes but is terribly written in actual plot.

What I'll probably do next season is wait until it's done, ask some trusted folks if it's the same level of BS, and then decide if I want to watch it. Because season 3? Naw. No arc and no payoff = crap season, no matter the other content.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDGAF about waiting a year to get a new season. You're right; that's pretty good these days. The problem is, we're not waiting a year for season 4. We're waiting a year for the GD writers/showrunners/director/etc to actually finish season 3. That was some epic level FU to the viewership. Oh, but hey, we got at least a tiny teaser that something they built up to the entire season will finally happen...next year. And oh, maybe Sid will make that big decision they teased half the season...next year. And maybe Carmy will finally have more than two minutes of character development...next year.

Wanna see Season 3's arc? It goes something like this: ____________________FAK FAK FAK___________multiple single character focus episodes_________________Carmy doing the same Carmy crap he always does______________________FAK FAK FAK___________________________whole episode of back story______________good scenes with characters chewing the scenery but also_____________________________FAK FAK FAK______________________

What don't you see there? Yeah, an arc. The entire season was the same point A to point B. Except, oh yeah, Carmie finally had a "no duh!" realization. For two minutes, at the very end.

What I'm upset with is that the suckers--you included--are playing it off as no big deal and nothing's wrong, the show's still great, blah blah blah, when you would absolutely DESTROY other shows for doing the exact same thing. It's bull ish and everybody knows it's bull ish, and they're only putting up with it because the show HAS BEEN so good. Now it's a show that's good sometimes but is terribly written in actual plot.

What I'll probably do next season is wait until it's done, ask some trusted folks if it's the same level of BS, and then decide if I want to watch it. Because season 3? Naw. No arc and no payoff = crap season, no matter the other content.
Dude… switch to decaf. It’s just a TV show. It was a weak season. It happens. Hopefully they rectify that next year. Good lord.

Also, did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, because of the strike that wiped out SEVEN MONTHS last year, that MAYBE, they didn’t have time to figure out a good enough story once the order was stretched from seasons 3 to 4 because of MASSIVE time constraints. Would you have rather they punted TWO YEARS like everyone else? Let me answer that… no… You would have complained to heavens about that too.

Reality is they got back to work and into production as fast as possible, re-employing HUNDREDS of people, writers, actors and crew who were probably ALL destroyed by the strike and produced a really middling TV season. Would you really rather the alternative… no show for two years and hundreds of desperate people unemployed for an even longer stretch than they already suffered?

These shows don’t just magically appear. There are real world realities behind the make believe that have gotten you so riled up.

Stout

Reaction score
Dude… switch to decaf. It’s just a TV show. It was a weak season. It happens. Hopefully they rectify that next year. Good lord.

Also, did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, because of the strike that wiped out SEVEN MONTHS last year, that MAYBE, they didn’t have time to figure out a good enough story once the order was stretched from seasons 3 to 4 because of MASSIVE time constraints. Would you have rather they punted TWO YEARS like everyone else? Let me answer that… no… You would have complained to heavens about that too.

Reality is they got back to work and into production as fast as possible, re-employing HUNDREDS of people, writers, actors and crew who were probably ALL destroyed by the strike and produced a really middling TV season. Would you really rather the alternative… no show for two years and hundreds of desperate people unemployed for an even longer stretch than they already suffered?

These shows don’t just magically appear. There are real world realities behind the make believe that have gotten you so riled up.
Actually, two years for a good season? It wouldn't have bothered me at all. I sigh when a show isn't coming back for a while, but it usually isn't bothersome (except for Peacemaker lol). Like, it would be nice to have gotten Stranger Things earlier, but whatever.

I can see your perspective on them getting the industry folk back to work, and respect that perspective. That's a legit point. They could have easily followed the original vision, not tried to stretch the series for more cash, and delivered another great season. All those people would have then been employed.

I think what drove me nuts is that so many people don't care how awfully they treated the audience. Like, they're being made to drink piss and smiling about it lol Naw, you refuse to complete any season arcs and tease a to be continued for next season, it's just not on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, two years for a good season? It wouldn't have bothered me at all. I sigh when a show isn't coming back for a while, but it usually isn't bothersome (except for Peacemaker lol). Like, it would be nice to have gotten Stranger Things earlier, but whatever.

I can see your perspective on them getting the industry folk back to work, and respect that perspective. That's a legit point. They could have easily followed the original vision, not tried to stretch the series for more cash, and delivered another great season. All those people would have then been employed.

Dude… you’re making it seem like “more cash” was just for the writers which continues to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the business. Say they followed your lead and took their sweet ass time for the perfect third season. You know what that means? All of their crew that were crushed by the strike would NOT have gone back to work for another YEAR and then they would have been employed for only ONE season. Again, after a strike that brutalized EVERYONE, when given the chance to employ a crew they love for TWO seasons, getting them back in their jobs quicker and promising another year of employment after this one, they should have spit in their crew’s face and blown off two seasons after what everyone went threw? That is patently ridiculous. Telling their crew of hundreds to just “be patient” so they could tell a great ONE season would be a monstrous middle finger to everyone who works their ass to the bone to make the show what it is. Again… as much as the industry is about creativity it’s still A BUSINESS and showrunners have the lives of hundreds resting on their shoulders every damn day, and even more so after a strike that devastated and is still devastating people employed all over the industry.

There has been MASSIVE contraction since the end of the strike. That means a hell of a lot less shows, which means THOUSANDS of fewer jobs. And it’s going to be that way moving forward for at least a while. Showrunners can’t afford to look gift horses in the mouth… not only for themselves but for the hundreds of people working below them.

Bottom line… It was a strike season and felt every bit of it. But that wasn’t The Bear’s fault… it was the damn producers who tried to starve everyone out. You want to turn your bitching on someone, direct it to the ******** who deserve it.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And look, I don’t mean to come off as harsh, but that entire writing team, which created two of the best seasons ever of TV, just doesn’t strike me as the type of group who just mailed in a season “for a cash grab”.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just started episode 1. Fictionalized K8tchen Nightmares so far.

Filmmaking is really good right off the bat.

Stout

Reaction score
And look, I don’t mean to come off as harsh, but that entire writing team, which created two of the best seasons ever of TV, just doesn’t strike me as the type of group who just mailed in a season “for a cash grab”.
No man, I totally get it. No need to back off the harshness. You come at this from an industry perspective, and I have mad respect for that. I come at this from a viewer perspective, as well as a non-TV writer perspective, so my viewpoint is 100 percent different. I'm not going to say I don't care about the workers behind the show, because they are the literal lifeblood of the industry. And you're right, the producers and studios are 100 percent to blame for all the booshie. My problem is, sitting in my easy chair, is that I selfishly wouldn't think about those people and would every day choose the longer wait for the better season. Now, thanks to you, I do know how selfish that is. I'm still not going to be all-in on the bear and will wait to hear how the whole season went before deciding to continue or not, but we are simpatico. And I feel I've talked the issue to death :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22